Creeping Beauties of the Woods

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Creeping Beauties of the Woods

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Well than we must make sure the Baron never dies for your daughter would be lost without you." Rafo smiles and continues. "So, it would be best to start our 'scouting' along the road that leads to Grimmswood. We will search the forest for signs of undead When all that is done our scouting will continue along the road and into Portsmouth. This sound correct Baron?"

Tarpy, pipes in with a hoot! "Say we find sings of undead than what? Where are we to meet you or your men to report our findings?"

Balin, thinking to himself. "I wonder if the Baron's daughter is not under some under love spell that his son was known to use."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:"Well than we must make sure the Baron never dies for your daughter would be lost without you." Rafo smiles and continues. "So, it would be best to start our 'scouting' along the road that leads to Grimmswood. We will search the forest for signs of undead When all that is done our scouting will continue along the road and into Portsmouth. This sound correct Baron?"
"That is all that I would ask, saving only to return here and report rather than continuing on to Portsmouth. Of course, no guard will prevent your going if that is your will. You have been used enough by my son, and I would not likewise use you unfairly."
Tarpy, pipes in with a hoot! "Say we find sings of undead than what? Where are we to meet you or your men to report our findings?"
"You will need to return to Westlake. Our forces are severely depleted due to Hubert's...experiment...upon the dead woman in Sefton Castle, but I shall find the men needed, somewhere, to combat these...things...if their lair can be ascertained. A chest of gold, and the hand of my daughter..." here he smiles upon the princess "...may yet raise the necessary valour among our people. For, I have decreed that to he who can bring me the heads of my late son's three brides."
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Rafo looks up at the large Baron. "It is getting late and I and my two friends are staving. Might we stay here for the night to have our bellies filled and limbs rested before leaving first thing tomorrow?"

Tarpy, nobs his head in agreement. "Also, we need some better armor. I am wearing armor that is just short of being rags and could use some well fitted leather armor before heading off.

"Same for me. Leather would suit me just fine." Rafo smiles broadly while jiggling his loose fitting armor about himself.

"As for me," Balin calls out, "I will be taking the brunt of the damage I need chain to better my chances of surviving. What say you Baron...deal?"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The Baron frowns. "I would not send you starveling into the wild. You shall eat and sleep in the Great Hall, with those of my retainers which remain. As for arms and armour, these things will be sorely needed by those who come after you. I have asked you nothing more than to scout, and for that speed will serve better than iron. Or would you offer to do more than this? I will not command it...but our need is great, and I will not refuse such an offer if it is made."
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Than eat and sleep we will." Rafo say as he moves towards the window. "I understand not having enough weapons and armor to share with us so I guess scouting is what we will do."

Tarpy joins in. "So, even if we make contact with the undead and any of the three princess we are to not engage in combat unless our life is in danger. That is perfectly clear to me now."

"Yes, and clear to me also!" Balin answers back. After stretching and clapping his hands together Balin begins to rub his belly. "Now let's clean up and eat. My dwarf belly is speaking something awful to me right now and I better make it happy.....soon!"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay. You are fed as well as any in the Baron's service, and may sleep in the Great Hall that evening if you so desire. There is at least a good fire to keep the early autumnal chill at bay.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

After washing up, eating a very hardy meal and getting a good nights rest the three adventures wake the next morning ready to head out. Taking the two horses, they recovered from the prince's guards, they go along the road toward Grimmswood. Rafo and little Tarpy on one horse with Balin, on the other.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Now is the time, if anyone else intends to play, to jump in. Right now. This offer will not come again soon.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Here are my four characters, using purple sorcerer.

[sblock=ooc]
0-level Occupation: Halfling vagrant
Strength: 7 (-1)
Agility: 10 (0)
Stamina: 10 (0)
Personality: 11 (0)
Intelligence: 9 (0)
Luck: 7 (-1)

AC: 10; HP: 1; Weapon: Club -1 (1d4-1)
Speed: 20; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: 0; Will: 0

Equipment: Holy water (1 vial) (25 gp)
Trade good: Begging bowl
Starting Funds: 25 cp
Lucky sign: Survived the plague (Magical healing)
Languages: Common, Halfling
Racial Traits: Halfling ability: Infravision

0-level Occupation: Elven navigator
Strength: 16 (+2)
Agility: 13 (+1)
Stamina: 16 (+2)
Personality: 15 (+1)
Intelligence: 15 (+1)
Luck: 12 (0)

AC: 11; HP: 3; Weapon: Shortbow +1 (1d6)
Speed: 30; Init: 1; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: 1

Equipment: Lantern (10 gp)
Trade good: Spyglass
Starting Funds: 43 cp
Lucky sign: Born under the loom (Skill checks, including thief)
Languages: Common, Elven, choose 1 more
Racial Traits: Elven traits: Heightened senses, iron vulnerability, Infravision

0-level Occupation: Hunter
Strength: 13 (+1)
Agility: 16 (+2)
Stamina: 8 (-1)
Personality: 6 (-1)
Intelligence: 14 (+1)
Luck: 9 (0)

AC: 12; HP: 1; Weapon: Shortbow +2 (1d6)
Speed: 30; Init: 2; Ref: 2; Fort: -1; Will: -1

Equipment: Waterskin (5 sp)
Trade good: Deer pelt
Starting Funds: 22 cp
Lucky sign: Hawkeye (Missile fire damage rolls)
Languages: Common, choose 1 more

0-level Occupation: Dwarven blacksmith
Strength: 16 (+2)
Agility: 10 (0)
Stamina: 10 (0)
Personality: 6 (-1)
Intelligence: 10 (0)

AC: 10; HP: 4; Weapon: Hammer (as club) +2 (1d4+2)
Speed: 20; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: 0; Will: -1

Equipment: Oil - 1 flask (2 sp)
Trade good: Mithril (1 oz.)
Starting Funds: 21 cp
Lucky sign: Birdsong (Number of languages)
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Racial Traits: Dwarven ability: Infravision
[/sblock]
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc I will wait to see how our characters meet up before continuing onward. My three adventures on horse back and headed toward Grimmswood. They just left the Baron's residence...
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

What are the naming rules of this setting? Should my dwarf have a name like "Frumpy" or "Bleary", rather than "Thorin"?

I had a look at that elf. Wow! When this adventure is done, the halfling vagrant I'm left with will have some sweet loot. I have no expectation that any of them will survive, but here's hoping!

I think the Dwarf would like to sell the Mithril for some armour and a weapon, and maybe some horses to catch up with the other characters.

My party is really tight-knit, having set aside racial differences for some to-be-determined shared quest: they all found an apple, maybe, and see it as an omen to find out more about these princesses. The apple hit the ground between the four of them and split into many pieces, perfectly sliced. When they pieced it back together, they found it was missing one sliver for each of the other party members: a clear sign that others would join their fabulous band.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

fireinthedust wrote:What are the naming rules of this setting? Should my dwarf have a name like "Frumpy" or "Bleary", rather than "Thorin"?

I had a look at that elf. Wow! When this adventure is done, the halfling vagrant I'm left with will have some sweet loot. I have no expectation that any of them will survive, but here's hoping!

I think the Dwarf would like to sell the Mithril for some armour and a weapon, and maybe some horses to catch up with the other characters.

My party is really tight-knit, having set aside racial differences for some to-be-determined shared quest: they all found an apple, maybe, and see it as an omen to find out more about these princesses. The apple hit the ground between the four of them and split into many pieces, perfectly sliced. When they pieced it back together, they found it was missing one sliver for each of the other party members: a clear sign that others would join their fabulous band.
Crosses fingers :)
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: I've read over the thread. Would my band be alright as others of the Baron's retainers? That way we could be roughly up to date on what's happening, and head out alongside the heroes already here.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Sounds good to me but up the Mr. Raven)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The blacksmith might be one of the Baron's retainers - the vagrant and navigator certainly are not! Toss up on the hunter, so why not?

Is there anything else you would like to do before setting off into the woods?

The Grimmswood is a large, dark, but verdant forest which lies close enough to the borders of Elfland that things from the Faerie Realm spill into the wood. Most folks avoid the Grimmswood for fear of dark fey magic and dangerous creatures; even hunters and woodsmen tend to stay near the borders. The trail northward, said to lead eventually to Portsmouth is visible under a canopy of leaves, many turning scarlet and yellow. This is the trail that leads to ancient Sefton Castle, where the Sleepy Beauty lay in her enchanted "sleep". None of you have a good idea of the depths of this forest.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

As of my post, Oct. 1st above, Rafo, Tarpy and Balin are riding off...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

As they approach the forest, they see a group of peasants, clearly working up their courage to go in.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: would that be us? I'm not sure what I need to do; unless it's okay that the Dwarf and the Human are bringing these two brave souls with them (the vagabond halfling and the elven navigator; the elf is good with maps, and quite-brave-looking, while the Halfling vagrant is a friend of the dwarf; Borok, feeling that his halfling friend Xim (who has fallen on hard times since his cousin was killed by monsters in a previous funnel they were in, but left before it was completed due to injury (with no treasure, no problem)) - Xim is his responsibility, so he'll keep him around. Perhaps the adventure will lift his spirits out of this funk? Elroth the elf is a brave adventurer-in-training, and needs to complete a quest to win the favour of his Patron-to-be. Graham the huntsman is loyal to the Baron, and feels this elf will be a great help (ancient and wise, plus he talks about magic, so he could be helpful).

If we're not the peasants before the forest, the band would have left immediately after the other heroes, and will arrive as soon as possible.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:OOC: would that be us? I'm not sure what I need to do; unless it's okay that the Dwarf and the Human are bringing these two brave souls with them (the vagabond halfling and the elven navigator; the elf is good with maps, and quite-brave-looking, while the Halfling vagrant is a friend of the dwarf; Borok, feeling that his halfling friend Xim (who has fallen on hard times since his cousin was killed by monsters in a previous funnel they were in, but left before it was completed due to injury (with no treasure, no problem)) - Xim is his responsibility, so he'll keep him around. Perhaps the adventure will lift his spirits out of this funk? Elroth the elf is a brave adventurer-in-training, and needs to complete a quest to win the favour of his Patron-to-be. Graham the huntsman is loyal to the Baron, and feels this elf will be a great help (ancient and wise, plus he talks about magic, so he could be helpful).

If we're not the peasants before the forest, the band would have left immediately after the other heroes, and will arrive as soon as possible.
Works for me, also one other player (rhh, I'm looking at you) has submitted characters. Meet up, and move out!
SoBH pbp:

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Here's my characters, freshly minted from purple sorcerer. Looks like these are at least some of the peasants milling about.

Code: Select all

*** Los the Lame ***
0-level Occupation: Guild beggar
Strength: 11 (0)
Agility: 8 (-1)
Stamina: 12 (0)
Personality: 8 (-1)
Intelligence: 15 (+1)

AC: 9; HP: 1; Weapon: Sling +0 (1d4)
Speed: 30; Init: -1; Ref: -1; Fort: 0; Will: -1

Equipment: Flint & steel (15 cp)
Trade good: Crutches
Starting Funds: 35 cp
Lucky sign: Pack hunter (Attack/damage rolls for 0-level weapon)

*** Radny Freemark ***
0-level Occupation: Armorer
Strength: 11 (0)
Agility: 9 (0)
Stamina: 9 (0)
Personality: 10 (0)
Intelligence: 13 (+1)
Luck: 8 (-1)

AC: 10; HP: 4; Weapon: Hammer (as club) +0 (1d4)
Speed: 30; Init: 0; Ref: -1; Fort: -1; Will: -1

Equipment: Holy symbol (25 gp)
Trade good: Iron helmet
Starting Funds: 35 cp
Lucky sign: Lucky sign (Saving throws)

*** Enlo ***
0-level Occupation: Halfling dyer
Strength: 9 (0)
Agility: 14 (+1)
Stamina: 5 (-2)
Personality: 9 (0)
Intelligence: 7 (-1)
Luck: 10 (0)

AC: 11; HP: 2; Weapon: Staff +0 (1d4)
Speed: 20; Init: 1; Ref: 1; Fort: -2; Will: 0

Equipment: Iron spike (1 sp)
Trade good: Fabric (3 yards)
Starting Funds: 26 cp
Lucky sign: Unholy house (Corruption rolls)
Languages: Common
Racial Traits: Halfling ability: Infravision

*** Lyfina Conner ***
0-level Occupation: Weaver
Strength: 5 (-2)
Agility: 12 (0)
Stamina: 11 (0)
Personality: 12 (0)
Intelligence: 16 (+2)
Luck: 13 (+1)

AC: 10; HP: 3; Weapon: Dagger -2 (1d4-2)
Speed: 35; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: 0; Will: 0

Equipment: Flint & steel (15 cp)
Trade good: Fine suit of clothes
Starting Funds: 26 cp
Lucky sign: Wild child (Speed, each +1 = +5' speed)
Languages: Common, choose 2 more
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Approaching the villagers, Tarpy, Rafo and Balin stop their ponies. "Hay there! What are you doing near those woods?" Rafo, waits for the strangers to answer his call. Tarpy and Balin scan the road and woods to their front and rear for a possible ambush or other strange sightings.

ooc...They come to a halt about 40 feet from the villagers.
rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

MrHemlocks wrote:Approaching the villagers, Tarpy, Rafo and Balin stop their ponies. "Hay there! What are you doing near those woods?" Rafo, waits for the strangers to answer his call. Tarpy and Balin scan the road and woods to their front and rear for a possible ambush or other strange sightings.

ooc...They come to a halt about 40 feet from the villagers.
As Rafo waits, the peasants jossle and whisper. After a time, three of them gently shove the fourth to the front to speak. The speaker is a slight woman, with brown hair and bright eyes.

"Hello, I am Lyfina and these are my companions. Here is Los the Lame. Do not let his crutches fool you, he can move quite well. This man is Radny Freemark. He was an assistant armorer for a time before growing tired of his master's unkindness. The short one here is Enlo, who I worked with before his actions caused me to need to leave suddenly."

The three bow in turn.

"To be honest with you, we seek employment. Our money is soon to run out, and we have few other prospects. It looks as though you are set to an adventure. Perhaps you are in need of retainers?" She says hopefully.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

The three approach to within 10' of the villagers. "Greetings." Rafo, says with a smile. "I am called Rafo, and these two are Tarpy and Balin. You seek work and a dangerous one indeed if you wish to join us."

Balin, getting off his horse and standing in front of the older lady. "Lyfina, you are welcomed to join us and that goes for the rest of you. The Baron has sent us on a scouting mission to the Grimmwoods. There is an undead threat about and it is apparently linked to three undead princesses. We are to scout the woods and report back to the Baron with our report."

Little Tarpy pipes in from high a top his pony. "I can say for all of us that the we can use your help but can only offer, to your group, twenty percent of the take and whatever items you can loot is likewise yours to keep. It is not a lot but we like yourselves are strapped for gold and our supplies are limited."

"Here wait one minute." Balin , turns and heads back to the pony. Taking something from it's back, he returns the peasants once again. "We do not have much to give, like Tarpy mentioned, but I do have this." Holding out a short sword he offers it to the peasants. "One of you could use this. It is not much but looking at the weapons you have it is surely a step up."

Rafo, digs into his backpack. "If you are hungry we have some extra food to eat. We can rest up along the road and move out when ready. what so you?"

ALONG THE FOREST ROAD THEY REST...
rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

MrHemlocks wrote:The three approach to within 10' of the villagers. "Greetings." Rafo, says with a smile. "I am called Rafo, and these two are Tarpy and Balin. You seek work and a dangerous one indeed if you wish to join us."

Balin, getting off his horse and standing in front of the older lady. "Lyfina, you are welcomed to join us and that goes for the rest of you. The Baron has sent us on a scouting mission to the Grimmwoods. There is an undead threat about and it is apparently linked to three undead princesses. We are to scout the woods and report back to the Baron with our report."

Little Tarpy pipes in from high a top his pony. "I can say for all of us that the we can use your help but can only offer, to your group, twenty percent of the take and whatever items you can loot is likewise yours to keep. It is not a lot but we like yourselves are strapped for gold and our supplies are limited."

"Here wait one minute." Balin , turns and heads back to the pony. Taking something from it's back, he returns the peasants once again. "We do not have much to give, like Tarpy mentioned, but I do have this." Holding out a short sword he offers it to the peasants. "One of you could use this. It is not much but looking at the weapons you have it is surely a step up."

Rafo, digs into his backpack. "If you are hungry we have some extra food to eat. We can rest up along the road and move out when ready. what so you?"

ALONG THE FOREST ROAD THEY REST...
The group confers for a time, then Lyfina steps forth again to reply, "We accept your offer, so long as 20 percent is the apprentice price, and that we may be considered full members and afforded a full share once we have proven our worth."

Radny takes the sword, "Thank you. I have a little experience with such weapons." He examines the sword, noting the craftsmanship and maker's mark.

The party of peasants spend some time quarelling about a fair distribution of goods. The eventually decide on the following:

Radny - Short Sword (1d6)
Los - Club (1d4)
Enlo - Sling (1d4)
Lyf - Dagger and Staff (1d4-2), and some amount of Enlo's trade fabric.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin, laughing as he watches the other fight over who gets what lights up a smoke and relaxes the time away. "Soon, he mumbles we need to be taking off again but for now...rest."

OOC.. I guess this is a good a place as any to meet any other players that are coming along. We are still waiting on fireinthedust peasants to arrive)

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”