DCC RPG 4th printing: What do you want?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

DCC RPG 4th printing: What do you want?

Post by mythfish »

You may have heard that the third printing of the DCC RPG rulebook is now sold out. That means it's time for us to start working on the fourth printing! The third printing had the slipcover edition as well as the regular edition, and we at Goodman Games want to do a special edition fourth printing as well. So we ask: What do YOU want in the 4th printing? Here are some of our ideas: thumb tabs like on a dictionary; spiral-bound stay-flat binding hidden inside the hardback binding; sewn-in ribbon bookmarks; gilded edges; perhaps an alternate cover. Which ideas do you like best? What else should we include?

*Please note that this is a new printing, not a new edition. Other than the possibility of correcting a few typos and minor errata, the rules, text, and interior artwork will remain the same.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: DCC RPG 4th printing: What do you want?

Post by finarvyn »

PRobably too much effort, but I'd love to see the core rulebook reissued as a couple of smaller books. Put player stuff in one book, GM stuff in another. Or, put spells in one volume and everything else in another. Something like that.

I don't even mind having the same base cover on both books. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
fritsk
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Speldorado

Post by fritsk »

I assume you don't want to change the layout and just correct some typos, right?
I just got the 2nd printing with the Jeff Easley cover and Stefan Poag art folio, and that's the kind of bling I really like.

If you want to go over the top with the special edition I'd suggest a combo of:
  • - sewn-in ribbon bookmarks
    - a slipcase with special cover #1 containing:
    • - hardcover book with special cover #2
      - hardcover art folio with special cover #3
and optionally 8):
    • - a second 400 page hardcover book with cover #4 and more spells, monsters and magic items
      - a hardcover DCC version of Castle Whiterock
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

How about a different 0 level adventure? I like portal but something new might make this printing more desirable to collectors.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

I vote for "thumb tabs like on a dictionary; spiral-bound stay-flat binding hidden inside the hardback binding." Both of those seem extremely helpful at the table.
Terry Olson
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

How about adding several 0 level adventures; IMHO there is no such thing as too many funnel adventures. Maybe the community could write them for you?
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

So, just last week I swore off of buying any more alternate covers. I have the 3rd printing, the Easley, and the Wizard. I would like to acquire the gold foil, but can't pay the after market price.

That being said, I am a sucker for the new covers...and a completest collector. For me, I could be enticed to buy yet another copy of the core book if it had an alternate cover from one of my favorite artists (Halloway, Caldwell, Elmore, Otis might do it). But I would be even more likely to buy it if it included a new adventure inside (Like Doom of the Savage Kings was with the gold foil), or an insert with campaign material, new patrons, or fleshing out the patron spells of the patrons in the body of the book that were never "finished". Other features that would entice me would be a sewn in cloth bookmark, or the lay flat spiral binding like Epsilon City will have.

Whatever is done, I would like it to stay at the $39.99 price point. I know alternate covers cost more typically, but I think to keep getting new players to the game, we need to keep the main core book at that price.
fritsk
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Speldorado

Post by fritsk »

Another idea: instead of doing a standard slipcase why not something with a magnetic lid like:
http://bookdesigners.com/blog/the-heirloom-collection
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/W ... 35905.html
Dextolen
Gongfarmer

Post by Dextolen »

Slipcover edition with separate books inside:
Players Section
GM Section
Wizard Spells
Cleric Spells
Boingo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Boingo »

I vote for the dictionary tabs and several of the ribbon book marks so you can mark the pages most referenced like the spells of the wizard and crit tables and so on.
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

My suggestion would be more for the PDF that get's generated with the release. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the page numbers on the PDF don't match the actual page numbers (therefore, if the text says, "See page 200", you actually have to go to PDF page 204). This would be an easy change by setting the covers of the PDF in a different page number section. You can check out my PDF for Stronghold of the Wood Giant Shaman on how this appears in the PDF.

Beyond that... I like new cover art. :)
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I personally LOVE the Might Tome that it is.

An alternate cover would be my preference:

A Peter Mullen cover would probably be a hit.
A SILVER FOIL edition would be nice, doesn't have to be "leather".
A Larry Elmore would be a nice complement to the Easley cover.
An Erol Otus would be an amazing contrast to the Easley cover.

An OVERSIZED edition would be crazy. A mini edition would be fun.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
asia pickle
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Excelsior - Hoover, AL

Post by asia pickle »

I would earnestly pay for 2 versions:
  • A really tough & durable, travel & table tested, ready for battle edition with a robust but plain cover (leather?), with spiral lay flat binding.
    and/or
    The gilded pages, new cover art, sewn in bookmarks, thumb tabs, etc... as previously mentioned.
In either case, a new 0-level funnel and a new level 1 adventure, 1-2 punch would be awesome.
Caffiend
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Caffiend »

Dextolen wrote:Slipcover edition with separate books inside:
Players Section
GM Section
Wizard Spells
Cleric Spells
I feel the need to dissent: Some of the spells overlap. And spell duels can apply to clerics as well. And there is a lot of magic info in later chapters. It's not that easy to delineate -- and I LOATHE the idea of having to flip from book to book.

And, honestly, one of the things that puts DCC RPG in its own category at the FLGSs is that there is only one book.

I like the ideas of flat binding, new cover art, and special included modules (such as #66.5). Slipcovers/cases are cool but they run the sticker price up by $20. It's easier to pitch a single book at $40 to players - and most players (vs. judges) don't tend to collect modules to store in the slipcovers...
~Judge Jen
Spellburner, Keeper of Mysteries, and Chief Acolyte* for DCC RPG

*the Dark Master said so!
sugarwookie
Gongfarmer

Post by sugarwookie »

It would be awesome to have a second foil cover (since so many folks try and find the gold foil)

Why not let the community vote on a poll?
The Disgruntled Poet
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Tower Games

Post by The Disgruntled Poet »

So many ideas above, plenty of them below and a great many have yet to be thought of... here's a few:

1) A special cover honoring the Minneapolis DCC RPG Society! With a giant looming Arneson in the background against a Mpls skyline.., no one will ever doubt again the impact of Minneapolis's special RPG genius on the hobby. OK, no? Are you sure? No? OK

2) Erol Otis... period

3) Doug has to draw every character ever named in a DCC RPG adventure, including all band members, ALL FIGHTING and on one gi-normous wraparound cover. Maybe with a foldout!

4) A special collector's whitebox edition with several booklets in true 1974 style.

5) Failing all of this, a super-durable traveling thumb-tabbed tome or set of durable booklets (each with separate kickass covers!) would make me plop down some money.
The Skinny DM
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by The Skinny DM »

Two words: BOX SET.
Eponymous
Gongfarmer
FLGS: KayJays

Post by Eponymous »

I really want to see a Novel/Trade paperback version of the game like the old Dragon Warriors, Fighting fantasy, Lone Wolf, Malestorme, Darksword rule-books. I loved having these books as a kid and still love them now. There is something enchanting about opening up these books and seeing the presentation in that format. I'd also love move on the implied setting in an appendix because ...why not!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

A box set would be better for Kickstarter. While some people love them and are willing to pay a lot for them, it's a bit risky because of the extra cost.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Desert Yeti
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Tucson Games & Gadgets

Post by Desert Yeti »

A stay-flat binding would be fantastic. Dictionary-style tabs (or other die-cut shapes leaving discernible edges by section) would also be super-cool.

Collectability of these things is a super-fun aspect, especially given DCC's "old school" cred, but my vote for a new limited edition would be one that would increase utility of the book at the table!
Craig
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Craig »

Pesky wrote:I vote for "thumb tabs like on a dictionary; spiral-bound stay-flat binding hidden inside the hardback binding." Both of those seem extremely helpful at the table.
This! And a spiffy new cover from Doug Kovacs.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

How about a slipcase or boxed set with the DCC annual? :P
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Stinky1EyedOgre
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stinky1EyedOgre »

Tabs!? Did someone say tabs? I'm down for that.
Attachments
Tabs?!
Tabs?!
DCC Tabs.jpg (145.8 KiB) Viewed 203921 times
Nos Plaga Qui Nos Opprimunt!
Sudo Dragon
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Sudo Dragon »

I would agree that a stay-flat binding would be great. Dictionary tabs and/or bookmarks would be cool also. If the stay-flat happens, can some of the often used tables (like on the judge's screen) be placed in the middle of the book? That way I could have the book open with that tables in front of me, or quickly turn the book around to lat the players see too.

Personal preference, an Erol Otis or Jeff Dee cover would be very cool.
Marzio Muscedere
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Location: A land of sorcery and nameless horror deep in Southern Canada

Post by Marzio Muscedere »

Limited edition gold foil DCC demon-skull logo cover!!! Why? Because I cant find one of these anywhere. I might actually find the holy grail before I find one of these.

Return to “DCC RPG General”