OAR2 Isle of Dread revised

Discuss our deluxe versions of classic adventure modules and more, presented in their original edition/format, with updates for 5e or DCC RPG!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Vertek
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Wild Things

OAR2 Isle of Dread revised

Post by Vertek »

I was thinking about picking up a copy of OAR2 but then I read this review that detailed some content a bit problematic for 21st century sensibilities. Any chance Goodman might publish an revised edition that fixes some of this?

https://whatdoiknowjr.com/2018/12/27/wh ... -of-dread/
jadawin
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: OAR2 Isle of Dread revised

Post by jadawin »

Really? If it offends you fix it yourself.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

It's actually a really good adventure and island hex crawl. And the good thing about running games is you can change things. And its one thing to look at something yourself and think its problematic, its another to just let other people tell you what's problematic without engaging your own brain and thinking about something yourself.
Vertek
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Wild Things

Post by Vertek »

I imagine with a little work I could fix it myself. Or I could choose to spend my money on game products that are more inclusive. Hey, maybe Goodman only wants to sell the OAR line to middle aged white men, that that's fine I guess. I mean, I fit that demographic... but my players don't.
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

The line is intended to present the original content, with a faithful conversion to 5e rules. I only skimmed the latter (I don't play 5e), but I agree with points raised in that review.

From what I've heard from folks lately, efforts are underway to pivot towards sensitivity in future products. These niche archival releases are years in the making, and I doubt the economics of a revised edition are feasible for GG.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by BanjoJohn »

Vertek wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:11 pm I imagine with a little work I could fix it myself. Or I could choose to spend my money on game products that are more inclusive. Hey, maybe Goodman only wants to sell the OAR line to middle aged white men, that that's fine I guess. I mean, I fit that demographic... but my players don't.
I would say that I keep being surprised by the ignorance and bigotry of people like you, but it seems to be a feature of the mindset you share with everyone in your group rather than a flaw with any individuals. I don't think you genuinely are interested in any of these products to begin with so you are starting from a place of bad faith. And you seem to have an ignorant understanding of the history of the hobby, as well as the people who played, because I know I would love to include anyone who wants to play, being that it was a refuge from the rejection of all the "cool kids" back in the day. But I suppose its just become the cool thing to try and bully people who were already the targets of being bullied, just for different reasons now, I suppose nobody is ever going to be good enough for you.

I don't see anything that is objectively exclusive about the OAR products, anyone can participate and enjoy the game together. I don't see how they need to be modified to be inclusive either. Whatever. I hope you and your friends have fun, but you should stop being a bully.
AMLopez
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: DragonFly Games

Post by AMLopez »

BanjoJohn wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:52 am
I would say that I keep being surprised by the ignorance and bigotry of people like you, but it seems to be a feature of the mindset you share with everyone in your group rather than a flaw with any individuals. I don't think you genuinely are interested in any of these products to begin with so you are starting from a place of bad faith. And you seem to have an ignorant understanding of the history of the hobby, as well as the people who played, because I know I would love to include anyone who wants to play, being that it was a refuge from the rejection of all the "cool kids" back in the day. But I suppose its just become the cool thing to try and bully people who were already the targets of being bullied, just for different reasons now, I suppose nobody is ever going to be good enough for you.

I don't see anything that is objectively exclusive about the OAR products, anyone can participate and enjoy the game together. I don't see how they need to be modified to be inclusive either. Whatever. I hope you and your friends have fun, but you should stop being a bully.
Can I shake your hand?
“C'mon kid. Think a minute, even if it hurts.”
― Robert Lynn Asprin, Another Fine Myth
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

thogard wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:07 am The line is intended to present the original content, with a faithful conversion to 5e rules. I only skimmed the latter (I don't play 5e), but I agree with points raised in that review.

From what I've heard from folks lately, efforts are underway to pivot towards sensitivity in future products. These niche archival releases are years in the making, and I doubt the economics of a revised edition are feasible for GG.
Ah, this is good news.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

BanjoJohn wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:52 am
Vertek wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:11 pm I imagine with a little work I could fix it myself. Or I could choose to spend my money on game products that are more inclusive. Hey, maybe Goodman only wants to sell the OAR line to middle aged white men, that that's fine I guess. I mean, I fit that demographic... but my players don't.

Banjo, your comments are definitely in the form of a personal attack. Please don't do that here.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by BanjoJohn »

GnomeBoy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:42 pm Banjo, your comments are definitely in the form of a personal attack. Please don't do that here.
Well, as a survivor of public school bullying, and a survivor of Christian panic about D&D, and a bunch of other trauma, I sometimes do get flashbacks and get very defensive and feel the need to stand up against people I see as being a bully. I certainly did tone down my reaction before posting, but I can take additional time to cool off in the future. I certainly don't want to get into personal attacks against other people. But you do what you need to, and I'll try and be a better person.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

BanjoJohn wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:34 am Well, as a survivor of public school bullying, and a survivor of Christian panic about D&D, and a bunch of other trauma, I sometimes do get flashbacks and get very defensive and feel the need to stand up against people I see as being a bully. I certainly did tone down my reaction before posting, but I can take additional time to cool off in the future. I certainly don't want to get into personal attacks against other people. But you do what you need to, and I'll try and be a better person.
Thank you.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Original Adventures Reincarnated”