Frozen in Time - As a 0-level funnel

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Re: Frozen in Time - As a 0-level funnel

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

OOC- My vote is Dr. Meat picks two. Sorry you gotta drop, fullmentaljacket...

Kurr: "That light, maybe it leads outside?" Kurr and Bjorn attempt to force the northern door.
Kurr Str d20=1, Bjorn Str d20(+1)=19

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Post by Judge Perky »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Kurr: "That light, maybe it leads outside?" Kurr and Bjorn attempt to force the northern door.
Kurr Str d20=1, Bjorn Str d20(+1)=19
With a scraping sound of metal upon metal, Kurr and Bjorn force the gap in the door open large enough for you to pass through into the room beyond.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

[I'm having a minor issue with a door opening, one or more characters are standing right there, and there's no hint what's beyond the door frame... :wink: ]

Tarr enters the room, spear aiming forward.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

GnomeBoy wrote:[I'm having a minor issue with a door opening, one or more characters are standing right there, and there's no hint what's beyond the door frame... :wink: ]
OOC: LOL, that's totally fair, even though I'm following the module's lead here. But maybe I'm being too literal... I'll give you more info now that the door is opened; let me know if this changes your plan to enter the room.

You see through the door a cavernous octagonal chamber beyond. Every surface is rimed with frost and drifts of snow cover the floor. Blue-white light filters into the room from a massive hole in the ceiling at the rear of the room.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Frost and snow are no reason to quail for a mighty warrior of the [insert tribe name here]!

Tarr enters, and moves to see where the light in the center is coming from (assuming it's sunlight somehow).
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Dr. Meat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dr. Meat »

[ooc] Dr. Meat will now appropriate Krex and Bitterbrew.

The four characters will keep pace with the rest of the group and enter (from the east) the chamber with passages in ordinal directions.
DIBBON, N, Gatherer, S10, A14(+1), Sm6(-1), P8(-1), I12, L13(+1), AC: 11, HP: 1, Knife 1d4, Speed: 30, Init: 1, R 1, F -1, W -1, 4 cp, Fortunate date Missile fire atk +1
Crowbar, Basket of vegetables, Rations 4x, Large sack, Torches 7x, Flint & steel, Strange-looking rock, Oil flask

WILLOUGHBY ROSENCRANTZ, L, Hunter, S13(+1), A15(+1), Sm10, P9, I8(-1), L15(+1), AC: 11, HP: 1, Spear +1 1d8+1, Speed: 30, Init: 1, R 1, 15 cp, Survived the plague Magical healing +1
Small Hammer, Animal pelt, 10' pole, Hand-sized mirror, Wolf pup, Rations 4x, Small sack, Torches 7x

KREX, N, Hunter, S11, A14(+1), Sm14(+1), P13(+1), I9, L11, AC: 10, HP: 2, Spear 1d8, Speed: 30, Init: +1 Will: +1 water skin(5sp), animal pelt(31 cp), Bountiful Harvest +1hp/lvl

BITTERBREW, C, Brewer, S7(-1), A7(-1), Sm11, P9, I15(+1), L14(+1), AC: 9, HP: 1, Club -1 1d4-1, Speed: 30, Init: -1, Ref: -1; Holy symbol(25 gp), Skin of beer(31 cp), The Broken Star Fumbles +1, Common +1

RIP Barbul the Halfling and Dead Rabbit
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Kurr leads his quad into the northern room. They spread out, battle-ready, and scan the octagonal area.

Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

GnomeBoy wrote:Frost and snow are no reason to quail for a mighty warrior of the The Ghost Ice Clan [Edited]!

Tarr enters, and moves to see where the light in the center is coming from (assuming it's sunlight somehow).
Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Kurr leads his quad into the northern room. They spread out, battle-ready, and scan the octagonal area.
Dr. Meat wrote:[ooc] Dr. Meat will now appropriate Krex and Bitterbrew.

The four characters will keep pace with the rest of the group...
Ok, you enter in order to begin to tentatively explore the frosty room. Further inspection of the chamber is suddenly curtailed when a snow-white, towering beast lurches into view and falls upon you with snarling fangs and claws!

OOC: INIT (per player), to hit, damage (per character) please!
*Jonathan*

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Init d20=1 :roll:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Tarr:

Init: 8

Spear: 19+1, damage 3

And he yells for Voorak: "VOORAK!!"

Dr. Meat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dr. Meat »

Init: d20 +1: 5+1 = 6
DIBBON, N, Gatherer, S10, A14(+1), Sm6(-1), P8(-1), I12, L13(+1), AC: 11, HP: 1, Knife 1d4, Speed: 30, Init: 1, R 1, F -1, W -1, 4 cp, Fortunate date Missile fire atk +1
Crowbar, Basket of vegetables, Rations 4x, Large sack, Torches 7x, Flint & steel, Strange-looking rock, Oil flask

WILLOUGHBY ROSENCRANTZ, L, Hunter, S13(+1), A15(+1), Sm10, P9, I8(-1), L15(+1), AC: 11, HP: 1, Spear +1 1d8+1, Speed: 30, Init: 1, R 1, 15 cp, Survived the plague Magical healing +1
Small Hammer, Animal pelt, 10' pole, Hand-sized mirror, Wolf pup, Rations 4x, Small sack, Torches 7x

KREX, N, Hunter, S11, A14(+1), Sm14(+1), P13(+1), I9, L11, AC: 10, HP: 2, Spear 1d8, Speed: 30, Init: +1 Will: +1 water skin(5sp), animal pelt(31 cp), Bountiful Harvest +1hp/lvl

BITTERBREW, C, Brewer, S7(-1), A7(-1), Sm11, P9, I15(+1), L14(+1), AC: 9, HP: 1, Club -1 1d4-1, Speed: 30, Init: -1, Ref: -1; Holy symbol(25 gp), Skin of beer(31 cp), The Broken Star Fumbles +1, Common +1

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

So only 3 characters are attacking?

Remember: OOC: INIT (per player), to hit, damage (per character) please!
*Jonathan*

Dr. Meat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dr. Meat »

For me, yes:

Again, Init of 6

Assuming any of them survive the first interaction (depending on init):

DIBBON: Knife 14 = 14, Dam = (4)
WILL: Spear 7 +1 = 8, Dam = 4+1 (5)
KREX: Spear 10 = 10, Dam = (2)
BB: Club 17 -1 = 16, Dam = 4-1 (3)

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Tarr approaches the fearsome 10' tall creature, and jabs his spear home, eliciting a howl of anger and pain. He notices that there are a number of other wounds on the creature's body already.

Dibbon rakes his knife across the beast's thigh. The creature bats Will and Krex's spears aside, but Bitterbrew clubs him!

Dazed, weak and in pain, the snow-creature tries to grab Kurr and slam him to the icy floor, but Kurr manages to evade his grasp.

FENRIS' TURN for the final actions of the round.
*Jonathan*

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Emboldened by their allies success, they rush the beast, each as opportunity presents itself.
Kurr: att d20=12, spear d8=6
Myrna: att d20(-1)=3
Bjorn: attd20(+1)=17, dagger(+1)=4
Blackfeet: att d20+5

ooc: so... should I just roll for all my characters immediately, regardless of initiative? play-by-post noob, here :mrgreen: )

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:so... should I just roll for all my characters immediately, regardless of initiative? play-by-post noob, here :mrgreen: )
Right -- roll initiative AND the attacks, the everything in the round can be juggled at once. 8)

And BTW, my other three are drawn in by the yell and the sounds of battle...

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Bjorn leaps onto the back of the creature and draws her knife across his throat... and it drops with a muffled thud, it's warm blood creating rivulets in the frost on the frost below it.

As you catch your breath and look around the great mounds of shattered ice and piles of snow nearly filling this cavernous room, you see that in several places, the remains of broken furnishing protrude from the avalanche, suggesting that this room was once a living area. With the exception of a small wooden box half buried in a snow drift, whatever this room once contained is now permanently entombed in ice and snow.

The pile of icy debris is greatest beneath the fractured ceiling. The heap terminates just below the holed ceiling. Near one wall to the right, another large pillar with a rectangular indentation set in its side runs from floor to ceiling. The area surrounding the pillar is only partially covered by ice and snow.
*Jonathan*

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Tarr chips away the ice on the box with his spear. Once cleared, he throws the thing open.

Voorak and the others enter.

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Bjorn and Kurr examine the beast, assessing the value of its hide, meat etcetra. Myrna stands ready to help them skin it, and Blackfeet tries to scale the icy mound in the center to gain a view of the outside.

Can they identify the creature?

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

GnomeBoy wrote:Tarr chips away the ice on the box with his spear. Once cleared, he throws the thing open.
Tarr picks up the beautiful mahogany box and opens it.

Inside is a 3" diameter metal disk with five flexible "tentacles" protruding from it, resembling a skinny star fish.
Fenris wrote:Bjorn and Kurr examine the beast, assessing the value of its hide, meat etcetra. Myrna stands ready to help them skin it, and Blackfeet tries to scale the icy mound in the center to gain a view of the outside.

Can they identify the creature?
A close examination of the beast reveals that it is a rare creature rarely seen by those who live to speak of it... a yeti. Legend has it that these yeti types maintain a secret city far out in the snowy wastes of the Forlorn North. Normally, yeti avoid contact with men, but this one must have become aggressive due to injury, hunger and fear. Surely, its hide would be worth something to a trader from the south or as a trophy for a hunter. As for the meat, it tastes like chicken. :-)
*Jonathan*

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Judge Perky wrote:Inside is a 3" diameter metal disk with five flexible "tentacles" protruding from it, resembling a skinny star fish.
Gray stone makes good weapons, thinks Tarr.

Is it sharp on it's disc edge, or it's tentacle edges? Do the tentacles just flex up and down relative to the disk, or do they have a fuller range of motion?

Anything underneath it, when he lifts it out of the box?

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

GnomeBoy wrote:Gray stone makes good weapons, thinks Tarr.

Is it sharp on it's disc edge, or it's tentacle edges? Do the tentacles just flex up and down relative to the disk, or do they have a fuller range of motion?

Anything underneath it, when he lifts it out of the box?
Not sharp on the edges, no.

When Tarr picks it up, the tentacles wrap around his hand, and force the metal disc snug into his palm...

The disc glows with a dim silver luminescence, but produces no other noticeable effect.
*Jonathan*

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Bjorn offers a prayer of gratitude to the Great Bear and begins to skin the yeti with the help of Myrna and Kurr. Kurr packs the carcass in snow to preserve it for later retrieval- such a kill could feed the whole tribe!

ooc: Yetis...probably not good...lol. Can Blackfeet see anything through the holes in the ceiling?

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Can Blackfeet see anything through the holes in the ceiling?
The crevasse in the ceiling leads upwards into the ice, roughly at a 45 degree angle. There are many cracks and protrusions, but any attempt to climb up this way would certainly be precarious (although you are welcome to attempt it if you like).
*Jonathan*

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Judge Perky wrote:...the tentacles wrap around his hand, and force the metal disc snug into his palm...

The disc glows with a dim silver luminescence, but produces no other noticeable effect.
If he tries to shake it off, does that change anything?

Does it interfere with him using his spear, or seem likely to interfere with other manual tasks?

Is it warm/cold/bitey/fit-like-a-glove?

"The Demon Ice has marked me...! Perhaps, it will speak through me... Take heed, everyone!"

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”