ToEE - the deserted farmstead SPOILERS

Discuss our deluxe versions of classic adventure modules and more, presented in their original edition/format, with updates for 5e or DCC RPG!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

e4mafia
Ill-Fated Peasant

ToEE - the deserted farmstead SPOILERS

Post by e4mafia »

So.....if the cultist thinks they're being overrun, he makes for the storeroom, and sets off the bombs, leaving a sizable crater in the ground, and absolutely certain death for every person within 300 feet of the cottage (effectively 30d6 damage - 15 force, 15 fire). As characters are expected to be somewhere from eve 2-4 at this point there's just no way they will survive.

I mean playing it straight, if the cultists see the inevitable, its really just down to luck if they make a break for it and survive getting past the PCs. And if they do, everyone's going to die. Just seems like a very clumsy TPK written into the adventure. Of course I can modify, play it differently, and do whatever's right for the table. I'm just wondering why the heck it's written this way in the first place.
Geekoid
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: ToEE - the deserted farmstead SPOILERS

Post by Geekoid »

Old School fun is full of stuff like that.
Players cna make new characters. Character death and TPK is part of D&D.
I hate it when I'm sent to jail in monopoly, but it's part of the game.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: ToEE - the deserted farmstead SPOILERS

Post by GnomeBoy »

What if when he throws open the doors, there's a chance for the characters to see the bombs the cultist intends to set off...?

Then there's action in trying to stop that attempt, or to run away, a mix of the two, and even other clever actions from the players...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Original Adventures Reincarnated”