The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by romprecentor »

Portly Trim looks back to Chendris, perhaps you could use your technique to open this door and we can rescue those on the other side? He stands to one side razor and torch ready.

Fritz moves to the back and assumes his roll of rear guard, more nervous now than ever with club at the ready.
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Chendris nods slowly, keeping his eyes on those checking out the door to see the clues to what they find on their faces even before they say anything...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

So, nobody has said they're opening the door yet ...
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Okay -- duh! -- I missed that I was being offered the 'opportunity' to open it...

Chendris steps up, waggles his fingers, slicks back his thin hair, cracks his knuckles, wipes at his eyebrows, tilts his head to each side -- Falvia punches him in the kidney -- he scowls, and makes the sign of the bug and puts one hand on the panel and with the other turns the handle. He jumps back, ducking, so as not to get pummeled/shot/kicked or what have you...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Thorin and Fosco return and ready themselves, at a distance from the door, as the others try to open it. "Fosco says, has anyone tried to talk to whatever is on the other side or the door?"
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

There's a hiss and a thunk sound, and the door swings toward Chendris. Four people tumble out into the room. (RC, take it away...)

Beyond them, your torchlight illuminates a smaller room with a pile of equipment in one corner, and what looks like a large trunk opposite the door, along the wall. There are no other doors.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

A tall, well built man stumbles out from the open door. He wears a steel helmet on his head, and bears a longsword in his right hand, the pommel of which he has been using to beat the door. As he looks around at the group, he sighs heavily, and sheaths his longsword.

"Thank the heavens," he says. "Friendly faces. I hight Chalmers of Yngvi, esquire, and these unfortunates are my companions: Jack Nimble, the radish farmer, Sexton Abraham, who digs graves, and Cathbad the Meek, an herbalist of no particular note."

The ill-dressed, thin-framed farmer is in his early 20s or late teens, with straw-coloured hair. He has a pitchfork in his hands and a backpack on his back.

Sexton Abraham is an older, thin man with a ready smile and a trowel in his hand. He is even taller than the farmer, although his frame is leaner and appears far less muscular. He wears a short beard but no moustache.

The last member of the party, Cathbad the Meek, is a slight woman with a heart-shaped face, a coil of rope, and a club.

"Erm...Chalmers?" Cathbad asks, "How do we know these are friendly faces?"

It is obvious that, if Chalmers is the leader of these few, Cathbad is the only one with more brains than a bag full of hammers.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc How many PCs are there now?
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

11, I believe.

There should be a spot for your guys to appear shortly, Sven.

And just so it's clear, the pile of equipment belonged to these folks, who've now re-equipped.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"lol" Fosco burst in to laughter followed by tears. " I am sure gald to see more friendly faces in this hell hole!"

Thorin, eyes up the new party members. " Now just how the heck did you all end up in this place and locked in that room?"
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Chendris pets the whiskers on his chin, "Salazar sent another group before ourselves, I take it?"

romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Portly Trim smiles, "Welcome! Well wait, where you here before us? How long have you been in there? What's in the trunk? Got anything to eat?" Trim rubs his belly.

Fritz scans the new group carefully between quick glances down the hall.

OOC: Map is now a link. Door colors are indeed for type of material. Let me know if I messed something up. Thanks!
-Adananx the Awesome.

Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

After rubbing his belly, Portly Trim's hand throbs painfully for a moment, a piercing hot pain, like molten lead in his veins, shoots up from his hand to his elbow.
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Oh my! Trim holds up his hand to examine it wondering what is wrong....
-Adananx the Awesome.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

romprecentor wrote:Oh my! Trim holds up his hand to examine it wondering what is wrong....
The wounds left by the viper fangs (see page 5, I think) are swollen and puffy, tender and quite painful to the touch.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"Yes," says Chalmers, "That was the gentleman. We've been here about a week. I was hired to lead a group into the ruins -"

"He took over the leadership," interrupts Cathbad. "On account of his rank, his helmet, and his sword. Admittedly, he did look the part."

"Yes, well.....things went horribly wrong. We were ambushed by enormous bug creatures that shrieked in the darkness and attacked from above. Some of the expedition were struck down, others disappeared into the darkness... finally, from a terrible nightmare, we awoke in total darkness." He rubs his neck. "Apart from some bruising, we seem unharmed. And then we heard you. You know the rest."

Looking at Portly Trim, Cathbad says, "I'm a herbalist. Maybe I can do something for that hand?"
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Cathbad knows of no cure for a viper bite. She's seen such bites result in death before, or the loss of a limb more often. Animals bitten by vipers are always killed and not eaten, because of the toxic venom, she knows that much. Looking at Portly Trim's hand, she can only shrug... whether he lives or dies, or loses the hand, remains to be seen. But he's got some time... maybe a few days.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"Sorry. This is beyond my skill."
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

"Well, we can't just stand here until something else picks us off..." Darrow says, "We know which way the man who leads these things fled -- we should take the fight to him!"

Flavia shifts forward. "--Or renounce our agreement with Mr. Salazar... So many lives have been lost already! At least as many of us as are standing here now! It may take the King's Guard to clear this pit!"

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"Right!" says Chalmers. "Er, which way?"
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Just to be clear, the pile of equipment with which the four newcomers re-equipped themselves did not include the trunk. That's a separate thing.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Jack Nimble opens the trunk and looks inside, trusting his reflexes to dodge whatever nasty thing might pop out.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The heavy lid opens and a hissing viper lunges at Jack (be) Nimble... Reflex save DC 10 please.

Inside the trunk, beneath the viper, is a strange looking tome, and what appears to be the brass hilt of a sword, standing upright on the bottom of the trunk.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:The heavy lid opens and a hissing viper lunges at Jack (be) Nimble... Reflex save DC 10 please.
11 + 3 = 14. His Nimbleness leaps to one side as the viper lunges at him.

But, dang, he's quick, he wants that sword, and he's not so bright. Jack attempts to grab the viper just below the head, so that it can't bite him. I realize that the odds of success for poor dumb Jack aren't that good, but, hey....what a way to go if he goes, and what a way to stay if he succeeds!

If there is a d20 roll involved, rolz.org says "15".

If Agility helps, Jack is +3. If not, +0.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

A foolhardy, though spectacularly successful, act. Jack Be Nimble indeed.

Jack seizes the viper by the head like some sort of kung-fu master, then proudly displays it to the rest of the party with a big, stupid grin on his peasant farmer's face. The viper wriggles in his grasp violently, being about 4 feet in length, Jack has to hold on to the rest of it with his other hand, or risk losing control over the dangerous serpent.

It is about this time that he realizes the flaw in his plan to grab the hilt. So, he stands there holding the viper for a moment, deciding what to do next . . .

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”