Extremely positive DCC RPG review posted on Youtube

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Extremely positive DCC RPG review posted on Youtube

Post by Rick »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAJA4VWvGC4

Note that it's 25 minutes long :!: but I thought it was well worth watching.
Apisfurioso
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Extremely positive DCC RPG review posted on Youtube

Post by Apisfurioso »

That's nice. There are also some other good DCC links from that video.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

I find it interesting that this youtube video is increasingly being posted to forums and the number of views of the video are increasing. Comments on the video page indicate that it has convinced some people to buy the game. That speaks to me of the power of youtube and podcasts in promoting rpg games. So I'm going to bang on again about a point I made some time ago, please bear with me.

The DCC RPG has been somewhat controversial; weird dice, lots-a-tables, 3d6 in order, the funnel, etc.
It's created a lot of love-hate responses; The hate responses are largely (if not exclusively) from people who have not read the book or played the game.
There are a number of notable posts on forums from people effectively saying, "I thought from reading info about the game that it would be rubbish, but now that I've read the book/played the game, I'm a convert!"

It seems that a significant issue is that if you haven't actually read the system and/or tried playing it, it's easy to get the wrong impression. I suspect that, because of it's very nature, the DCC RPG is especially prone to this.

I suggest that actual play podcats and/or youtube videos (especially ones that take the time to explain the mechanics during play), would do a lot in convincing those who are on the fence or outright hostile to DCC RPG.

It's not as if these media are not used for rpgs (e.g., rpgpodcats.com, Troll Lords Games video blogs, WotC celebrity game videos, even Goodman Games videos).

Wouldn't it be great if Goodman Games could record a session or two (say at a convention) and have them available as podcasts? Especially if the emphasis is on explaining the system mechanics and demonstrating the flow and speed of the game.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Dracones
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Dracones »

Stainless wrote: It seems that a significant issue is that if you haven't actually read the system and/or tried playing it, it's easy to get the wrong impression. I suspect that, because of it's very nature, the DCC RPG is especially prone to this.

I suggest that actual play podcats and/or youtube videos (especially ones that take the time to explain the mechanics during play), would do a lot in convincing those who are on the fence or outright hostile to DCC RPG.
Wrong impression described me. I saw the preview PDF for DCC awhile back and was instantly turned off. The character funnel, 3d6 straight down, spell level limits based on int, etc were pretty big turn offs. The youtube video got me interested in DCC mostly due to describing the warrior die and how other classes had their own special thing like that(like thieves and luck). Also the "1 full page per spell" intrigued me enough to pick it up.

I think the difference was that many "old school" games put out that initial lack of choice and character customization as sort of a hard school badge of honor. They feel pretty narrow and limiting. As in, "Hey I'd like to play wizard" - "Oh, so sorry, you rolled a 12 int, maybe next time". The difference is with DCC is once you read it you get a feel that your starting character stats/background doesn't matter because the game is just so open ended.

It's basic/expert gone gonzo in a world of deep unique flavor where anything and everything can happen. Tim the baker who can barely read may very well one day become the world's greatest sorcerer.

Return to “DCC RPG General”