too political for GFA?

Here's where the GFA takes shape and clambers out of the lab and into the hands of the public... Watch the sausage get made and JOIN IN!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, ClaytonW, finarvyn, shylohwideman, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dansteeby
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Olympic Cards and Comics in Lacey, WA

too political for GFA?

Post by dansteeby »

We've survived Gary Con and now I turn my attention to an adventure I want to run for some buddys of mine at my home table, and am considering building it out to something that can go into the GFA this year, but it is political in nature and I figured I would ask to see if that would be less than appropriate before I moved forward with it with the GFA in mind.

The plot involves infiltrating a certain political leader's opulent golf course estate on a small island off the Florida coast to place a geo-location beacon within the facility. This beacon is to be used to cause a tidal wave that can either annoying flood the estate or wipe it from the face of the planet, depending on the settings. Clearly such an adventure might lend itself to players murder-hobo-ing policitical figures and maybe even parts of Florida. I'll write the adventure in as flexible a manner as possible, won't use proper names, and won't railroad players towards those murderous ends, but I do expect players to go there, players being players. I want to be clear that I'm writing the adventure for satirical purposes, to (literally) blow off a little steam at certain current political systems, and to promote my Bronx Beasts game rules for DCC.

Too far? Or appropriate for GFA?

And if so, anyone want to collabarate? I can provide the details and ideas I have so far and we can get crackin'. I'm shooting for 10 zine pages worth of adventure, which really isn't too much.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: too political for GFA?

Post by Jim Skach »

Regardless of political leanings, I would vote no.

I suspect, however, I will be overwhelmed in this.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

If you do it, my suggestion would be to make it less literal... I mean, I'm not sure how "Florida" fits into DCC/MCC... but some islands with these places on them, sure, why not? Make it all "loosely based on" so you can have your themes and structure, but it's not obvious it's political satire.

You get more mileage out that situation, but you lose some of the satire. I guess it's a question of which is more important about it? Making the satire, or making an adventure.

/2¢
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
ClaytonW
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Submit

Post by ClaytonW »

Administration Note: There is no rule(s) against this type of adventure going in the GFA.

Personal Note: I understand Bronx Beasts is set on a version of Earth, so Florida could apply. I would still recommend not being too specific. Keeping things generic as possible and descriptions loosely based would be good (Southern Coastal State, Expensive Resort, Owned by a businessman with supposedly big hands, etc...). I think most players will get it and if they don't it is just another adventure :). I think a lot of the satire and humor will come from what the players bring.
JudgeJoeKilmartin
Gongfarmer
FLGS: The Sword and Board

Post by JudgeJoeKilmartin »

ClaytonW wrote:Administration Note: There is no rule(s) against this type of adventure going in the GFA.

Personal Note: I understand Bronx Beasts is set on a version of Earth, so Florida could apply. I would still recommend not being too specific. Keeping things generic as possible and descriptions loosely based would be good (Southern Coastal State, Expensive Resort, Owned by a businessman with supposedly big hands, etc...). I think most players will get it and if they don't it is just another adventure :). I think a lot of the satire and humor will come from what the players bring.
I agree with Clayton’s way of handling this, Dan.

The progressive mayfly in me wants you to include that the businessman in question should be described as having YUGE hands.
tacojohn
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Hero Complex

Post by tacojohn »

Dan, please don't submit this sort of political position 'statement' for inclusion in the GFA.

While I respect your right, and everyone else's individual right, to hold whatever political opinions you want, I don't want current political leanings or satire imposed on this community or upon this zine. It will poison the project and divide the community, not unlike has happened in Real Life.

In other words, this isn't your platform.

Respectfully,

Jon 'tacojohn' Hershberger
dansteeby
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Olympic Cards and Comics in Lacey, WA

Post by dansteeby »

Thanks all for the input. In light that a few well-respected gongfarmers are asking that it not be included, I will not be submitting this adventure to GFA. I acknowledge that an adventure of a political nature could be offputting to some, and as such I'll publish this on my own if I get it developed to that point and feel that its worth sharing, that way all blame/praise will be upon me and not a group of myself and others. Thanks again for everyone's input on this, and I'm glad that I asked before I simply submitted.
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by herecomethejudge »

tacojohn wrote:Dan, please don't submit this sort of political position 'statement' for inclusion in the GFA.

While I respect your right, and everyone else's individual right, to hold whatever political opinions you want, I don't want current political leanings or satire imposed on this community or upon this zine. It will poison the project and divide the community, not unlike has happened in Real Life.

In other words, this isn't your platform.

Respectfully,

Jon 'tacojohn' Hershberger
I couldn't disagree more. Political leanings and satire aren't "imposed" on anyone; they're expressed. People then do with that what they will. And it's everyone's platform.

Go for it, dansteeby.
Yakov38M
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: none so far, RPGs aren't common where I live

Post by Yakov38M »

Well, it makes sense to ask first, many places ban the expression of political opinions altogether because it tends to create violent crapstorms, so too much prudence is better than not enough.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

dansteeby wrote:I acknowledge that an adventure of a political nature could be offputting to some, and as such I'll publish this on my own if I get it developed to that point and feel that its worth sharing, that way all blame/praise will be upon me and not a group of myself and others. Thanks again for everyone's input on this, and I'm glad that I asked before I simply submitted.
I think you’ve handled this very well Dan. Since the GFA is a shared project, there is a different... well, vibe about looking out for the needs of the project than with the content we create under our own labels. The fantastic thing about independent publishing is that everyone is free to create and share the projects that they are passionate about. Good luck with yours. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com

Return to “The Gongfarmer's Almanac”