Laser Pistol Damage

Here we can discuss James M. Ward's METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA game.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ryan Kent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Laser Pistol Damage

Post by Ryan Kent »

For the life of me, I can’t figure out when to used the 5,10 or 15 dice damage of a laser pistol. Can anyone help?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Laser Pistol Damage

Post by GnomeBoy »

There are three flavors of laser gun presented... Some do 5 dice, some do 10, and some do 15... ; )
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ryan Kent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ryan Kent »

GnomeBoy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:06 am There are three flavors of laser gun presented... Some do 5 dice, some do 10, and some do 15... ; )
There was some language about the laser pistol doing damage based upon the armor type worn by the target. It talks about ignoring hide, cloth, plant fiber and plastic and doing 15 dice to targets in that type of armor. It talked about doing only 5 dice for the first shot if the target is in "light" armor, presumably light metal. Then there is the laser rifle, which is mentioned as doing twice as much damage as the pistol. Just not clear to me.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hmmmm... I know there's lots of vagueness in MA (just how games were back then). I guess I parsed that wrong; hadn't seen/remembered the other bit you're quoting, but then I can't read a rulebook front to back and have it stick (gotta play it to really grok it).

Does anything under Armor make it clearer?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ryan Kent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ryan Kent »

Here is a quote from the rulebook (pg. 9) on laser pistols:

"The least it can do is cause third degree burns from a grazing shot, (5 dice damage). A direct hit will puncture and burn exposed flesh (15 dice of damage). All obstacles such as cloth, plastic, glass fiber, and plant fiber, will present no resistance to the action of the beam. Light body armor, on the first direct hit, will give the wearer third degree burns and 5 dice damage in that area; with the second direct hit in that same area resulting in melting of the armor and 15 dice damage. Heavy body armor will take 3 hits, with the fourth causing the third degree burns and the fifth causing the melting action."

Here is the revised armor table:

NO ARMOR AND NO SHIELD 8
HEAVY FUR, SKINS, LIGHT SHIELD BY ITSELF 7
SHIELD OF A NON-METAL SUBSTANCE, PARTIAL CARAPACE, OR
LIGHT SHIELD WITH HEAVY FURS OR SKINS 6
CURED HIDE, PLANT FIBER ARMOR, OR DURALLOY SHIELD BY
ITSELF 5
CURED HIDE, PLANT FIBER ARMOR & SHIELD, OR DURALLOY
SHIELD WITH HEAVY FURS OR SKINS 4
THIN METAL ARMOR, TOTAL CARAPACE, OR DURALLOY SHIELD
WITH CURED HIDE OR PLANT FIBER ARMOR 3
THIN METAL ARMOR & SHIELD 2
THIN METAL ARMOR & DURALLOY SHIELD 1

I guess any target in thin metal armor (and perhaps total carapace) takes 5 dice from the first shot and any target in anything less takes 15 dice.

Return to “Metamorphosis Alpha”