New Kickstarter for Funkier (d18, d11, d15) dice

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

New Kickstarter for Funkier (d18, d11, d15) dice

Post by Rick »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674 ... sided-game

The initial goal is to mass produce spherical d14s & d18s. If they achieve that, the d11s & d15s will be added as stretch goals.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: New Kickstarter for Funkier (d18, d11, d15) dice

Post by finarvyn »

Okay, so what would I do with a d11 or d15 or d18? :?

Seems like we have lots of "villagers storming the castle" about the funky dice we actually use in DCC RPG, let alone the fact that you're producing dice not even in the game. :lol:

This sounds like a cool project but seems like it would sell better if one were to start out with spherical funky dice (d3, d5, d7, d14, d16) used in DCC first, then move on from there. I have a couple of spherical d6's from years agon and they are pretty neat. I can see that a spherical d7 might roll a lot better than the clunky ones out there. 8)

Anyway, just my two coppers.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Hierax
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Hierax »

FYI, You can already buy a very wide variety of even funkier dice from a 3D Printer -- e.g., I have a bunch from Shapeways that expand even beyond the GameScience range (e.g., d18, d22, d26, d28, etc.).
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

How about a Kickstarter for a complete set of DCC RPG dice ? Now thats something I bet alot of members would jump on.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

What about d17 and d19?
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Holy crap, thanks for that Shapeways idea. The Steampunk dice on there are pretty awesome.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Actually a little more granularity in dice isn't a bad idea.

For example, in one game a player wanted to fight using his tomato cart as a "shield" in front of him.
I ruled this would give him +2 AC, but he would roll a d16 for attack because of the cumbersome position.
Having a d18 or d17 at the table would have result in being much more accurate....

:mrgreen:
beshawn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beshawn »

Hierax wrote:FYI, You can already buy a very wide variety of even funkier dice from a 3D Printer -- e.g., I have a bunch from Shapeways that expand even beyond the GameScience range (e.g., d18, d22, d26, d28, etc.).
These are one in the same it seems.

D18 example: http://www.shapeways.com/model/250323/

Notice the note on that item's description that mentions the kickstarter.

The kickstarter is making mass-produced versions (of SOME) of what's already available from this 3D printer vendor, using the shapes as a basis for the moldings. My assumption is the mass produced versions will be a more normal size / weight. I have no idea of the quality of the current 3D-printed dice, since there's only one image shown, and so many materials/colors available.

If anyone owns some of these funky dice from the 3D printer can you paste some nice pics of them in good light, perhaps next to some regular-sized dice?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

What about a point-ed stick?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Magic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Magic »

Hi all,

I am the designers of these dice and I'd like to try to answer some of your questions.

1) What do I do with these dice?
This question is asked each time someone create a new die that has a non-standard number of face. But that's the chicken and egg problem: no game rules ask for a D18, so we do not need a D18, so there is no D18, so no rule ask for one. I want to break this cycle.

2) What about other numbers of faces? Exisiting ones (D3, D5, D7, D14, D16) or non exisiting ones (D17, D19)?
All these dice are available as Spherical dice (I call them Truncated Sphere dice) at Shapeways: actually I designed dice of any number of faces between 3 and 20, 24 is already available and I have plans for 21,22 and 23. But 3D printing is expensive, so they are something like $10 each. This Kickstarter goal is to make some of those dice more affordable (you can get 2 for $8 and the more you get the less they cost).

3) quality of 3D printing?
The quality is quite good, but the object does not feel as finished. On the D14, I did some "post-production": I inked the numbers with a gold pen and coated the die with acrylic varnish. Basically, they feel porous and are quite light compared to standard plastic. Mass production will allow them to have a standard weigt and a more durable plastic.

4) Point-ed sticks?
You can find some at Shapeways. personnally, I prefer rolling dice. :)

Let me know if you have other questions.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Hey, Magic, and welcome aboard. Nice to see a dice designer on the boards, since DCC RPG makes use of such interesting shapes.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Magic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Magic »

Hi Finarvyn,

Thank you for this warm welcome. I am always happy to speak about dice since I love designing them. :wink:
3D printing is quite expensive (that's the reason of this KickStarter) but I have added for you a special set of dice in my shop: check the DCC Expansion Pack!
CG Rendering of the six dice
CG Rendering of the six dice
DCC.jpg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 61013 times
By puting all the dice together the price is a bit lower (because you pay only one handling fee for 6 dice, and this should hopefully be tolerated by Shapeways, even if borderline).
All those dice are consistent (truncated spheres, with the same distance from center to faces). Let me know what you think about this dice set.
Cheers,

Magic
beshawn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beshawn »

Magic wrote:Hi Finarvyn,

Thank you for this warm welcome. I am always happy to speak about dice since I love designing them. :wink:
3D printing is quite expensive (that's the reason of this KickStarter) but I have added for you a special set of dice in my shop: check the DCC Expansion Pack!
DCC.jpg
By puting all the dice together the price is a bit lower (because you pay only one handling fee for 6 dice, and this should hopefully be tolerated by Shapeways, even if borderline).
All those dice are consistent (truncated spheres, with the same distance from center to faces). Let me know what you think about this dice set.
Cheers,

Magic
How about a set for the REALLY oddball ones?

D9, D11, D13, D15, D17, D18, D19, D32, D33
Magic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Magic »

Hi Beshawn,

I cannot put so many dice in a set.
But I gathered all the dice with an odd number of face from D9 to D19.
Odd Spherical Dice Set (from D9 to D19)
Odd Spherical Dice Set (from D9 to D19)
OddSet.jpg (20.45 KiB) Viewed 60850 times
You will have to get the other dice separately.
Hope this helps.

BTW, the KickStarter is going rather well and as soon as the goal is reach, a streched goal will be defined in order to add a third weird die. Backers will decide which one, but as the theme is "all even dice" this could be the brand new D22...
:D

Cheers,

Magic
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

Magic, congrats on getting 100% funded. I'll definitely be chipping in an extra $3 for that set of d3s. Here's my vote for adding the d22 as a stretch goal, too.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Want the d22 but getting a nicer d7 would be just as good.
Magic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Magic »

Thank you all. I am very happy that the project has been funded. I can't wait to see how the D14 and D18 look with more "traditional" manufacturing process (injection molding is traditional, right?). :D
The stretched goal to have a third dice (probably the D22 according to the current results of the poll) is quite high ($12,700) but still reachable. So stay tuned!

I've seen also that someone bought my Odd Sperical Dice Set: thank you and, please, do post a feedback when they arrive!

Cheers,

Magic
bill4935
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bill4935 »

I'm in. This is a great kickstarter for those of us addicted to new dice. Time to start rationalizing my spending... Hey, it seems like DCC could use a D18 in the dice chain, couldn't it? Or even if it's just the mechanical application of a successful quest to increase a halfling's skill in combat.

One day in the future I'll have 18 red gem dice running from D3 to D20, but for now the even numbered ones in opaque red will have to do.
Magic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Magic »

Just to let you know that the stretched goal for the D7 has been reached! It is now available through the KickStarter (along with the D14, the D18 the D22 and more traditional dice)!
Many thanks to all the backers of this community!
Hierax
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Hierax »

Thanks for making these dice! I ordered a vast pile on the Kickstarter to add to the Shapeways ones from a while back and hope you'll be able to get those d26s and d28s done the same way sometime (as well as the rest of the missing odds to d30). Thanks again for all your efforts to improve gaming!
beshawn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beshawn »

Magic wrote:... I've seen also that someone bought my Odd Sperical Dice Set: thank you and, please, do post a feedback when they arrive!
As promised: Some pictures of the shapeways dice (ordered from Magic) with a few other dice thrown in for comparison. These are all "White Strong & Flexible Polished"; the quality is higher than expected! I'm still undecided on how to best ink these without ruining them. The material feels strong/durable. They do feel slightly lighter than injection molded plastic dice, as i believe the material is somewhat porous. If you want weird dice, don't hesitate to order... I recommend the white polished material, best material for the price.

Large images below.

d11 - d18

d17, d18, d19

d9, d11, d13

d18, d19, d22
Magic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Magic »

Wow, thank you very much for posting these pictures!

Polished White Strong and Flexible is a great material, I like how smooth it is (for a 3D printing material I mean :D ).
On my side, I usually use the Colored Strong and Flexible which are actually dyed with fabric dyes by Shapeways, but if you want to do so by yourself please ensure that the dye you buy can be used with Nylon since this material is Nylon. Then, I use a pencil with gel ink (the kind of pencil sold for writing in white, silver or gold on a red Christmas card) to ink the numbers, since Nylon is indeed very porous (regular ink would bleed).
I finish with one or two layers of clear acrylic varnish, for protection.
You can check the Post Production forum of Shapeways for more ideas.
beshawn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beshawn »

Magic wrote:Wow, thank you very much for posting these pictures!

Polished White Strong and Flexible is a great material, I like how smooth it is (for a 3D printing material I mean :D ).
On my side, I usually use the Colored Strong and Flexible which are actually dyed with fabric dyes by Shapeways, but if you want to do so by yourself please ensure that the dye you buy can be used with Nylon since this material is Nylon. Then, I use a pencil with gel ink (the kind of pencil sold for writing in white, silver or gold on a red Christmas card) to ink the numbers, since Nylon is indeed very porous (regular ink would bleed).
I finish with one or two layers of clear acrylic varnish, for protection.
You can check the Post Production forum of Shapeways for more ideas.
My plan of action is to use spray-on clear sealant (on one die at first), then ink using my ultra-fine tipped permanent marker pen, which I've used on GameScience dice, and finish with another layer of sealant. If all goes well I'll post pictures of those as well.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

Interesting bit of news from the latest project update:
We are already planning our next dice KickStarter for spring of next year to work on finishing a Dungeon Dice set. We've talked to Goodman Games and while we cannot license from them the name of their game official for the set ... they are interested in seeing the final set and possibly carrying them in the store.

So with that in mind ... what spherical dice are needed to complete the set and match up with the 8 colors we are producing. They are D3, D5, D16 and D24
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

this is really interesting stuff. Sorry I missed out on the kickstarter. Why the honk does it cost to get licenses for dice? Are d4's, for example, copyrighted?
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!

Return to “DCC RPG General”