What are you thinking of doing with ERP?

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

Zemora
Ill-Fated Peasant

What are you thinking of doing with ERP?

Post by Zemora »

What's everone planning on doing with ERP once it's available?

I've spent the last few years playing "heavily-themed" games like Legend of the Five Rings and Harn/Harnmaster, so I'm looking for something more open. I had pretty much decided on using the Dawnforge setting from Fantasy Flight Games. It's heroic and fantastic. However, I don't like d20, so I was looking for another system. It appears that ERP will work really well for it!
Banesfinger
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: What are you thinking of doing with ERP?

Post by Banesfinger »

Zemora wrote:I had pretty much decided on using the Dawnforge setting from Fantasy Flight Games. It's heroic and fantastic. However, I don't like d20, so I was looking for another system. It appears that ERP will work really well for it!
Wow...I had ALSO been considering the Dawnforge setting. It never felt right with D&D 3.5e. But recently, 4e almost seems to be a better fit (racial feats, tiefling PCs, etc).
However, D&D never fit in with the 'feeling' of the setting (IMHO). I imagined more on an ancient Greek period (Achilles, etc) which is difficult to do with the high-fantasy d20 rules.

However, I would like to look at ERP's Ainereve setting (as I do love the ancient Britan/Celt settings as well).
Eisenmann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Eisenmann »

I don't know to be honest. I'm one of those guys who like to run a game according to the vibe of the rules. So I"ll see!
Dustin R
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dustin R »

I'm considering converting my post-apoc game over. It already has a fantasy vibe and I think the way I'm handling Psighted (beings with psychic potential) could be handled with the magic system. High-tech is extremely rare so I may even handle guns as magic items!
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I've got a couple different home-brewed settings I think would work very well with ERP. Once I have the rules in my hands, I might ponder attempting a DragonMech conversion even though I suspect that one would take a lot of work.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

Eisenmann wrote:I don't know to be honest. I'm one of those guys who like to run a game according to the vibe of the rules. So I"ll see!
I would have to agree with this one...Def going to start off in a generic fantasy world and then see how the system works out...
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
WyzardWhately
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by WyzardWhately »

Well, if I end up running it...

I want to take it old-school. I mean, REH old-school, with the dial turned up to eleven. It'll be all grim barbarian warlords, Atlantean power crystals, degenerate snake-people, and unnatural creatures from beyond the gulf of space. Oh, yeah, that's right, demons come from space. A very heavy all-around S&S vibe, with a helping of...well, not actual science-fantasy, but the sort of implied science fantasy of some of the older pulp stories. You know, the occasional bout of mesmerism and weird rays.

That's my initial thought, having not seen the rules yet.
elrics
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by elrics »

Zemora wrote:What's everone planning on doing with ERP once it's available?
As I was reading through the rules this weekend, I was struck by the thought that ERP is PERFECT for the Wilderlands of High Fantasy/Adventure. I'm pretty psyched about this, because WoHF has always been my favorite high fantasy campaign setting, but I was never comfortable with the rules it was married to: D&D 3.5 (Necromancer Games' revision) was too crunchy, C&C (Adventure Games' Wilderlands of High Adventure) was too rules-light, and OD&D/AD&D (original Judges' Guild)...well, I just never really liked OD&D/AD&D. ERP hits the sweet spot for me when I envision the Wilderlands, though...just crunchy enough, sensical and streamlined, but chock-full of Old School quirkiness and charm. Statting out the Wilderlands' numerous sub-races, monsters, specialized spell-casters, bizarre monsters, and unique magic items looks like a breeze with the "build your own" construction rules in the ERP Core Book.

Awesomeness abounding! :D
The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit.
--Milton Friedman
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

elrics wrote:
Zemora wrote:What's everone planning on doing with ERP once it's available?
As I was reading through the rules this weekend, I was struck by the thought that ERP is PERFECT for the Wilderlands of High Fantasy/Adventure. I'm pretty psyched about this, because WoHF has always been my favorite high fantasy campaign setting, but I was never comfortable with the rules it was married to: D&D 3.5 (Necromancer Games' revision) was too crunchy, C&C (Adventure Games' Wilderlands of High Adventure) was too rules-light, and OD&D/AD&D (original Judges' Guild)...well, I just never really liked OD&D/AD&D. ERP hits the sweet spot for me when I envision the Wilderlands, though...just crunchy enough, sensical and streamlined, but chock-full of Old School quirkiness and charm. Statting out the Wilderlands' numerous sub-races, monsters, specialized spell-casters, bizarre monsters, and unique magic items looks like a breeze with the "build your own" construction rules in the ERP Core Book.

Awesomeness abounding! :D
Cool! I'll assist in any way I can with rules questions, if you have any questions. Write me here or at nathal @ gmail.com if you wish.
orcbreath
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by orcbreath »

Vive la revolution! We have been trying to find a rules set to use and here it is. We don't play D&D 3.5, and throw up our hands at the coming 4th ed. Paizo's Pathfinder does not look to be a superior solution. The talk was to go back to AD&D 1st ed. because nobody hated it. Eldritch is elegant, promises battles that don't take all of our play time, and enormous flexibility. I like the idea of being here on the ground floor of a new system, that I can help develop. My own fantasy campaign world is not ready to start in, so I will need a setting to use for a while. I like a feudal style world of the type that Chivalry and Sorcery demands--where to find that?
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

I was thinking of converting my old Dragon Warriors books to it like the feel of the setting in those books and think these rules would fit it well.

also there were a lot of adventures in the 6 books to run too.

Jamat

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”