Design Discussion

Forum for discussion of the 2007 DCC tournament.

Moderator: Harley Stroh

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Jengenritz wrote:You bumped your room count up to 8...and by making the party solve the Big Puzzle to get to the bad guy, you're indicating they have to go through each area, reducing chances they reach our Foozil.
The total of 8 includes: unique entrance (3) + the center puzzle (1) + center puzzle side rooms (3) + finale (1). But if 8 is too many I'm happy to cut it down.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I really like the idea of a Warduke type at the end. You're right, the wizard thing has been used a lot. A big, badass fighter with a huge magic sword, spiked plate mail, and a potion of haste could make for a fun beatdown session.

I also like the idea of three alternate dungeons. Harley's idea of different styles (sewer, main entry, etc.) sounds good to me. Heh heh, imagine how confused they'll all be when they compare notes after round one!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

This means Harley will have to be brutal with keeping the ELs parallel.

For example, the three versions of the Alignment Encounter all had to be EL 6 no matter what else, but for this you're talking about a different animal.

You probably should set up an EL "schedule" or something...

area 1-1A,B,C = EL X
area 1-2A,B,C = EL Y
area 1-3A,B,C = EL Z

...and have the writers stick to it.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Different themes for each of the round 1's is fine. The hard part will be balancing the encounters so team A doesn't feel shafted b/c their encounters were more difficult. With EL's and CRs (boy we love 'em), its easier to balnce encounter then in the old days.

I side with Adrian on the cleric assassin idea? Sounds cool, but from a game mechanics standpoint probably to hard to pull off. What about a cleric/fighter. You know big melee beef plus some rocking defense spells and undead minions. The minions idea is good too. His #1 assistent could be a mage or illusionist. I like the illusionist idea-they always seemed like an evil class in 1st/2nd edition.

Here's a thought that might interst Mr. Pommier: a Dark Druid! Chew on that!

Joe Crow came up with many cool puzzles for DCC#15. Not sure of his availability, but I bet he can maybe provide outlines or ideas we can flesh out.

Chris
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Warduke-style would be freakin' sweet. Wish T. Truman were available, but it sounds like he is spending all his time writing/drawing Conan these days..

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Here's a thought that might interst Mr. Pommier: a Dark Druid! Chew on that!
Oh yeah! LaSalle's Sunless Garden was the first DCC I ever picked up as swag, and I loved it.

IN FACT, in the DCC game I'm running for the Long Island crowd I inserted Nockmort into the misty fey island (Harley, this being Halls of the Minotaur). I also removed the homunculus (I'll explain later, it's complicated) and replaced it with a made-up apprentice for Gavuhn Donnel, the transmuter from Temple of the Dragon Cult.

Anyway, back to wicked druids...great idea. Nature can be harsh, baby, and it can be cruel. Plan on seeing at least one of them in Whiterock.
I think I've said this before, but I really wish there was an OGL Vermin Druid...I like vermin.
I'd say they are the least-represented creature type in the game...even the animals get dire forms, and what's a druid or ranger without an animal companion? No love for carapace...
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

arlanni wrote:Joe Crow came up with many cool puzzles for DCC#15. Not sure of his availability, but I bet he can maybe provide outlines or ideas we can flesh out.
Last I heard he'd sworn off writing forever. Of course, he's done that three or four times, and I hear the fifth time's the charm!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Last I heard he'd sworn off writing forever. Of course, he's done that three or four times, and I hear the fifth time's the charm!

Wow, was DCC #15 that bad?[/quote]
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

You know that the notes you got on DCC #15 were his second draft, right? He actually finished a 12,000 word manuscript... decided it wasn't "right"... and deleted the entire file... !!!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Design Team,

I'm still working up with the second draft of the maps. Sorry for the hold up.

//H

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

So I tried a couple different designs but they all felt like crap. In the end, I just went back the pruned a few of the loose corridors. I'll be happy to hit it agian, but I don't want to hold up the design for much longer.

I like the design of a small, magical keep. Much larger and it is hard to come up with excuses for the lack of rooms. But keeping it small harkens back to the first round of Temple of Elemental Evil, and the Bargle castle in the Mentzer's red book.

Here's a run down of the paths and rooms. Note that the very first "area" of each path is intended to be a player intro room with no actual encounters. This, with the other changes, should insure that most folks get to the final encounter.

Balancing encounters on first round should be fairly easy with 0-lvl characters. The tough part will be writing cool encounters that don't kill off our PCs right away. :)

Traps: I went light on the traps, since only dwarven experts will have a shot, and then only at stonework traps. I'd like, if possible, for the "traps" to be apparent, so that players can think their way through them if needed.

http://www.poisonclanpress.com/rough2.jpg

Path A: In through the front door.
Area - A1: Player beginning. Coming through the old moat house.
Area - A2: Covered hall. Remnants of Sezrekan's magical defenders? Combat encounter.
Area - A3: Covered balcony. Some sort of magical trap + puzzle involved with mosaics/statuary/bas reliefs. Ala Tomb of Horror handouts.

Path B: In through the ruins.
Area - B1: Player beginning. Slope up to broken wall.
Area - B2: West Tower. Combat encounter.
Area - B3: Warlock's Great Hall. Some sort of magical trap +puzzle.

Path C: In through the sewers.
Area - C1: Currently off map. Cave in the hillside, funneling out of keep.
Area - C2: Well/Drain. Raistlin's (sp?) Tower of High Sorcery has a pit where dark mages toss all their failed experiments. Something similar here.
Area - C3: Warlock's Laboratory. Ruined, heavy on description (cool things to investigate). Again, a puzzle + trap room.

Area - 4: Hall of 3 Gates. At last our paths converge. I drew in liquid for some sort of dynamic room feature, but the specifics should be left up to the room designer. Flaming oil? Wafting demonic ethers? Something that plays a role in round 3 would be cool.

Gates 4a and 4b are active. Step through them and be faced with a puzzle or combat. Solve the puzzle and you return with a key. Return with both keys and you are able to activate gate 4c.

Go through 4c and confront the freed cambion.

I left the encounters behind 4a, b & c, undrawn so that they the designers can tailor them to the encounter. Encore encounters will be built off the of the cambion's chamber.

A party can start at any entrance and get to the end encounter in 7 steps, 6 if you don't count the entrance.

PCs might very well get off course and investigate the rest of the keep once they make it to Area 4, but that's their fault. They've been sent on a mission with a time restraint --- getting off course once you see the 2 glowing portals is your choice.
Last edited by Harley Stroh on Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Harley,

I like it! It has an old school feel. I envision area 4 to be a meaty encounter (ala the Castellen in VotDK). There should be alot to do in that room.

We need to make sure the starting encounter funnels the PCs to their chosen (by us) adventure path. You know" You trudge down the sewer passage and arrive at a portcullis.... What do you do?"

Chris
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

That makes a lot of sense. So all of the "player beginnings" will be descriptive in content, despositing PCs at A2, B2 and C2.

Area 4 is definitely where the action is at. That said, still need to give the PCs a chance to recover before the final showdown. Maybe there is some healing hidden in 4a or 4b.

//H

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I agree, this is very good. I love the term "warlock." I'm so used to "wizard" and "sorcerer" being defined game terms. "Warlock" conjures up some of the mystery... "What powers does this guy really have?"

My only callout: area 4 should have some really obvious hint to go north so there's no doubt that where to go. That way no one can complain that they didn't know what to do.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

The map looks good, and the area encounters as described sound pretty cool. To put it another way, the map radiates "fun."
Go through 4c and confront the freed cambion.

So he's already loose in round 1? I thought we "freed" him by killing his mortal half.
area 4 should have some really obvious hint to go north...
Agreed 100%, but for slightly different reasons. Not so much from a "we didn't know what to do" standpoint, but a "we want you to reach the end" standpoint: tournament teams are accustomed to being expected to explore a lot of the dungeon. I can see a team saying: "Hey, we found the end...how about we check out the rest of the floor and come back later?"

Harley, I know you mentioned giving this to another designer, but this area is the keystone that holds together all three round 1s. In order for it to be "just right," you may have to write it.
That said, still need to give the PCs a chance to recover before the final showdown. Maybe there is some healing hidden in 4a or 4b.

Seizing the Macguffins from areas 4A and 4B, and then putting them in whatever place they need in area 4C, could trigger a mass cure light wounds usable once/week.

Then, in round three, when the players have to remove them, we trigger a mass harm-like effect ('cause there is no such spell).

Whatever kind of healing we provide, it needs to be limited otherwise it will get abused.

arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Adrian makes some good points. I agree, whoever designs area 4 should be a veteren designer we've worked with before.

I also agree that the healing should be limited. I think its great to "change things up" for round three. Use the players knowledge against them! What once was a secret door, is now a trap laden secret door that alerts the occupants of the next room. That kinda stuff.

Chris
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I agree this all sounds good.

Joseph and I spoke last night. We're going to hold off on commissioning authors for the rooms until after the Dec 1 rush. But between now and then we need to get a sense of what we want round 2 to look like.

Any thoughts?

//H

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Well, we talked about a "first appearance" of the Death Star. I threw out a half-baked idea of a "race to save the king during an invasion from above" idea that put a clock on the round.

I guess the main question is: what do we want to accomplish in this round?

Reveal that the round 1 bad guy is still alive, or keep that hidden? Make the players do X, where X is something that stretches the PCs abilities (like do a lot of jumping, running, riding, etc)?

That's where I'd start. Personally, I love mounted combat, and you rarely see it 'cause horses don't fit well into 5' corridors and dungeons.

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

^ also...hasn't there been a paladin in every tournament module so far? and no use for the special mount yet...I'm just saying!

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Yeah, it's too much. Even if they were already in the castle when the attack happens and they have to get to the throne room (thus limiting the chaos of a city-under-seige scenario and confining us to corridors, galleries, and rooms again), it's probably still too "non-dungeon-crawly."

Maybe it is better left for a non-tournament experience. Although it sounds cinematic as all get-out. Let's side-table this idea.

SO! Round 2! Doyle mentioned an evil druid at one point.

The cambion has agents acquiring materials he needs for his castle. Many of them are doing nefaroius things. One of them, the evil druid, is working on a propulsion system for the flying castle by harnessing elemental wind.

The town of Morcault near the Witchwood (or any town bordering a forest) has had some strange atmospheric disturbances lately. For days the air will be still, stagnant, and hard to breathe, then it will suddenly gust violently and flatten buildings, or create tornados.

One thing they've noticed: no matter what the wind is like in town, there's always a gentle breeze at Ironwood Tower, an ancient, living tree that used to be a stronghold for druids...a living tower.

The party is hired to investigate Ironwood Tower. Unknown to them, the evil druid at the top has opened a pinhole to the Plane of Elemental Air.

The party clears this dungeon, gets to the top, finds all kinds of clues to a very familiar flying castle and the continued existence of the cambion, defeats the druid and shuts the pinhole.

Meanwhile, other agents of the cambion complete the castle's lift and propulsion.
As the finale, the party returns to the site of round 1 to find that the castle is gone, wrenched from the earth, leaving a great hole.

Da-dum-DUMMMM!

Round 3 is our city-under-seige scenario as the cambion deploys his new toy. The party is inserted into the Death Star as the battle begins, they have four hours until the city is destroyed. And GO!

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Not sure what happened, but my response to Harley's post got put ahead of his. Weird. Anyway, Harley's "flow chart" post comes before my Ironwood Tower post.

EDIT: So does this one. Joseph, any idea what's going on?

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

It would take a metric ton of playtesting, but we could potentially do an flow chart chase/rescue through the crowded city streets.

The city watch sites the approaching citadel, throwing the populace into a panic, and flooding the streets with awe struck civilians. The villain uses this chaos in an attempt to kidnap the king, forcing the PCs (who recognize the citadel and its implications --- see below) to chase after the villains, who are making an escape with his royal highness.

Dodging overturned fruit carts, angry vendors, terrified peasants, while being ambushed on all sides by rear guard bad guys. Catch up to the fleeing villains, and everything devolves into a back alley showdown --- the climax of round 2.

Cons: We will need a flow chart mechanic that is bombproof, something that's not just ride checks.

//H

arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Whoa! Adrian has outdone himself again. He's like a radio station that just plays 80's music: the hits just keep coming.

I like the Ironwood Tower idea. A living tower=a nice (small) dungeon for our PCs frought with all sorts druidic and elemental baddies. I say we run with this idea. An evil druid will be a nice change of pace bad guy, yet we are not restricted by it for 3 rounds. Plus I see lots of tourney point potential (close the pinhole). I think we might need to work on timing though. If the PCs are to increase several levels between round 2 and 3, we need to delay the launch of the castle.

BTW, I'm banished to the field most of next week, so I'll be out of touch. If anyone needs to chat with me, try calling my home number and leave a message with Lisa. I can try to get in touch in between field projects.

Chris
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

That sounds good, and is nicely rooted in DCC World. We need to be sure to drop some clear tie-ins into the 1st and 3rd episode so that the entire tournament holds together, thematically.

I.e., the castle is clearly overrun by a wicked nature presence. That sort of thing.

Hmmm. So perhaps our round one connection looks something like this:

PCs are all apprentices, servants, foundlings of a nice white mage. One day all his tower pets (cats, owls, weasels) vanish into the woods and the PCs were sent to retrieve them. And even though he told you never to go into the Ruins of XXXX, thats where the animals are, so there you go.

The animals were lured by the presence of druid X, who is setting his lover, a half-demon, half-mortal that was imprisoned beneath the castle long, long ago.

====

This obviously still needs some work. Hmm.

//H

arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

I like it. Nice to get a nature/animal feel to a dungeon crawl. I like the hook- go get the fleeing animals. Sounds like something fledgling PCs would be up for, and something a master would send his apprentices on. We should tie the master into the later rounds. Such as the half demon knocking off our goodly wizard (perhaps the wizard was invilved in his imprisonment?), to set the stage for the beginning of round 2 or 3.

As we further develop our adventure outline, we need to start thinking about the PC types and party composition. Can someone compile a quick table of the PC classes and races used in the first 3 DCC tourney adventures? That way we can avoid trends (ie paladins) and look to some new PC concepts.

Chris

Return to “DCC-2007 Tournament”