The Great God

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar setting, home to the legendary Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, is the first officially licensed setting for the DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Nerdwerfer
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Game Goblin

The Great God

Post by Nerdwerfer »

Any idea who or what this God is? He can be encountered as one of the random Deities that can be found on the Street of the Gods mentioned in the Lankhmar City guide on page 22, but has no write up in the Patron/God section. Found mention of him in Lieber's Forest Claws from the Night and in the DCC module Mask's of Lankhmar. Seems as though he was a major player at one time, being able to drive off other gods from the city. Was Fritz playing around with the notion of some overbearing monotheistic religion, but then just dropped it? Or maybe The Great God's priesthood got their heads knocked in by the Gods of Lankhmar...
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: The Great God

Post by michaelcurtis »

Nerdwerfer wrote:Any idea who or what this God is? He can be encountered as one of the random Deities that can be found on the Street of the Gods mentioned in the Lankhmar City guide on page 22, but has no write up in the Patron/God section. Found mention of him in Lieber's Forest Claws from the Night and in the DCC module Mask's of Lankhmar. Seems as though he was a major player at one time, being able to drive off other gods from the city. Was Fritz playing around with the notion of some overbearing monotheistic religion, but then just dropped it? Or maybe The Great God's priesthood got their heads knocked in by the Gods of Lankhmar...
Any and all of those interpretations are possible. Fritz only knew what he put down on the page, so aside from the few references to the GG and the actions of its priesthood, it's all blank canvas to be worked with. And remember: It might have only been the "Great" God in the minds of its worshipers, so it doesn't necessarily have to be indications of some monotheistic movement, but if that works for what you and your players want to do with Nehwon, then go for it!
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Nerdwerfer
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Game Goblin

Post by Nerdwerfer »

Any and all of those interpretations are possible. Fritz only knew what he put down on the page, so aside from the few references to the GG and the actions of its priesthood, it's all blank canvas to be worked with. And remember: It might have only been the "Great" God in the minds of its worshipers, so it doesn't necessarily have to be indications of some monotheistic movement, but if that works for what you and your players want to do with Nehwon, then go for it!

Thanks for the reply. Wasn't sure what all you may have found while going through the archives down in Houston. I can definitely imagine a street brawl between the followers of the Great God and the new up-and-coming Awesome God.

And a big thank you for all your creations, Michael. Your work is always close at hand when I'm needing a leg up. From the Shudder Mountains to the Adventurer's Almanac and now Lankhmar, all have found a home in my imaginings. I hope you get a well deserved rest before having to answer the inevitable question of what you're working on next.
Frogs got teeth!!!
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoy what I do and I appreciate you taking the time to tell me!
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.

Return to “DCC Lankhmar”