Definitions of Tech Levels

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

harlandski
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Aydahar

Definitions of Tech Levels

Post by harlandski »

I've searched the web and these forums for this - apologies if I've missed something.

I don't understand what TL refers to in MCC, or how to decide what TL to give an artifact of my own creation. The artifacts in chapter 7 all seem to be TL 4 or 5, but in the 0th level funnel there are TL 2.

Is TL an objective measure of technological level (as in GURPS), or is it a metagame "how badly the referee wants to kill the PCs/stop them from having the item", or something else? In any case a table would really help.
maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Mind Games

Re: Definitions of Tech Levels

Post by maceo_the_escher »

Hi, Just learning MCC myself but I'll give replying a shot here.

I don't think Tech levels are objectively measured. They are "only used to generally categorize artifacts." So I think that's why you find weapons, armor, and medical equipment all at levels 4 and 5. If you look at examples of items below that you'll see they are of only limited use and simple. So a can of soda that raises your stats for one turn is a TL1 or a pack of gum that gives you back a few HP is a TL2. Disinfectant spray TL2. That kind of thing. So for homebrew I think that's all you really need to keep in mind. :D
harlandski
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Aydahar

Re: Definitions of Tech Levels

Post by harlandski »

Hey, thanks for taking the time to answer. It makes sense what you say, and you're probably right, though I'm still surprised the authors didn't provide more guidance in the book, or since. Just a simple table of the sort of thing / effect you can expect for each tech level would be really useful.

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”