Monster Creation???

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

Dustin R
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Monster Creation???

Post by Dustin R »

Hey Dancross,

So how will monster creation work? Will creatures possess levels? If so, is this how monsters are balanced vs. pcs? Will there be example monsters? Will gms have a "shopping list" of abilities to choose from when generating baddies? Are there minion/mook/popcorn rules in place?

Again thanks in advance,

Dustin
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Monster Creation???

Post by dancross »

Dustin R wrote:Hey Dancross,

So how will monster creation work? Will creatures possess levels? If so, is this how monsters are balanced vs. pcs? Will there be example monsters? Will gms have a "shopping list" of abilities to choose from when generating baddies? Are there minion/mook/popcorn rules in place?

Again thanks in advance,

Dustin
Hi there!

I'll probably want to post something in more detail on this subject. I think my third designer's blog will be on adventure design with ERP, but I'll give you a brief overview here.

There are four grades of NPC or monster: "fodder", standard, extraordinary, and Full-Fledged. Fodder is I believe what you refer to when speaking of mooks. Fodder creatures represent the typical weakling foe, whether it be a weakling kobold or a dim-witted gate guard. Your typical adventurer will be more than a match for this type. Standard creatures possess greater Potential-Harm, and better defenses on the whole. Well trained town soldiers, or a big, mean, forest bear might fall into this category. Extraordinary creatures are harder to kill, pose a true threat to a single hero in some cases, and tend toward the more unusual monsters in the world. Full-Fledged NPCs are built just like PCs, and are usually important, much tougher to defeat in battle, and probably surround themselves with minions.

Balancing encounters in terms of difficulty is not based on levels, but on total Potential-Harm. Since defensive hitpoint pools are generally based on offensive potential, getting an idea of a fair fight is not too tough. I can explain that in greater depth...but not just yet.

The core rules include options for the creation of all sorts of creatures, from the mundane to the supernatural, including the undead, dragons, or whatever. I do have a comprehensive system for balancing encounters, but it acts as a guide that probably won't even be needed once you get the hang of the system. ;-)
Dustin R
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dustin R »

Sounds great! A can't wait to get this game.

Dustin
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

NPC stat bloc

Post by dancross »

I thought the forum readers would like to see the format for a typical full-fledged NPC. Here is an example that may spark some conversation:

Lt. Satordi Gacem
TY/CS: (Type/Challenge Score): Full-Fledged / 44
Race: Human

Distinguishing abilities:

Agility D6
Coercion D8 (R)> Interrogation D8 >
Endurance D10
Investigation D6 > Court & politics D6 > Dis bureaucracy D4
Knowledge D4 > Military D8 > Military Organization D6
Reflexes D8
Resistance D4
Scrutiny D10 > Sense Motive D4
Speed D6
Willpower D8

Racial Features: At least Respectable Willpower and Endurance.

Threat Ranks

Unarmed D12 > Brawling D10 (+10 to toughness)
Unarmed D12 > Pugilism D8 (+8 to evade)
Unarmed D12 > Grappling D6 > Hold Foe D4
Melee D10 > Axes D6
Melee D10 > Swords D8
Melee D10 > Shield D6
Ranged D8 > Crossbow D10
Arcanum D4 (knowledge only)

Defense Pools

Weaponry: 30
Evade: 22
Dodge: 12
Deflect: 16 or 26 with magic shield.

Toughness: 24
Resilience: 20

BP: Battle Phase 3 (Good Initiative) D8
Equipment: Chain Mail armor D8. Enchanted Medium Shield (permanent Fortify Effect +10 points), standard +1 to armor check.
Hand Axe: 1H, + 1 threat points, max-split 3, + 2 init.
Short Sword: 1H, +2 threat points, max-split 3, +2 init.
Loot Value: $6000 in coinage and jewelry.
Spells and spell points: Satordi Gacem knows no spells. He may use his meager 4 spellpoints to power magic items (and after that draw upon his own Resilience).
Banesfinger
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Banesfinger »

Lots of questions (and I’m sure many of them will be “wait for the rules to come out” type of answers):

What is the difference between (Unarmed) Brawling and Pugilism? Are they mechanically different? Likewise for grappling?

I see 4 defence pools (Weaponry, Evade, Dodge, and Deflect). I assume you can switch between them in combat. If so, that is a total of 90 points (30+22+12+26) of defence. That seems like a lot.
Assume he is battling a similar opponent with Melee D10 > Swords D8 (+2 threat for short sword) giving an average threat point of 16-17. That would be an average of 5-6 attacks before his defence pools are depleted and he must ‘dip’ into his Armour/Toughness, correct?

What is the difference between Dodge and Evade?
What is the difference between Deflect and Weaponry (I assume weaponry is used to parry)?

How does max-split work?

That’s it for now.
:D
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Banesfinger wrote: What is the difference between Deflect and Weaponry (I assume weaponry is used to parry)?
Ooh, I'm pretty sure I can answer that one. Weaponry is, as you said, using your weapons to parry. Deflect is the same thing, but for shield use instead of weapons.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Banesfinger wrote:Lots of questions (and I’m sure many of them will be “wait for the rules to come out” type of answers)
I'll do my best ;-)
What is the difference between (Unarmed) Brawling and Pugilism? Are they mechanically different? Likewise for grappling?
When making an unarmed attack, the basic Unarmed ability is used, plus whatever specialization and mastery possessed. If the attacker is a pugilist, the style and nature of his attacks will be different than a more reckless brawler. To that point, the difference is narrative. However, the MRV (maximum rank value) of the Pugilism Specialization adds to the Evade Die Pool, which represents the quickness and fancy footwork of a trained boxer. There's also martial arts...

Also, Grappling Specialization adds to Potential-Harm and also improves chances with wrestling maneuvers (there are grappling rules based on opposed rolls).
I see 4 defence pools (Weaponry, Evade, Dodge, and Deflect). I assume you can switch between them in combat. If so, that is a total of 90 points (30+22+12+26) of defence. That seems like a lot.
The defender can only choose one defense per strike against him. Also, the defense type must be suitable against the attack type. Parrying with a kitchen knife against a great axe won't work no matter how high the score in Weaponry. A single attack can penetrate the chosen defense, and still reduce the opponent's Toughness, no matter how many points he has combined. Some attacks, like most forms of magic, bypass active defenses and affect Resilience before Toughness, and often bypasses armor (although sometimes Dodging can be used against area-effect spells with a physical manifestation).
Assume he is battling a similar opponent with Melee D10 > Swords D8 (+2 threat for short sword) giving an average threat point of 16-17. That would be an average of 5-6 attacks before his defence pools are depleted and he must ‘dip’ into his Armour/Toughness, correct?
All it takes is a single attack to penetrate a defense pool. For example, if Weaponry doesn't do the job, the opponent does not get to "switch" to Evade and use that next. No, the excess points cut straight to Toughness, mitigated only by armor.
What is the difference between Dodge and Evade?
What is the difference between Deflect and Weaponry (I assume weaponry is used to parry)?
Evade is used mostly against close attacks, although can be used to evade mundane missile attacks. Dodge cannot be used to escape close attacks, and is in defense of ranged or area-effects only. From the core rules:

EVADE: This defense pool represents advanced close-combat
evasion, by means of sudden or repeated shifts
of place or position, as well as feints, or “rolling
with the punches,” as well as evading most ranged
attacks, all without significant movement. Such
defense represents swashbuckling or acrobatic
maneuvers, or as martial arts skill, whichever best
fits the character concept.
A character cannot use this DP to evade magical
attacks or area effect spells of any kind. Also, note
that wearing medium armors only allow half of
the Evade pool in a battle, and heavy armor would
disallow it entirely.

DODGE: This defense pool represents avoidance of harm
by means of sudden bursts of movement, and is
a measure of how well a character can anticipate
and move his body out of the path of danger.
Characters can dodge missile weapons, dangerous
area spells or explosions, or a charging foe (such as
a knight charging on horseback).
This maneuver cannot be used to reduce the
Potential-Harm of close-combat attacks (whether
melee or unarmed). Dodging while engaged in
close combat provokes an opportune attack, with
few exceptions (see below).

Weaponry Defense represents defensive actions
made with weapons to deflect a melee attack. This
includes actions such as parry, entanglement (as
with a length of chain or a whip), and keeping an
opponent at bay by means of a reach weapon (such
as with a polearm, bo-staff, or long spear). This
category is the abstract score of a character’s overall
knowledge of weapon-based defensive maneuvers.

The Deflect active defense pool uses the base Melee
skill MRV as its base, because any creature can pick
up an appropriate makeshift object and use it as a
shield. Having actual shield skill adds to this DP.
How does max-split work?
From the Quickstart Guide (in revision now):

A character normally combines the dice of a combat related ADC into a single attack (like 1D4 Melee + 1D4 Bludgeons = 2D4 attack), but may also split the dice to make separate strikes (1D4 attack & another 1D4 attack). Why would a player want to split attacks? Splitting attacks allows the targeting of multiple enemies within range, and allows the application of weapon-based harm bonus several times. The specific weapon type limits the number of times the wielder can split the dice pool (see “max split” equipment chapter).

While that may sound like a player would want to split all their attacks for the added bonuses, remember that the defender chooses a defense after the attacker rolls for each separate strike. Splitting attacks means that each attack will tend to result in lower threat points, so damage reducers like armor and shields can easily block the attacks. To restate, multiple attacks allowing one to apply a weapon’s harm bonus applies to each separate die, and the option of choosing different targets within the weapon’s range all counterbalances these disadvantages.

As mentioned, each weapon is listed with a statistic called “Max-Split”, which denotes the maximum number of times an ability branch (ADC) can be split into multiple attacks, each independent die roll representing a separate strike.

For example, Sir Hurtalot wields a Kris Knife, which has a “max-split” of 3. If Sir Hurtalot had an ability branch of Melee (D10) > Knife (D8) > Kris Knife (D4) could split his ADC into as many as 3 separate die rolls, and add the knife’s harm bonus of +1 to each attack.

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”