So, will the Chained Coffin be a little less high fantasy?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

So, will the Chained Coffin be a little less high fantasy?

Post by MrHemlocks »

After reading what little information there is about the new Chained Coffin adventure and other adventures in the campaign series I thought to ask: Will these new adventures, for the new campaign setting, be a little less high fantasy and more horror based? More on par to Call of Cthulhu mixed with pulp fiction/fantasy?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: So, will the Chained Coffin be a little less high fantas

Post by GnomeBoy »

The answers are in Michael Curtis' brain.

Sadly we fell short of the stretch goal of a small sample of his brain included in each boxed set... But at least we can rest easy in the knowledge that the set will include blood, sweat, and tears. Or so G+ has told me.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

I'm not sure how to answer that. Personally, I don't think me stuff skews towards "high fantasy" ordinarily. "Intrigue at the Courts of Chaos" and maybe "The Sea Queen Escapes!" is about as "high fantasy" as I'm prone to go, but they're hardly in the same arena as "Lord of the Rings" or the Dragonlance stuff (my personal idea of high fantasy).

However, it's also not "Call of Cthulhu"-type horror. I think I'm shooting for the same DCC RPG vibe that we've all embraced, but seen through a slightly different lens. You'll find devils to deal with, witches and conjure-men up to no good in the backwoods, devout souls keep the supernatural at bay with the proper rites and superstitions, and lost ruins of a time before time sitting forgotten in pine-filled hollows. If that's less high fantasy than normal, than the answer is yes. Personally, I think it's just another way of using the implied DCC RPG atmosphere.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

michaelcurtis wrote:I'm not sure how to answer that. Personally, I don't think me stuff skews towards "high fantasy" ordinarily. "Intrigue at the Courts of Chaos" and maybe "The Sea Queen Escapes!" is about as "high fantasy" as I'm prone to go, but they're hardly in the same arena as "Lord of the Rings" or the Dragonlance stuff (my personal idea of high fantasy).

However, it's also not "Call of Cthulhu"-type horror. I think I'm shooting for the same DCC RPG vibe that we've all embraced, but seen through a slightly different lens. You'll find devils to deal with, witches and conjure-men up to no good in the backwoods, devout souls keep the supernatural at bay with the proper rites and superstitions, and lost ruins of a time before time sitting forgotten in pine-filled hollows. If that's less high fantasy than normal, than the answer is yes. Personally, I think it's just another way of using the implied DCC RPG atmosphere.
Sounds great! I am so glad this campaign setting and series of adventures will not include your 'normal' creatures and of high fantasy 'stuff'. For behind every door does not need to be a creature ready to devour the party. Too many creatures, no matter how special they may seem, gets to be old stuff. So much so that the excitement, scary elements and fear of the unknown quickly loose meaning.

One thing I like about my Call of Cthulhu campaign is that monsters and magic are rare and when encountered are to be feared or guarded with amazement.
Wayfaring_Sword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Wayfaring_Sword »

Can't wait for this. I think it will be the fall campaign for my group. :)
The Wayfaring Sword

DCC Playtest 2011: Dicehead Games
The 13th Skull Playtest: Saved the duke's daughter
Notable DCC Character: Throdd the Slayer
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

guys i just downloaded from rpgnow chained coffin almanac and companion and bonus modules (one funnel and one creepy as hell 3rd lvl) and have to point out that it is basically platform for running twin peaks dcc style and that is awesome. some apple pie with that witch brew, agent cooper?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Would Solomon Kane feel at home in the Shudder Mountains and Chained Coffin adventure? I am kind of burnt out on high fantasy...need a change :)

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

he would, but he would have to develop some humor and maybe curb his wanderlust a bit.
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

After reading some of the PDF I would say the adventure is Sword and Sorcery but with an Appalachian folk tale vibe. It looks really cool and unique.
Wolfskin1982
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Wolfskin1982 »

If I recall they cribbed a lot of inspiration from Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John Series, all about a tough old sort of modern day minstrel who has seen things and has just enough gumption and faith to overcome supernatural obstacles. Unfortunately his books have been out of print for a while, but are still some what easy to get, usually about $15 or more. There is even an audio version over at Audible. I think they more or less take place in modern day, just struck through with a weird horror vibe and appalachian folk lore. I would say that the original stories have a definite low fantasy vibes, save that there are supernatural elements. How this will translate to the Chained Coffin I don't know. Was thinking of making it my go to setting and finding some rules for early fire arms and make it a DCC RPG version of early Colonial America. Anyone know a good book of appalachian folk lore?
fuel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fuel »

Go to your library and pick up any of the old Foxfire books. They are all about Applachian folklore. Some of it is true stories, recipes, and how to manuals. Some of it is ghost stories and legends. Pretty interesting stuff.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”