Modern Heroes

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Modern Heroes

Post by Raven_Crowking »

One of the things that I am finding very cool about the DCC RPG is the breadth of campaign world models it embraces and inspires. There is a lot of pulp-era goodness in this game!

It has occurred to me that modern adventurers in a fantasy world could be created using the 0-lvl funnel merely by creating a new occupations chart. Well, that and simple rules for firearms. If a busload of moderns got zapped to your world by some means, what difference would it make if one was a cop with a semi automatic police special? Once the bullets are gone, the weapon is useless.

I am considering doing a write-up on this, if anyone would be interested.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Modern Heroes

Post by Harley Stroh »

This could be very cool. 0-level makes so much sense for "other worlders."

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

I'm exploring the pulpy goodness with my sword and planet campaign. Going great so far! Love the pulp.. that's my appendix N of choice.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:One of the things that I am finding very cool about the DCC RPG is the breadth of campaign world models it embraces and inspires. There is a lot of pulp-era goodness in this game!

It has occurred to me that modern adventurers in a fantasy world could be created using the 0-lvl funnel merely by creating a new occupations chart. Well, that and simple rules for firearms. If a busload of moderns got zapped to your world by some means, what difference would it make if one was a cop with a semi automatic police special? Once the bullets are gone, the weapon is useless.

The 0-Level Occupations in Transylvanian Adventures could be repurposed to do an H.G. Wells sort of Lost World campaign. The character classes too, if you wanted.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

smathis wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:One of the things that I am finding very cool about the DCC RPG is the breadth of campaign world models it embraces and inspires. There is a lot of pulp-era goodness in this game!

The 0-Level Occupations in Transylvanian Adventures could be repurposed to do an H.G. Wells sort of Lost World campaign. The character classes too, if you wanted.
And a cleavage table!!!!!!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Karaptis wrote:
smathis wrote:

And a cleavage table!!!!!!
That has nothing to do with axes!!!!!!!!

:lol:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

smathis wrote: The 0-Level Occupations in Transylvanian Adventures could be repurposed to do an H.G. Wells sort of Lost World campaign. The character classes too, if you wanted.
Now you have my attention.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
dstack
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dstack »

Andre Norton'sWitch World is a good example of a modern hero crossing worlds. Stephen King's Dark Tower series has something similar - more funnel-like actually considering some don't survive the experience and the characters are often zero-level-ish.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:...Once the bullets are gone, the weapon is useless.
Actually, it has at least one more use -- as an improvised thrown weapon... 8)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:...Once the bullets are gone, the weapon is useless.
Actually, it has at least one more use -- as an improvised thrown weapon... 8)
Or club....And often used as either in the pulps! :D
SoBH pbp:

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Another campaign setting that I thought about the other day was Northern Crown. D&D in 1600's America. But, stripping out the goofier bits. But lots of DCC spooky Indian patrons and European witch stuff to play with -- armed with flintlocks and blunderbusses and rapiers...
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Hell, Army of Darkness could capture this mood. Modern Joes (or Ashes) fighting hordes of undead in a "middle ages" setting. I may have to do this! A car and chainsaw... Oooh that's gotta hurt!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

ragboy wrote:Another campaign setting that I thought about the other day was Northern Crown. D&D in 1600's America. But, stripping out the goofier bits. But lots of DCC spooky Indian patrons and European witch stuff to play with -- armed with flintlocks and blunderbusses and rapiers...
Nice. Enter Solomon Kane!
Karaptis wrote:Hell, Army of Darkness could capture this mood. Modern Joes (or Ashes) fighting hordes of undead in a "middle ages" setting. I may have to do this! A car and chainsaw... Oooh that's gotta hurt!
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun! We *so* have to do this as a one shot at a convention somewhere, sometime.

C'mon 3pp, gimme some awesome gun rules!

//H (goes digging for his old Boot Hill set)
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Harley Stroh wrote:
ragboy wrote:Another campaign setting that I thought about the other day was Northern Crown. D&D in 1600's America. But, stripping out the goofier bits. But lots of DCC spooky Indian patrons and European witch stuff to play with -- armed with flintlocks and blunderbusses and rapiers...
Nice. Enter Solomon Kane!
Too true. And he's already been "gamed," so there's something to base it on...
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

If I ever do an Army of Darkness, I will use D20 modern for range and a base on damage.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

New house rule:

When rolling occupation, a 100 (or 00) has a 1 in 100 (100 or 00) of the background being "From another world."

Needs to be fleshed-out, obviously. I should start another thread!
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

Return to “DCC RPG General”