Castle Whiterock

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Damien the Bloodfeaster
Wild-Eyed Zealot

CW Kill Count

Post by Damien the Bloodfeaster »

I'll be happy to make use of the skully too!

Do you have another one for PCs taken prisoner (a "shackly")? In my first session I only out and out killed one PC, but was able to capture another five.
Author: Mother of All Encounter Tables; Bits of Magicka series
Coauthor: Rappan Athuk Reloaded

Castle Whiterock Kills: [img]http://public.bag_boy.fastmail.fm/dccskull.jpg[/img] x10
stripes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

maps online?

Post by stripes »

I'm trying to decide if I should hold out for the PDF. Are the maps online if I buy the print version?
Ghost2020
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Ghost2020 »

Turns out that Amazon does have it for a discount.
My regular online dealer was sold out (artsbargains.com) so I had to go get it someplace else.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Speaking of Castle Whiterock...

Anyone in or near Fair Lawn, NJ should stop by the Gamer's Gambit (http://www.gamersgambitonline.com) this Saturday...Chris Doyle, Jeff LaSala (travel plans permitting), and myself will be running demos, hanging out, eating pie, talking Whiterock, and drinking some White Rock soda with the good folks at the Gambit.

We'll also be giving out prizes (like our design notes from planning CW and copies of DCC #51.5: Sinister Secret of Whiterock) and offering candid answers to life's most profound questions.

Kidding about the answers. But we'll be there to run levels 1 and 6 of CW and talk gaming.

Come on by!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

Ghost2020 wrote:Turns out that Amazon does have it for a discount.
My regular online dealer was sold out (artsbargains.com) so I had to go get it someplace else.
Hmm.... not much of a discount. AMAZON.COM has it for 22% off where as AMAZON.CA has it for 37%

I wonder why that is?

M
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

moriarty777 wrote:
Hmm.... not much of a discount. AMAZON.COM has it for 22% off where as AMAZON.CA has it for 37%

I wonder why that is?

M
exchange rates
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

PeelSeel2 wrote:
moriarty777 wrote:

I wonder why that is?

M
exchange rates
But... but... that doesn't make sense! AMAZON.CA is reflecting the stronger Canadian exchange rate on the retail price anyway.

The US list price is $99.99 and the Canadian equivalent listed is at $94.27. The 37% discount is applied the Canadian price which means we're paying $59.39. Even with the cost of standard international shipping, someone from the States would pay about $10 less if they ordered from AMAZON.CA instead of AMAZON.COM

Makes no sense to me... but I'm grinning ear to ear!

;)

M
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

moriarty777 wrote:But... but... that doesn't make sense! AMAZON.CA is reflecting the stronger Canadian exchange rate on the retail price anyway.
Distributers can get different percentages as discounts in different areas. The exact answer would be a convoluted mess of shipping costs, warehouse "push", local initiative, and manufacturer incentives.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

what times will people be at the gamer's gambit?
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

what times will people be at the gamer's gambit?
Chris and I will be there when it opens, at noon on Saturday.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

moriarty777 wrote:
PeelSeel2 wrote:
moriarty777 wrote: Hmm.... not much of a discount. AMAZON.COM has it for 22% off where as AMAZON.CA has it for 37%

I wonder why that is?

M
exchange rates
But... but... that doesn't make sense! AMAZON.CA is reflecting the stronger Canadian exchange rate on the retail price anyway.

The US list price is $99.99 and the Canadian equivalent listed is at $94.27. The 37% discount is applied the Canadian price which means we're paying $59.39. Even with the cost of standard international shipping, someone from the States would pay about $10 less if they ordered from AMAZON.CA instead of AMAZON.COM

Makes no sense to me... but I'm grinning ear to ear!

;)

M
Looks like I am going to be ordering from Canada.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Maldroth
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Maldroth »

Hello first time poster and I've seen an heard about Castle Whiterock and I have a few questions.

I have World's Largest Dungeon and was disapointed with the inability to leave it, it suggested altering XP advancement, among that part way though my group got bored of it.

So can you freely leave the exploration to restock supplies? I've read there are numerous enterances so that makes that more probable.

I hope it's something I can sit down and read ahead and run without having to do a ton of work to make it work for a game.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Maldroth,

Welcome to the boards!

The answer is "absolutely." The dungeon was designed so that you can even skip levels. Do some dungeon crawling now, leave for a bit to explore the wilderness/rule a barony/whatever, then return to do some more crawling.

At the same time, those die-hards that insist on seeing EVERY single chamber, might have a leg up when it comes down to final encounters --- but the encounters will be deadly, no matter what. :twisted:

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Maldroth,

Yes, you can leave the dungeon in between adventures. It was actually designed that way, which is why we included the gaz. material on Morrain, and designed the entire city of Cillamar. Cillamar is the closest settlement so it has inns (one central to the plot of the adventure), equipment shops, temples, etc. There is even a travelling potion salesman for the PCs to offload useless potions and aquire ones needed. With the multiple entrances (if the PCs find them), shortcuts are avail so they don't need to trek through all the upper levels to get to the lower levels.

I too was disappointed with the WLD, which influenced the way CW was designed.

Chris Doyle
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

I thought Castle Whiterock was the largest. :shock:

Oh, it's only 100 pages more. 700, 800? Who can tell? :?
Maldroth
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Maldroth »

well good I just want a product that I don't have to modify the base rules of my game to run, nor modify the adventure to fit the game. WLD failed on that in many ways.

Excellent sounds like I need to pick this up, I just need to decide on print or PDF.

Will be interesting to see how adaptable 3.5 adventures will be for 4e stuff.

Consider me sold, just need to figure out what kind to get.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Maldroth wrote:Excellent sounds like I need to pick this up, I just need to decide on print or PDF.
While I normally encourage PDFs (because you can print them & scribble notes or re-name NPCs as you like, and because they're cheaper), I have to say holding the CWR box in your hand is an amazing feeling.

I mean, it's bigger & heavier than WLD and Appan Rathuk Reloaded (I have both).

Also, the maps are really impressive when you unfold them.
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

In looking at Castle Whiterock it appears the Orcs on level 3 only have 1 way to reach the surface, through the throne room of the orcs on level 2. If some orcs on level 3 are supposed to be secretly trading with some Orcs on level 2 (for water) and the slavers (for slaves against someones wishes), how can they do this through the throne room without the leader on level 2 knowing? Also why would the leader have this 'road' in his throne room? Am I missing another egress for the Orcs on level 3 to reach the outside world?

If not, I am going to make the shaft under the tower on ground level active and extend it to level 3 (It fits nicely extended down), make the throne room a guard room, and put another room in for the leaders room.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Got it

Post by joela »

Hobby store was having a sale so I justified purchasing CR from all the savings I made from the other stuff :lol:
What do you mean no?
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Got it

Post by CharlieRock »

joela wrote:Hobby store was having a sale so I justified purchasing CR from all the savings I made from the other stuff :lol:
The owner of my local gameshop threw in a free copy of GameMastery U1 Gallery of Evil. :D
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

free

Post by joela »

CharlieRock wrote:
joela wrote:Hobby store was having a sale so I justified purchasing CR from all the savings I made from the other stuff :lol:
The owner of my local gameshop threw in a free copy of GameMastery U1 Gallery of Evil. :D
Sweet! 8)
What do you mean no?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

For those of you who don't own it but would like to actually see Castle Whiterock -- or who appreciate Spanish commentary -- check this out:

http://lamarcadeleste.blogspot.com/2007 ... erock.html
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Pete Whalley
Gongfarmer

Post by Pete Whalley »

Hmm, where to begin? Perhaps best with a hello to all hereabouts?

I'm new to the boards, having just picked up my first ever DCC product. This past Saturday my players and I visited the FLGS in search of new toys- and they chipped in to buy a copy of Castle Whiterock as a christmas present for their lucky old DM! (That'd be me :)) So, as I read through the book(s) I thought I'd come over here and join in the fun.

Also, a hearty kudos to all involved for a campaign set that's got me more excited than any in recent memory. I'm really going to enjoy running this one.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Welcome, Mr. Whalley!

Thanks for picking up Castle Whiterock. Talk about jumping in with both feet. Let us know if we can be of any assistance, or if you run into any trouble with the adventures.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

There is a big ol' downloadable file in the CW page that is pretty nifty. (I missed it until just now).

Return to “Castle Whiterock”