The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

Post by GnomeBoy »

"Ah, the Fey Lands... I have glimpsed them more than once -- but to enter! ...A prize in itself.

"Pity I never learned to read their marks."

Slowly, Yoros rides toward the gate.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

As they edge closer, Travič eyes the runes in stone above the door.

Read Languages D20 + 4 = 24 (Nat 20! First roll w/ my new Critical Hit LED D20!)
Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

"Can any of you decipher these ominous runes? I recognize them not."

Jep lets the other party members take the lead as they approach.
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Bloody Jep the Accumulator (chicken butcher Halfling 4); STR 14, AGI 6, STA 17, PER 10, INT 9, LUC 13; Chaotic; AC 14 (Chainmail); HP 29; Dual-wield Handaxes; Blinded Left Eye; Follower of Cadixtat, the chaos Titan
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Rick, the runes seem to be elvish, and read “The Seeking of Pleasure is the Only Law.” There is another rune there, but you cannot read it.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

[Aaaand I'm out for a little over a week. Write me into limbo/the future/someone's pocket, or use my character as an NPC -- do what you will and I'll catch up when I'm back in computer land...

Have fun stormin' the castle!]
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

"Those runes," the Thief points, "say "Pleasure is the only Law"."

"I'd make much more of an effort to be a law abiding citizen if that was always true," he adds.

"That rune, however, I do not recognize. Could be magic."
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Riding up cautiously, Hamun Ry will try to read the runes from as far back as he can. Or are they obviously magical runes? If so, he won't read them yet.

Oops, nm. Well, can he read the single rune?
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

[Oddly, I don't have Read Magic....unless there's alternate rules for that spell, I don't think any priest can.]
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry makes a strange sign in the air and mumbles an arcane incantation, casting Comprehend Languages. Check: 11+4+2=17.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The elven runes become comprehensible to Hamun Ry, but the one rune central to the portal does not.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"Hmm," Hamun Ry says. Then he pulls out a sheet of parchment and quill and ink, and sketches the rune. Then he puts the stuff back in his pack, and dismounts. "After you, mighty warriors..."
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict tries to push and pull the door open, in case it's simply unlocked.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The door swings open, but Maledict feels a strong hand pushing him back (Will DC 22); if he fails, the door swings closed as he is pushed back, and he takes 1d4 damage. If Maledict succeeds, he may push forward or not, but if not, he will have to face the same hazard going forward again.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hamun Ry will walk up and go through. "All right, Mulmo, let me in."
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict's Will save: 1d20 (17) + 1 = 18

Maledict is pushed back as he opens the door and suffers 1d4 (4) damage.

- Of course I never thought this was going to be easy.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Rick »

Travič is far from sure that he can disable a "trap" such as this one, but he'll try.

He waits to see what happens with Hamun first, though.
Stouthart
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stouthart »

Jep also stands back and watches for now.
Revelation of Mulmo PbP:
Bloody Jep the Accumulator (chicken butcher Halfling 4); STR 14, AGI 6, STA 17, PER 10, INT 9, LUC 13; Chaotic; AC 14 (Chainmail); HP 29; Dual-wield Handaxes; Blinded Left Eye; Follower of Cadixtat, the chaos Titan
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

When Hamun Ry touches the door, a phrase in elvish (via his spell) comes unbidden to his mind, "A seeker comes, seeking admittance".
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

He speaks it aloud... "A seeker comes, seeking admittance." (If he can say it in elvish, he'll try...)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The bronze doors swing open, and the resisting force seems deactivated. For now.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

"After you, mighty warriors," Hamun Ry says, bowing slightly and gesturing with a grand flourish of his arm.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

- I would not have it any other way, O slithering one.

There is no animosity in his tone.

Maledict draws his two-handed sword and walks through the portal, slowly, half-crouched. If it is too dark to see, he first lights a torch but still draws his sword, ready to drop the torch and hold the sword two-handed at a moment's notice.

Edit: he retrieves his equipment from his horse and leaves the beast with someone else's squire (or servant). He's a trusting fellow, so anyone who proposes will do. He also gives a silver piece to the squire. "More to come."

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

As he passes through the gates, Maledict finds himself on a wide open lawn dotted with small silver flowers. While it was twilight outside, it is not long past the noon hour here....perhaps 2 pm. Directly in front of him, about 150 feet away, is a gleaming marble tower, which rises about the same distance into the sky. The inside of the hill curves up toward the tower, but it does not enclose it completely – the top of the elf hill is open to the sky from within, about 10-20 feet from the tower’s sides.

The tower itself is about 40 feet across. He can see neither door nor window in the tower’s blank face.

The sides of the hill, from within, are covered with flowered vines that drape and coil over the walls in pleasing patterns. If you look at them long enough, they seem almost to form intentional patterns. They act as curtains before several entrances Maledict can see ringing the sides of the cavern. He can see nine such openings from where he stands; if they are relatively evenly spaced, there may be a tenth hidden behind the tower.

There are also five entrances ringing the walls about halfway up, where the walls are 20 to 30 feet from the tower.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Can you clarify the following for me, and correct me where my statements are incorrect?

we're walking into the interior of the hill here, and it is hollow. However, there is ground with lawn where we arrive through one of ten doors. There are five doors that hang over ground somewhere higher along the dome-shaped wall, presumably slanted interiorly since the ceiling is, again presumably, dome-shaped.

It is about 2 p.m. inside the hill, but there is a hole at the top of the dome that (presumably) opens outside atop the hill. Does the 2 p.m. light come from outside, through the hole, when we are within? Or is there an inner illumination?

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Skyscraper wrote:Can you clarify the following for me, and correct me where my statements are incorrect?
Sure.

MALEDICT walks into the interior of the hill here, and it is hollow. HE IS CURRENTLY ALONE. However, there is ground with lawn where we arrive. MALEDICT CAN SEE NINE VINE-DRAPPED EXITS INTO THE HILL; THE AREA OF THE LAWN IS NOT THE WHOLE OF THE INNER SPACE. IF THE SPACING CONTINUES AS THOSE HE CAN SEE, THERE SHOULD BE ANOTHER ENTRANCE OUT OF SIGHT, BEHIND THE TOWER. There are five VINE-COVERED ENTRANCES that hang over ground somewhere higher along the dome-shaped wall, presumably slanted interiorly since the ceiling is, again presumably, dome-shaped.

It is about 2 p.m. inside the hill, but there is a hole at the top of the dome that (presumably) opens outside atop the hill. FROM WITHIN THE HILL, IT APPEARS TO BE 2 PM OUTSIDE THE HOLE IN THE TOP OF THE HILL.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”