Goblinoid alignment

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: king

Goblinoid alignment

Post by Tubalo »

In the rulebook as described Goblins are lawful, is that correct?
Your society may be structured and organized which is a feature of lawful, but I don't see goblins fighting alongside humans, heavenly gods, Angels, and paladins against demonic gods of chaos.
Thanks.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Goblinoid alignment

Post by GnomeBoy »

Mind you, the Lawful entry in the early part of the Rulebook is about Lawful characters, and written from that perspective... It may not contain all that can be said about such an Alignment.

I'd say they're Lawful, owing to their military organization, which suggests planning and effective coordination with others (especially against the Elves).

Alignments aren't, erm... Teams. :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

I think of "lawful" vs "chaotic" as cosmic alignment stuff, kind of like being a libra vs gemini or whatever. But if it makes you feel any better, being lawful doesnt mean you are "good" , it just means you follow some structure. Two lawful human kingdoms can go to war and kill each-other and have hatred or grudges against each-other. So it could be even worse between goblins and humans.

The world in DCC isn't "nice", you're not "heroes" , you're trying to survive and get yours while you can, and there might be brief areas of calm.
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: king

Post by Tubalo »

Got it, thanks for answering
I will ask a slightly different question: does a cleric of a chaotic god have a goblin as a heretical creature?

and a lawful goblin worship which god?
thanks
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

1)
Perhaps. Depends on what the god finds as heretical. Maybe goblins are beyond their notice, so they aren't. Maybe goblins are an affront, so they are.

2)
Probably a goblinoid god or something fearsome and horrific or maybe an earth deity or maybe there's a big monster near to their tribal lands and they worship it as a god. What's in the book is not the be-all and end-all.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Tubalo wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:33 pm Got it, thanks for answering
I will ask a slightly different question: does a cleric of a chaotic god have a goblin as a heretical creature?
By RAW, that cleric could attempt to Turn the Unholy on that goblin....or the average dwarf or halfling!

Likewise, a Lawful cleric can Turn the Unholy on the average elf.
and a lawful goblin worship which god?
thanks
I am not certain that everything needs to worship gods, or that gods pay attention to everything that might want to worship them. Goblins might worship all kinds of demons or devils, or other patron-level entities. The Annual has interesting rules you can use for monster patrons if you want to go this route.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC RPG General”