What are your top ten DCC modules?

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

outlander78
Ill-Fated Peasant

What are your top ten DCC modules?

Post by outlander78 »

Hi folks.

I got into DCC very late in the game, during the clearance sale at Paizo, so my collection is very thin and probably won't improve. I picked a few based on their descriptions. My choices were:

Dungeon Crawl Classics #3: The Mysterious Tower
Dungeon Crawl Classics #4: Bloody Jack's Gold
Dungeon Crawl Classics #7: The Secret of Smuggler's Cove
Dungeon Crawl Classics #14: Dungeon Interludes
Dungeon Crawl Classics #20: Shadows in Freeport
Dungeon Crawl Classics #24: Legend of the Ripper
Dungeon Crawl Classics #29: The Adventure Begins
Dungeon Crawl Classics #48: The Adventure Continues
Dungeon Crawl Classics #51: Castle Whiterock

What are your top ten (or five, or one) DCC modules, and why?
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: What are your top ten DCC modules?

Post by GnomeBoy »

I own only about 15 DCC's -- wait a sec I did pick up a few pdf's just before the 'End'... so make that about 19 or 20. So far, I've only run two and I'm preparing a third to run soon... So this is a top 1 list (to date).

Temple of the Dragon Cult. Why? Because my players really enjoyed it when they explored via wizard eye to find Pyraxus, fought him in his chamber, he flew out, they pursued, and were then confronted with the cult who had captured what was left of the soldery along with a couple of NPCs the PCs were supposed to be caring for...

When the injured dragon swooped down upon them as they battled the cult and it's minions, blasting them with his firey breath, it was the highlight of the night. They greatly enjoyed the module as played.

I really need to get to the story summary soon.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

I'll start with a Top 1 for the 3.5 DCC's, and that's the $2 module The Transmuter’s Last Touch by Jeff LaSala. Running this module was my first time ever dm'ing for a group, and I think for a simple 1st level dungeon crawl this specific one was really a lot of fun and very well put-together. My group had a lot of fun playing it. I would say that the funnest part for them was probably when they finally made it to Tazex, the big bad magic-infused kobold, I rolled really, really bad and I think 2 of them rolled crits in the first round. Let's just say Tazex his rear-end handed to him quite quickly.

As far as a 1st level module goes, and slapping the $2 price on it was a great move, for me and my group anyway- I bought it and it opened me up to being confident in getting behind the screen more and opened them up to playing DCC's. ;)

It's early to list any of the 4E DCC's, but I really love both of the Punjar modules. That whole twist on the Lankhmar vibe is awesome. I ran it when it first came out, but a couple of the people who played it left the group before we could properly finish the last couple of encounters, and I was asked tonight to run it again for the new group, so I'll be gladly doing that again. :D I plan on doing a proper session by session post on here when I do.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

I'm also thinking about crafting my own return of Tazex one of these days. :twisted:
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

I can't honestly list a top 10, or 5, for the DCC's since I have only used/run around 15 of them and played in couple more. Since I now own all of them, thanks to the PDF sale, I would be misleading to do a top 10 list since it would imply I compared them to all the others.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
outlander78
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by outlander78 »

Treebore wrote:I can't honestly list a top 10, or 5, for the DCC's since I have only used/run around 15 of them and played in couple more. Since I now own all of them, thanks to the PDF sale, I would be misleading to do a top 10 list since it would imply I compared them to all the others.
I'm jealous - I should have bought the lot, but I didn't know that was it for the line.

What is your favourite from the line that you have read?
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

My favorites of what I have played:

Mysterious Tower
Devil Lich
DCC 12 and 12.5
Shadows in Freeport
Sellswords of Punjar
Whiterock, I have only read, but multiple campaigns could be run with this one when with simple extrapolations off of the scenarios already written.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
NinjaDancer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by NinjaDancer »

I must also cast a vote for Transmuter's Last Touch. Also Halls of the Minotaur, which I played in at Gencon a couple years back. The minotaur was quite memorably set on fire, as I recall. It was fun being first level NPC class characters.

I also have copies of The Adventure Begins and The Adventure Continues, but I haven't played many of the adventures out of those books as my party's gotten too high level.
Jessica Van Oort
Author of "The Snare of the Shadow Sylphs" in DCC #48 The Adventure Continues
Co-author of Hero's Handbook: Eladrin
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

My top 11 (sorry went over)... The first six are what I had planned as a Goodman AP, I was going to scale Legacy of the Savage Kings to levels 3-5 though.

#28 Into the Wilds
#17 Legacy of the Savage Kings
#7 The Secret of Smuggler's Cove
#40 The Devil in the Mists
#12 The Blackguards Revenge
#12.5 The Iron Crypts of the Heretics

#44 Dreaming Caverns of the Duergar
#26 The Scaly God
#13 Crypt of the Devil Lich
#16 Curse of the Emerald Cobra
#45 Malice of the Medusa

My all time and overall favorite Goodman DCC is...
#51 Castle Whiterock , I would definately run this with 51.5 The Sinister Secret of Whiterock too (I love good expansions).
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I'm at work right now and don't have my collection (#0-#53 with out #3.5) to look at.

Therefore, I'll list my number one pick:

DCC #17 Legacy of the Savage Kings. This one clearly sits along side several of the Gygax modules from TSR like the Giant series or the S-series.

Keep on trucking Harley!
Sir Clarence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Clarence »

My favorites (in no particular order) are:

Curse of the Witch Queen
The Mysterious Tower
Castle Whiterock
Dungeon Interludes
Saga of the Rat King
The Dragonfiend Pact
Vault of the Dragon Kings
Aerie of the Crow God
Into the Wilds
Gazetteer of the Known Realms
Check out my new website!
http://www.andreasclaren.de/index.htm
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

My top five would be the ones converted to C&C. 8)
The # 6-10 would then be:
6)Castle Whiterock
7)Gazeteer of the Known Realms
8 )Sunken Ziggurat
9)The Adventure Begins
10)Cage of Delirium
Roll for initiative!!!
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Of the ones that I have played or DMed.
10.DCC#4 Bloody Jack's Gold. Who doesn't love finding pirate treasure? This hoard is so large that the players can do what ever they want afterwards. Bye a flying ship so you can launch an attack on the cloud giants floating castle, no problem.
9.DCC#34 Cage of Delirium. Having an adventure with a ready made soundtrack is always fun. I love Midnight Syndicate.
8.DCC#38 Escape from the Forest of Lanterns. Just pure goofy fun! If your in the mood for something different this is it.
7.DCC#41 The Lost Arrows of Aristemis. This one felt very old school to me. It really took me back to the days of playing in the basement with some friends on a Friday night sleepover.
6.DCC#30 Vault of the Dragon Kings. Wow, this adventure is a hard one to live through! A true challenge for any player who thinks they are the best of the best.
5.DCC#50 Vault of the Iron Overlord. That wheel is just so much fun. Monte Cook is a genius.
4.DCC#35A Halls of the Minotaur. I always enjoyed starting out at 0 level and fighting my way to becoming an adventurer.
3.DCC#51.5 The Sinister Secret of Whiterock. I had so much fun taking my kids through this $2 module. The end was very intense for us. Every roll seemed like life or death.
2.DCC#51 Castle Whiterock. It is the best boxed adventure I own. It has everything.
1.DCC#0 Legends are Made, not Born. This was the first adventure I ever DMed my kids through. It will always be my #1
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Jezza
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Jezza »

DCC 49 Palace in the Wastes, DCC 30 Vault of the Dragon Kings,
DCC 19 The Volcano Caves
Haven't actually run these yet, but they all look like a blast.

DCC 14 Dungeon Interludes
My Sunday night group is on the second part of this now, having messed up the first part (see my separate post on this topic).

DCC 42 Secret of the Stonearm
Unfortunately this one ended in a TPK about halfway through the first level. Still the urban part at the beginning was very cool. "Good morning, I've got a stone delivery for a Mr Scourge?"

DCC 26 The Scaly God.
Played this with an evil party, unfortunately they ended up getting TPKed by the first lot of troglodytes (actually my fault, for getting 'sickened' and nauseated' mixed up. Ah well, the group was close to imploding anyway).

DCC 44 Dreaming Caverns of the Duergar
The elf scout got drained down to 2 Intelligence by the yellow musk creeper, the others were leading her around on a leash.

DCC 29 Into the Wilds
Great fun with this, it was very exciting when the players were being stalked by Azubal. They would defeat him but couldn't find his coffin and he would just show up again, terrifying them.

DCC 31 The Transmuter's Last Touch
The perfect 1st level module. My group went back to town and got bought some chickens so they could use them to test out what the magic squares did.

DCC 51 Castle Whiterock
Running one of my groups through this at the moment. Currently doing the Far Garden after approx 8 months of play. Unfortunately one of the players has had to drop out due to RL issues - he played Lord Edward McGinty-Armstrong, the somewhat insane Half-Orc Sorceror who believes that Castle Whiterock is his ancestral home and is intent on collecting 'rent' from the monstrous inhabitants.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

...the somewhat insane Half-Orc Sorceror who believes that Castle Whiterock is his ancestral home and is intent on collecting 'rent' from the monstrous inhabitants.
That's pretty awesome! Nice hook.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Jezza
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Jezza »

Yeah, I'm going to miss that character. You know the tapestry depicting the White Roc in the Cloud Giants' tower? He took it, cut a hole in it and wore it as a poncho.

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”