Gamestation Dice came today and I am sad

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Gamestation Dice came today and I am sad

Post by Devil Swine »

:(
I have been waiting for my cool wacky dice to get here for three days(no issue with there very fast delivery) and today when I got home the unopened box waited for me in the mailbox!
I Hooted and yelled for my son to come and take a look as we opened the box and pulled out the dice. I was a little cheap as the two sets plus shipping already cost me $30 I did not get the inked dice.

Out rolled the worst dice I have ever seen.All of them look to have had something like a box-cutter mark them up all over. Most of the marks do not look like they would make the dice roll bad.Just look ugly as all heck.

At first I wasn't THAT upset.Functional but ugly dice wasn't anything to really get all upset about.Besides I wanted to play some DCC with them! Once we started to use crayon to fill in the numbers all those thousands of little cracks really stood out and made the dice hard to read at times(is that a 4 or 14?"

The we got to one of the 24 siders and right away felt this knot/raised broken place right in the middle of 7 and 14. You can NOT roll a 7 or 14 on this die! Grr I checked the other one and discovered the same thing! Also right between the 7 and 14!

So two of the dice can't even be used! I paid $30 for this!

I called Gamestation right away and got the machine..not open after 5 EST. So if I can either get home tomorrow before 5(doubt it) or sneak away for a lunch call on my cell phone I will hear something from them and let you guys know.

All I can say is that at this point I really wish I had ordered my dice somewhere else.
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Re: Gamestation Dice came today and I am sad

Post by Ducaster »

Sorry to hear of you experience but..

THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP

I was considering getting some of these! Not a chance now I'll wait on Chessex to supply my local game store with some of the ones I want from their range.
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Go to youtube and look up gamescience dice and Lou Zocchi himself will tell you why his dice are ugly and why you should not accept "clean rounded" dice since rounding them means they are no longer "true".
Eldric IV
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Eldric IV »

If it was a blemish, it is no problem.

However, he said there is a raised bump that prevents the die from landing on 7 or 14. That is not the kind of blemish Lou mentions in his video (which is purely cosmetic).
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Are you sure, it was mentioned with my set that some sanding to get rid of the bumps maybe required.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

1- All the dice have had there entire surface cut with something like a box cutter. Every face of the die has 2-6 small thin cuts. I do not think that they will effect the roll,but ugly as all heck. For $30 I would expect nice looking dice.

2- Both 24 siders do have a large broken area that I tried to sand down. After several minutes of sanding at least the broken areas are now flat and smooth but with a large crack.I hope will not effect the die roll but who can tell? Again for $24 +$6 shipping I just would expect better.

Called Gamestation and can't get a person.Left a message and a callback number.

We will see.
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

Gamestation called today and they will replace the two unusable dice(D24) and helped me deal with the rest. The small cuts are some sort of molding issue and will not be replaced. They are standard is what the guy said. He agreed that they make it VERY hard to ink but shouldnt mess up the roll.

The replacement die will even come inked to help make up for the issues.

I'm not sure what to think to be honest. These dice are for sure the worst looking dice I own, They are also the only dice I own that were not factory inked so maybe its just the way with uninked dice. Still when viewed side by side with much cheaper dice that came inked I can't help but feel that they were not worth it.

At least now we will have the dang dice to play with and I can stop with the nutty dice math we had to do with the normal dice.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Thanks for the tip. I will NOT order Gamestation dice.

Other dice companies can make quality dice without cuts & molding issues. They cant??
They only replaced 2 dice? Thats not good customer service at all.

Can you put up some pics of the dice??
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Devil Swine wrote:Gamestation called today and they will replace the two unusable dice(D24) and helped me deal with the rest. The small cuts are some sort of molding issue and will not be replaced. They are standard is what the guy said. He agreed that they make it VERY hard to ink but shouldnt mess up the roll.

The replacement die will even come inked to help make up for the issues.

I'm not sure what to think to be honest. These dice are for sure the worst looking dice I own, They are also the only dice I own that were not factory inked so maybe its just the way with uninked dice. Still when viewed side by side with much cheaper dice that came inked I can't help but feel that they were not worth it.

At least now we will have the dang dice to play with and I can stop with the nutty dice math we had to do with the normal dice.

I certainly wont order anything from them. Other companies can make quality dice- why cant they?
echoota
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by echoota »

Which brand of dice did you get? The Koplow or Gamescience?
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Ducaster »

Blood Axe wrote:
I certainly wont order anything from them. Other companies can make quality dice- why cant they?
I would dearly like to know which dice you ordered? Gamestation.net has Dice from at least THREE manufacturers that I can easily see on their web site.

Chessex, Gamescience (L. Zocchi type) Armory and Koplow are all mentioned regularly in their "Individual Dice" section as far as I can see..? Maybe there are more but I didn't look that hard.

But likewise can anybody who has bought from them please post some Pics, as this may well influence which dice Goodman's decide to eventually supply through their own site. (I seem to recall the boss mentioning that they would do so eventually someplace)
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

I want to say Gamescience but im not 100% sure. Will look around for the packaging if it hasn't been thrown away. I do not think I was very specific when I ordered "I want to order some of your Zocchi dice".

If I can figure out how to take a picture I will.
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Blood Axe wrote:Thanks for the tip. I will NOT order Gamestation dice.

Other dice companies can make quality dice without cuts & molding issues. They cant??
They only replaced 2 dice? Thats not good customer service at all.

Can you put up some pics of the dice??
I ordered pre-inked dice from them and they came in a timely manner. Had no blemishes or other issues.
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Ducaster »

If any of the dice have rounded edges the're NOT Genuine Zocchi's. Old man Lou is almost paranoid about that. Zocchi dice have almost razor like edges as a rule ROFL.

Personally I have always gone for Gem dice, I have yet to see a Gem with the marks you describe on yours in 20+ years of being in the hobby. I am assuming yours are not gems?
Malovech
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Malovech »

Let me chime in with my support of GameScience Zocchi dice. Mine are sharp as caltrops and a little ugly, but they roll perfectly. There is a bit of left over plastic "flash" from being in a sprue, but it doesn't effect rolling and/or could be easily sanded off.
tithian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by tithian »

As jmucchiello mentioned, Zocchi has already addressed your concerns directly on his website and in this youtube video:

Dice Manufacturing Video Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2fxoNHIuU

Dice Manufacturing Video Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmkWrDb ... re=related

You'll probably feel like a bit of a heel after you watch the videos.

However, not addressed on the video is the fact that the opaque dice are not as smooth as the gem dice. This difference in quality is reflected in the price difference: $9 for a set of opaques vs. $30 for a set of gems.
Eldric IV
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Eldric IV »

tithian wrote:As jmucchiello mentioned, Zocchi has already addressed your concerns directly on his website and in this youtube video
And as I already mentioned, some of the defects he is complaining about are not the cosmetic blemishes Lou mentions in that video.

You'll probably feel like a bit of a heel after you realize that. :P
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

A picture is worth 1,000 words....lol.

Anyway... for $30 a dice set- they better not ahve any blemishes or defects. $9 I wouldnt complain if they were less than perfect. But they still need to be usable.
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Ducaster »

So I got a set of Gamescience dice today, despite my misgivings. Not inked them yet but have inspected them carefully. Yes there was clear evidence of sprue clip here and there and the sapphire d20 seemed particularly bad but nothing that would hinder a roll most of the time.

On one or two I noted hairline creases on the face of them that could mar the inking unless I take extra care but these were rare and not all over the place as the original poster described.

The d6 has very slight convex faces that if anything just accents the super crisp edges of the die however and I don't see it as a problem. Apart from that these are good usable dice once I refinish the d20 sprue cut and put some ink on them, so I have no complaints at all personally.

I put a quick snapshot of them on my FB Album page. here's the link to it as folks (myself included) have been asking for piccies

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 8a333bbfe1
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Thanks for the pic. I see 11 dice- how much were they?
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Ducaster »

Blood Axe wrote:Thanks for the pic. I see 11 dice- how much were they?
Well as I had to do things the flash way (always been a sucker for Gem dice) they were a good bit more than standard Zocchi's.

Whats in the pic was $22 worth. With shipping it was $26

The "standard" opaque Zocchi's start at about $6 for a set of 7 as I recall. Then you gotta add about $3-5 shipping etc on the order.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Seems slightly high for uninked dice to me. Especially if you have to do any work. (sanding, removing flash,etc.)
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Ducaster »

Well I did have to trim down one bump on the d24 as I said with a few strokes of a sharp knife (You can't sand Gem dice without destroying how they look) But that was about it.

I have now Inked them which was laughably easy if a bit time consuming (lots of number faces ton this lot!) and that showed up minute hair thin molding lines on some. But once I had wiped off the excess paint you can only see these slight lines here and there with a magnifying glass or if you hold them up to your nose.

Overall I am satisfied with these dice. They might have been a bit more expensive than some but their super sharp edges and the fact they do NOT roll across the whole table every throw makes them so worth it
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Ducaster »

Finally got this set Inked when the back order came. For the idle curious here's a pic.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 8a333bbfe1
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

To be honest, I only ordered the ones I needed: d3, d5, d7, d14, d16. The d7 is an oddball style, but is the only one on the market, I believe. I was already familiar with Gamescience dice, so I knew what to expect. Right now I think Gamescience is the only company making these dice, so I think this is what you'll get wherever you buy them. Koplow makes d24 and D30, and that's the manufacturer that mine came from. I saw Lou Zocchi's videos a long time ago. He's a bit a a showman about it, but I do appreciate his manufacturing style now.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.

Return to “DCC RPG General”