First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

User avatar
Vort
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 pm
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Vort » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:45 pm

Beadle Bailey Bramford: "Can I just say it is a pleasure to be here, milords. As I was just saying to my comrade here," and he gestures to some poor person standing next to him looking like they'd rather be elsewhere than next to the rambling Beadle, "I'm sure we have plenty of stalwart individuals here and will quickly have the basements cleared of blah blah blah" and he drones on and on, if allowed, especially to anyone who happens to catch his eye.

The Illuminating Ankh pointedly ignores his over-talkative fellow, purses his lips, and says nothing, self-assured that he will impress his hosts enough to admit him to this prestigious school of the arcane.

Shaky and Shifty have a quick discussion among themselves until Shifty nudges his brother and gestures to the two officials. Shaky speaks up in a wavering voice: "Uh, good sirs, that is, your eminences: do we bring up the, uh, heads, one at a time, or will you be providing some form of wheeled cart -- or something?" A quick nudge from Shifty and Shaky adds: "And food, uh, will you be providing any, uh, food and drink for our labours?"
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, staff +1 (1d4+1)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3570
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by GnomeBoy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Mercer: "If we should find other pests, can we assume extra pay -- say double -- for any such heads we find?" Mercer will want to negotiate and haggle for a better rate for other heads (should there be any to collect), but we can do this with a Per roll if that'll simplify things (Per 13).

Dejah: "Lower us? Are you saying their aren't any stairs or a simple ladder...?"

Kuruz: "Will sacks be provided? Or are we bringing up each head individually?"
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 3 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:26 pm

Edit- Gnomeboy beat me to post! Added some additional info.
Zser lets out a deep sigh.

"Aeder-Kadai? Only the most legendary slayer of malign magical mutants and miscreants, and one of the original founders of this school? Surely even such as you will have.... Oh well. Perhaps you were right about this lot, Biliac..."

The shorter mage snickers.

"Nevertheless I will attempt to answer your questions. You will be lowered into the sub-basement by means of a mechanism in the next room. Biliac and I will keep watch from above, to make sure nothing untoward attempts to creep out whole you are down there, and we will also bring you up and weigh your take when you wish to leave. As for sustenance, if you become hungry or have other problems while below, just return to the area below the lift and call out to us- we will do our best to meet your needs. The deal we offer- without a written contract so as not to offend the eminent persons of the rat-catchers guild, you understand- is one piece of gold per kilogram of head mass-"

The shorter mage flashes a handful of bright metal coins, to emphasize the point.

"-and you can deliver the heads to the lift for temporary storage if you somehow collect more than you can carry. I am afraid this offer was made by the council and we have no authority to negotiate pay. Unfortunately we also have no carrying equipment or luggage to spare beyond what you brought yourselves. The advertisement said to bring your own equipment, after all. As for what exactly is down there?"

He looks at his colleage and shrugs.

"We are just low-level graduate students here, tasked with supervising you in order to earn a stipend. We have never found reason to trek down there ourselves to look. But surely it's nothing you can't handle, or else the all-seeing conclave would send someone more... Er... Official, I'm sure. And we assure you everything down there is fair game- we're under orders not suffer anything crawling about in the muck under there to live. We will pay for anything that is recognizable as a head... not one of yours, though. We've memorized your faces so no funny business!

Now if you have no further questions, please follow me to the lift and I will swear you in."

Zser hefts the massive claymore from the wall as if it is made of hollow tin, and with a weary glance at his colleage, prepares to lead the way from the hall.
I'll try for the intro post taking you down into the dungeon later tonight.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Ok, here goes...
Zser-Zerad leads you into large, circular room with a large golden depression in the middle, shaped like a very shallow bowl (as the last rank of villagers leaves the lecture hall, they notice a new group of villagers much like themselves filing in to take their places). In the new room, the mage motions everyone to stand on the golden circle. When they are all assembled, he raises the sword and begins the oath, half speaking and half chanting...

"In the name of Æder-Kadai, lord protector of the Manticore
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
We lend the task of twelve generations unto you, monster-slayers
of the Tower
Consectetur adipiscing elit
Of protecting our bastion of knowledge from the threats that
plague the mortal world
Tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua
With the power of the seven wizards we give you the powers of
magic and steel
Rhoncus dolor purus non enim praesent
And trust upon you the Sword of Æder-Kadai, abjured be thy
name, to vanquish what lies below
Venenatis lectus magna urna rhoncus dolor..."

The oath is long, ceremonious, and filled with strange foreign words. Those of the group that find themselves dozing by the end of the oath, however, are startled when the ground under their feet lifts a few inches with a sudden jolt, then begins to slowly descend below the floor.

"Oh, I nearly forgot, we're supposed to give you this..."

As the platform descends, almost as an afterthought, Zser-Zerad tosses the sword down onto it. Mercifully it hits no one as it falls surprisingly quietly to rest on the golden surface.

The light from the torches above dims as the platform descends 40 feet below the floor. Observant villagers note the walls of the shaft as they transition from brick to coarser stone, and then to natural brown sedimentary rock, dripping with dank water. Suddenly, over the last 10 feet, the shaft's walls give way to a larger cavern. As your eyes adjust, you see that the platform has halted even with the floor of the cavern, which is about the size and shape of the room in the tower above. A hollow ringing under your feet tells you that the shaft continues below the platform. There are sconces with unlit torches on the north and south walls of this room, but all else seems to be natural rock, aside from an empty doorway to a straight passage that appears to be carved into the west wall. There is also a more natural-looking tunnel mouth opening from the northeast corner of the room.

Anyone looking around will notice rubbish and other signs that past parties like yourselves may have passed through or even camped here.

Just as you are getting your bearings, Zser-Zerad calls down one more time...

"All right, best of luck to you, mighty exterminators! We are very busy here, so please do not bother us with trivialities, but if you have serious issues or are ready to cash in your prizes and leave, just shout my name or Biliac's up the shaft and we will be around shortly to respond. Fare well!"
Aaaand action! Remember, this is DCC, so try and be as descriptive as possible about what you're doing to avoid tons of skill checks. You may leave the tower whenever you wish (retiring your character), and depending on how things are going I may send down another group of peasants under a new player and/or (if your retirees have earned 10 XP) consider a follow on PBP with 1-levels. There are many events in this dungeon that could be considered "endgames" and it isn't very linear, so have fun with it and don't feel ties to any one course of action. And of course, feel free to split the party, Judges love that :twisted:
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3570
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by GnomeBoy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:45 pm

On the descent, Zend uses his flint and steel to light one of Dejah's torches. At the bottom, taking care in case the cavern floor is slippery or tricky to walk on, she steps off the platform to light one of the torches in the sconces, if they'll ignite.

Mercer hitches the small sack he owns onto his belt, confidently ready to fill it with rat heads. He lights one of his torches off of Dejah's before she steps off the platform.

Kuruz turns this way and that, brandishing his club, suddenly not as assured as he was on the surface, certain that something horrible is about to happen. "I have a bad feeling about this..."
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 3 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 pm

Quentin Plum, costermonger, looks uneasily out of the corner of his eye at the giant sword in the middle of the platform. He swallows, and looks at the others on the gold disc, and hopes someone else is strong enough to wield it. His backpack is heavy with young apricots, and he can smell them every now and again when he shifts position. He wonders to himself if perhaps putting some of the fruit out in an ideal location might draw some of the rats, though he's a bit too shy to mention it to anyone at this stage.

Sally Longshanks the herder gives a low whistle, to command Dog, the dog, to heel. Together they step easily down from the disc, and she takes a moment to look around. She's looking for any sign of scat (or fewmets!), though she is no tracker. Still, she and Dog have chased down many a lost sheep and she knows how to take things one step at a time.

Beezel Scribbler reaches inside his waistcoat pocket and grips his best quill tightly. He wonders if he should get out the crowbar in his small sack. No, silly, they'll think you don't know what you're doing, he tells himself. He moves off after Sally and the dog, thinking they look somewhat capable, not like that sweating, skinny other fellow with the dripping bag...

Smythe Quickhands scoffs and smirks as he swishes his cloak around him and gently touches the hilt of his dagger. That ridiculous sword will only slow him down. Probably just for show anyway. Besides: rats! That's nothing compared to The Spider. And if he can survive that, Smythe knows he can survive anything. Think now, boy, he tells himself. If I were a stinking, starving, rat, which way would I go?
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10

User avatar
ManjoBan
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 pm
FLGS: Collectors Connection
Location: Duluth, MN

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by ManjoBan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:39 am

Wiola Copperpence - Immediately steps off of the platform and starts rummaging through the rubbish left behind, placing anything of any remote value into her large sac. "Ya know, one halfling's trash is another halfling's trash, and sometimes trash is useful! This place looks a lot like the basement of my families trade house back home..."

Benedict Beatletongue - Hands his lantern to Elvelyn and smugly picks up the sword and inspects the blade, testing the strength of the blade in his hand, checking with a false professionalism to see if the sword is real. He immediately concludes "Ha, I knew these charlatans would try to trick us with this useless relic! I also knew my lord would test my.... *mumbles something incoherent under his breath and trails off*. Umm..scribe! Be sure to record my heroic deeds for the records of my church!" He immediately starts marching with the sword in hand toward the passage in the west wall, with an undertone of panic and a false overconfidence stutters "f...ff.....f...ffFOR MY LORD!"

Elvelyn Quillback - Takes the lantern from Benedict, lights it with her flint and steel, pulls out a piece of parchment and her quill, grins, and starts writing The Timely Demise of a Smug Beadle: The story of Benedict Beatletongue "yeah, Yeah! This might be my best title yet..."

Darryl Pennypinch - Brandishes his long sword in one hand, and fingers the copper pieces in his pocket with his other, unsteady on his feet "Nothing good ever came from unnatural holes in the ground, just spiders and useless legs. I say we head down the passage in the west wall. Looks more...inviting?"
Wiola Copperpence,Halfling Trader, N -- AC 11, 4 hp -- R+1, F+1, W-1 -- str 11, agi 13, sta 14, per 8, int 6, luc 12
Elvelyn Quillback, Scribe, N -- AC 11, 1 hp -- R+1, F-1, W+1 -- str 13, agi 12, sta 7, per 13, int 10, luc 13
Benedict Beatletongue, Beadle, C -- AC 10, 5 hp -- R0, F+1, W0 -- str 14, agi 11, sta 13, per 12, int 11, luc 8
Darryl Pennypinch, Tax Collector, L -- AC 7, 4 hp -- R-3, F+1, W+1 -- str 14, agi 3, sta 13, per13, int 13, luc 11

User avatar
Vort
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 pm
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Vort » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 am

Shifty and Shaky have a quick conference between themselves on the way down. At the bottom, they wait, blinking in the dark, until Dejah lights a torch. Shaky immediately heads to take a couple of torches from the wall and approaches Dejah with a polite "If'n you don't mind, milday" and will light his torches from hers. If'n she doesn't mind.

Shifty joins the halfling rummaging around in the trash, also looking for anything of potential worth, particularly anything sharp with which to cut off heads. "I'd be agreein with ya there, lass, there's oft'n treasure t'be found in sommun else's trash." Shaky, with lit torches, walks over to provide better light for his brother rooting around on the floor. If the group gets moving down the corridor, the brothers will follow and trail at the end.

Beadle Bailey Bramford: "Well, this is exciting, isn't it? I always wanted to go on adventure! The civic life was not for me, no siree. I always knew I was destined for something bigger, something more fulfilling. Ah, torches, what an absolutely grand idea! I think I will avail myself of one of these" -- and he takes one off a wall sconce -- "which likely had been placed here for our procurement. Now, does anyone perchance have a light? I seem to have left my tinderbox at home. Ah, thank you, my good friend," he says, dipping his torch against someone else's without waiting for their consent. "As I was saying, civic life was..." and he continues to drone on and on, heedless of actually doing anything and moving with the general flow of the entire group.

The Illuminating Ankh, former sculptor of extraordinary talent (self-described), looked around the cavern with a mix of disdain and interest. "Tsk." He really did not like the thought of getting dirty but he was determined to gain admittance to the mysterious, prestigious school and there were bound to be secrets and bits of forgotten lore to be found down here. Noticing someone take up the sword and proceed to the west passage, he calls out "Just so, good swordsman! Lead us forth!" but he will linger towards the back. Using his staff as a probe before him, he will inspect anything that looks out of place or may hint to a hidden niche or alcove.

[ooc]

@ManjoBan - bummer on the Agi 3 roll! That's a novelty for sure!
@Judge_Yossarian - do you play 0-levels having racial traits like infravision? If not, Ankh will light his torch from another's.
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, staff +1 (1d4+1)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 am

[ooc] Dammit, I knew I forgot something. Stupid ten-foot pole! Smythe's flamboyant entrance is somewhat ruined by it.

[Back ic]
Seeing the ridiculous fruit man looking sadly at the empty lantern at his side, Smythe tosses a flask of oil his way. "Take it, my good man," he says, immediately identifying a lesser creature upon whom he can probably press for favours down the line, should they both live that long. "May our newfound partnership continue to illuminate us both."

He picks up the long pole on the ground at his side, and gives a wink that somehow extends to the entire party, should anyone else make the mistake of meeting his eye. "Never fear, the trap-finder's here!"

Sally snorts, and after trying to discern what sort of creatures might be defecating down here, ignores the shyster and lights one of her own torches from Dejah's.

Quentin barely catches the flask in time, and ducks his head at Smythe in thanks. Seeing everyone else lighting torches he decides to hold off on the lantern until it might be better used.

[ooc again]
@vort I do like Beadle Bailey. I'm curious to know what our other Beadle thinks of him... Beezel Scribbler is thinking he might be a kindred spirit.
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Ok...*deep breath*...
By the light of the torches and lanterns, you find nothing else of interest in the room. The rubbish scattered around the floor turns out to be nothing but the charred remains of a few campfires and what might have been a meal- broken unidentifiable bits of bone, scraps of cloth and leather, broken glass and pottery shards, and other worthless detritus. The odor of droppings is not, it turns out, one of the smells contributing to the dank scent that pervades the cavern, as Sally discovers no droppings or signs of any vermin.

Suddenly, everyone's attention is drawn by an exclamation of surprise as Benedict Beatletongue, caught up in his own fantasy of heroism, attempts to lift the sword that the wizard had so easily hefted and tossed, only to realize that he can barely lift the hilt a hand's breadth off the ground. The sword appears to be solid adamantium, and by the looks of the way he strains and suddenly drops it, would take at least four average men to carry normally.

While Benedict's embarassed yelp initially drew everyone's attention, what held it there was that rather than falling normally when he dropped it, the sword flipped unnaturally to balance on its hilt, remaining perfectly upright for a fraction of a second before falling with the point aiming directly to the tunnel to the northeast.

Evelyn, who had been observing Benedict and the sword already, was lucky enough (Luck ability check rolled 6, under luck of 13) to notice that for a split second after he released the hilt, four distinct lines of runes around the grip were glowing faintly.

Benedict, for his part, felt a jolt of something strange and unsettling as he grasped the hilt, as if someone unseen was trying to get his attention from far off.

Finally, to complete the unsettling scene, a rumble like far-off thunder echoes briefly through the cavern.
OOC: Yes I allow infravision, although like many I interpret it as a sixth sense with slightly less definition than normal vision... somewhere between infrared and gray-scale. Other racial traits, with the exception of movement speed, I do not generally apply, although I might consider a penalty if you try to encase an elf in iron or something. And if it matters, I consider adamantium to be non-ferrous.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:19 pm

"Ah," Beezel Scribler says, coming over. "That's rather curious now, isn't it? I suppose it wishes us to assay in that direction? The question is therefore, whether we, er, wish to follow the promptings of a supernatural blade, or, ahem, "forge" our own way? I believe I recall the gentleman above saying we are meant to have it? But why? And surely lumbering through these infested tunnels with an oversized scimitar is not the best use of one's time? We could hardly chop a rat's head off with it, could we?"

He reaches out with a toe and pushes it, to see if it might budge.
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10

User avatar
Vort
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 pm
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Vort » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Beadle Bailey Bramford: "Well, my word, would you look at that? Would you look at that? He walked over to take a better look at the sword. "Would you look at that, eh?" Shaking his head, he mostly just kept repeating "Would you look at that?" in a voice filled with wonder, looking first at Benedict, then at Beezel, then at the sword, back at Benedict, at Beezel, at the sword, adding in anyone else who approaches ...

Shifty gave up rooting around on the floor. "Bah! There's nuthin ere but unidentifiable bits o' bone, scraps o cloth an leather, broken glass an pottery shards, an other worthless stuff." Slamming his empty chest shut, he stood up without bothering to brush himself off and grabbed one of the torches held forth by his brother. "You'd better be right about this gig," he said to Shaky who watched with a keen eye -- from a distance -- when Beezel poked the sword with a toe. "How do we know it's not leading us the wrong way? Uh, what was THAT?" the latter asked at the sound of distant thunder, looking around fretfully.

"Well, good man, perhaps you should lead us that way then," said The Illuminating Ankh, addressing Benedict and pointing in the same direction as the sword was pointing. "It's the sword of Aeder-Kadai, after all, and would obviously not lead us astray," he added with authority without having a clue who Aeder-Kadai was.

[ooc] Thanks @herself! Everyone's got a lively group of peasants. It'll be interesting to see where they go.
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, staff +1 (1d4+1)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3570
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by GnomeBoy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:42 am

Kuruz, the shabbiest of the whole bunch down here, smelling like soil and stale beer, pipes up. "Mebbe, which ever way we goes, we can make use of them scraps o' cloth and leather..." He opens a thick-leather pouch on his belt, revealing that it is full of a viscous yellow-orange liquid.

"You two with them long poles, together with me there's three of them. If we ties some cloth to the ends and dips 'em in my cheese here, mebbe we can lure out some rats without getting too close at first... Rats likes cheese, din't they?"


Meanwhile, Zend surveys the group and tries to see if anyone is as "cut" as he is -- "Perhaps we should take this strange sword with us, even if just for a bit to determine it's usefulness. Who'll help me with it?"

Dejah willingly helps light torches for anyone else who wants one.


[OOC: I'm off to work for the Dark Master this weekend, leaving later today. I'll try to check in on this when I can. Feel free to run my characters for me if I miss posting.]
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 3 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

User avatar
ManjoBan
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 pm
FLGS: Collectors Connection
Location: Duluth, MN

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by ManjoBan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 am

Wiola Copperpence - picks up a bone fragment and pottery shard and puts them into her bag and she mumbles under her breath "Damn...I cannot come back empty handed again...better this rubbish than nothing, maybe I can tell someone they are magical... Right, off we go then? Those heads aren't going to bag themselves."

Benedict Beatletongue - staggers back, mouth agape, before regaining his composure "Uhhh...ahem...yes...uh...right, look at that indeed!" turns to Beadle Bailey Bramford "You seem surprised my poorly informed friend. I KNEW that would happen. I knew MY lord would channel his power through this toy sword. Well, it would be foolish not to follow MY lords wishes! To the northeast!". He starts marching toward the northeast trying to regain any composure he lost, leaving the sword behind.

Elvelyn Quillback - begins laughing hysterically at Benedict's attempt to gather the sword and scribbles notes down onto her parchment "This is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Damn the heads, I'm going to get rich off of this poor fool's pride!" Elvelyn follows Benedict, eagerly awaiting Benedict's next foolish act.

Darryl Pennypinch - "Nothing good ever came from a sound like that, and I'll be damned if we leave this giant sword behind! Zend, I'll help ye. Stop looking at the damned thing beadle, we all see it, now help us carry it!"

[ooc]
@Vort I actually laughed out loud at Beadle Bailey Bramford. I can absolutely picture that guy 100%. Absolutely brilliant delivery.
@Judge_Yossarian This is my first PbP, sorry about assuming I could just carry that giant 'effing sword off into the dungeon. I'll temper my actions a bit to leave room for you to tell the story!
Wiola Copperpence,Halfling Trader, N -- AC 11, 4 hp -- R+1, F+1, W-1 -- str 11, agi 13, sta 14, per 8, int 6, luc 12
Elvelyn Quillback, Scribe, N -- AC 11, 1 hp -- R+1, F-1, W+1 -- str 13, agi 12, sta 7, per 13, int 10, luc 13
Benedict Beatletongue, Beadle, C -- AC 10, 5 hp -- R0, F+1, W0 -- str 14, agi 11, sta 13, per 12, int 11, luc 8
Darryl Pennypinch, Tax Collector, L -- AC 7, 4 hp -- R-3, F+1, W+1 -- str 14, agi 3, sta 13, per13, int 13, luc 11

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:20 pm

The appeal to his strength (and his pride) has Beezel rolling up his sleeves and offering to help carry the sword, despite just wondering aloud how such a thing might be done.

[ooc] How on earth is this guy my strongest character? Hehehehehe. I think he is hoping to align himself with those who look competent; perhaps something will rub off on him.

@ManjoBan this is my first PbP too! I'm also not sure how far I should be advancing the story with each post, but also don't want to slow anything down by too much "thinking aloud". It's a fine balance, I suspect...
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 pm

Between the three of them, Zend, Daryl and Beezel are not quite able to carry the sword, but they can drag it along, its tip scraping across the stone floor with a grating sound (unless a fourth decides to help them). If any of them grasps the hilt now, they feel the same odd sensation benedict did, and clearly see the writing on the hilt illuminate when held. (If any of the four want to attempt to read it, roll an INT check)

Those who venture down the Northeast tunnel notice that, though it is mostly natural and winds back and forth a bit, there are also signs of improvements holding it together, with occasional clay brick columns and wooden supports. After about 50 paces it cuts sharply to the left, then 50 paces later it cuts sharply right again. Just beyond that, a short fork to the left leads to a tunnel walled off with stone masonry and a solid oaken door.

Every 30 seconds or so, the same rumbly thundering sound echoes through the caverns. It seems to be getting slightly louder as you proceed, although direction is hard to determine down here.
OOCs-
@Manjoban and Herself: no worries! This is your story, I'm just the referee. Take things wherever you want at whatever pace you want. I'll only retcon it back like that if a core mechanic of the adventure is invoked. Cool thing about PbPs, we can do that pretty easily if necessary.

@Gnomeboy: understood- hope you can enjoy some real-life gaming. I may also be slow to respond as tomorrow I must spend some time bonding with my patron (or matron, I guess?)
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 am

Judge_Yossarian wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 pm

OOCs-
@Manjoban and Herself: no worries! This is your story, I'm just the referee. Take things wherever you want at whatever pace you want. I'll only retcon it back like that if a core mechanic of the adventure is invoked. Cool thing about PbPs, we can do that pretty easily if necessary.

@Gnomeboy: understood- hope you can enjoy some real-life gaming. I may also be slow to respond as tomorrow I must spend some time bonding with my patron (or matron, I guess?)
[OOC]
Excellent, will carry on then! Thanks :) It's the weekend for me now, so I too will probably be slower to check in over the next day or so.

[IC]
Beezel will attempt an int check; if I'm to roll that I get an 11 on the die, with no int bonus.

The others in my group have come on down the hall as well; Sally and Dog are looking around for activity of the animal variety; she is using her walking staff to poke at any odd dark corners here and there. Quentin unfortunately will probably hinder rather than help any efforts with the sword, though he was intrigued by Kuruz's pouch of viscous liquid. He has his paring knife at the ready.

Smythe is tap-tap-tapping with his pole, though he feels safe in the knowledge that he is doing so towards the back of the group, and therefore isn't likely to come across any traps; he's hoping for secret doors and the like, and extra treasure in particular, for he doesn't particularly relish the thought of chopping off multiple kilos of rats' heads, but he does have that debt to pay...

When he reaches the masonry, unless anyone else at the front decides to do it, he would like to try and shush the party so they can have a bit of a listen at the door...
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10

User avatar
ManjoBan
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 pm
FLGS: Collectors Connection
Location: Duluth, MN

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by ManjoBan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:46 am

Wiola Copperpence - searches around the floor in the tunnel for anything remotely shiny.

Elvelyn Quillback - Is immediately behind Benedict, quill in hand, hoping to for a trap to spring that will seriously maim, but not kill Benedict. "Oh please let this be good!"

Benedict Beatletongue - quietly walks up the to the door, next to Smythe, and says with a loud and unearned authority "Ah yes, let me take a look. MY lord will surely protect us from any traps!" Benedict will search the door for traps.

Darryl Pennypinch - looks intently at the runes, attempting to read them rolled a 16+1 (int) = 17

[ooc]
Sounds good. We shall continue on this perilous adventure!
I'll also be out of town this weekend, without internet, so I may not be able to post again until tonight or Sunday. Sorry in advance!
Wiola Copperpence,Halfling Trader, N -- AC 11, 4 hp -- R+1, F+1, W-1 -- str 11, agi 13, sta 14, per 8, int 6, luc 12
Elvelyn Quillback, Scribe, N -- AC 11, 1 hp -- R+1, F-1, W+1 -- str 13, agi 12, sta 7, per 13, int 10, luc 13
Benedict Beatletongue, Beadle, C -- AC 10, 5 hp -- R0, F+1, W0 -- str 14, agi 11, sta 13, per 12, int 11, luc 8
Darryl Pennypinch, Tax Collector, L -- AC 7, 4 hp -- R-3, F+1, W+1 -- str 14, agi 3, sta 13, per13, int 13, luc 11

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Both Daryl and Beezel are surprised to discover that the runes on the sword's hilt and guard are not runes at all, but rather words in common, engraved in an archaic and ornate font. A sentence twisted around the guard reads "Wield ye my Powers, Protect ye this Tower." A single word is engraved down each of the four sides of the hilt's grip: PUSH, STRIKE, BREAK, and OUST.

Daryl, slow of foot but not of mind, suddenly recalls a sword a down-on-his-luck mercenary once offered him as collateral on back taxes. The knight had claimed it was engraved with words of power which, spoken by the wielder, could curse one's enemies. It was an obvious fake, so Daryl had rejected it and forced the man to cough up his stash of silver, but this sword seems to be much older and of fine (perhaps even supernaturally fine) manufacture.

Benedict finds no traps on the door, and in fact there does not appear to be a locking or latching mechanism; just a plain iron handle to pull it open, and its own weight and friction to keep it from swinging open on its own. However, gentle pulling suggests there is quite a lot of friction, and perhaps the settling of the tower above has wedged the door shut. It would take some strength and effort to tug it open. (Roll a strength check to try the door)

Once Benedict finishes his inspection, and after waiting for another of the periodic rumbling noises to stop, Smythe puts an ear to the door and hears faint sounds of movement on the other side... snuffling and scraping, as if that of a small animal, as well as an odd clicking noise.

Near the back of the group, Sally notices Dog's ears prick up, and sees him staring and sniffing inquisitively toward the dark tunnel from which you all came.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:35 pm

[OOC]
I can't help it, the thought of the tax collector and the lawyer holding on to this mystical sword is most entertaining...

[IC]
At the back, Sally says "Ho there. Hold up; something approaches." She tells Dog again to keep to her heel and turns to look behind.

Do Daryl or Beezel dare speak a word aloud? Beezel, as an elven lawyer, knows how powerfully words can both entangle and liberate. They probably shouldn't, but it's all just a bit too exciting. He raises one eyebrow at Daryl, as if to say do you want to try? Or shall I? Or shall we do it together?

Smythe has a conundrum. Open the door and face what mysteries lie beyond, or wait for whatever is behind them, possibly trapping them here? [I do an int check, just to see which way he would go: head, or heart? Head wins out in this case; I roll a 13, under his int score.] The animal on the other side of the door sounds small. The clicking sound, well, they can deal with that when they discover what it is. Behind them is an unknown. He would rather face some degree of certainty, rather than let something from the darkness come upon them. They can always close the door against it should it be something nasty.

"Right then lads," he says to the burliest of those beside him. "Shall we give this door a yank together?"
[Smythe makes a strength check: 19-1=18]
[Depending on how many are able to assist, Quentin will also attempt to aid, but there might not be enough room... in which case feel free to include or exclude him :) Str check: 8-1=7.]


Sally and Beezel are busy and so won't help on the door.
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10

User avatar
Vort
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 pm
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Vort » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 pm

[ooc]Apologies, all. Been down with the flu the last couple of days. Will catch up when brainpower allows.[/ooc]
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, staff +1 (1d4+1)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Vort wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 pm
[ooc]Apologies, all. Been down with the flu the last couple of days. Will catch up when brainpower allows.[/ooc]
That's no good! Hope it isn't too debilitating & you feel better soon!
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10

User avatar
ManjoBan
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 pm
FLGS: Collectors Connection
Location: Duluth, MN

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by ManjoBan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:17 pm

Wiola - stares intently at the door, dreaming of the treasures that lie beyond.

Evelyn - stands behind Benedict, egging him on to open the door.

Benedict -”By the power of my lord I demand this door opened! Strength check 4+1=5

Darryl - turns to Beezle Nothing good ever came from a beadle taking charge. I say we say “push” to make this damned sword open this damned door!

OOC:

@vort Dang, I had the flu two weeks ago and was missed a week of work. Drink them fluids and get that rest! Roll a fortitude check!
Wiola Copperpence,Halfling Trader, N -- AC 11, 4 hp -- R+1, F+1, W-1 -- str 11, agi 13, sta 14, per 8, int 6, luc 12
Elvelyn Quillback, Scribe, N -- AC 11, 1 hp -- R+1, F-1, W+1 -- str 13, agi 12, sta 7, per 13, int 10, luc 13
Benedict Beatletongue, Beadle, C -- AC 10, 5 hp -- R0, F+1, W0 -- str 14, agi 11, sta 13, per 12, int 11, luc 8
Darryl Pennypinch, Tax Collector, L -- AC 7, 4 hp -- R-3, F+1, W+1 -- str 14, agi 3, sta 13, per13, int 13, luc 11

User avatar
Vort
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 pm
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Vort » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:57 pm

[ooc]Thanks all, fort save made and on the mend today. btw @ManjoBean - I love what you're doing with Quillback and Benedict.[/ooc]

Beadle Bailey Bramford - "Wha--? Wait!" he yelled as he finally clued in to being left behind. He ran up to the three dragging the sword and gingerly tried to grab on somehow without grasping the hilt or cutting himself. "Ah, so this is adventuring is it?" he asked of those carrying the sword with him. "It surely is exciting! Not like life in the old town square, I can tell you, where the most exciting thing that might happen is discovering that old Ms. Mill's laying hen has died and she's off to the market to..." he droned on as they moved.

The Illuminating Ankh - "Why on earth should I want to dip my staff in that?" he asked of Kuruz's offer, wrinkling his nose in disgust. "You want us to actually attract vermin?" he asked completely innocently.

Shifty & Shaky - the two brothers keep low-profile without much to offer.

At the door --

Beadle Bailey Bramford - "My word, just how do you think this sword is going to open this door??" he asked cluelessly, turning towards Darryl. "And doesn't it pull open?"

The Illuminating Ankh, keeping to the back by Sally - "Something approaches?" he asks her. "You there! Have you got that door open yet?" he yells to the front.

Shaky - "I'm willing to wager there's something nasty waiting for us behind that door." He stays towards the back, between the group and Sally.

Shifty - "Fah. Where there's no risk, there's no reward. 'ere! Let us give ya a hand!" and he moves to help pull the door open, if'n there's room for one more."[/b] [STR check: 2, blech!] And he tugs uselessly.
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, staff +1 (1d4+1)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:08 pm

Smythe is easily able to tug the door free- it seems it was just wedged stuck by the settling of the rock.

Beyond the door is a square, tiled room, with the floor canted towards the far wall (away from the door) at a steep angle. The floor of the chamber is strewn with stone rubble and broken tiles. Smythe (and others near the door) feel a noticeable chill from the air escaping the chamber, and can see several unidentifiable sides of meat in various states of decay hanging from hooks in the ceiling.

Four creatures the size of small dogs are in the room. They appear to be moles or gophers of some kind, with long incisors, which snap shut with a clicking sound as they jump to attempt to bite off chunks of the hanging meat. They do not appear to be especially well-fed or healthy, and patches of missing fur reveal grey-green skin underneath which bears an unnatural sheen.

The creatures turn and attack! (INIT roll 13+4=17)
Please roll for initiative, one roll for player (not character). Also please give me your first turn actions for your characters. I'm not doing a battlemap so "nearest mole creature" is sufficient for a target.

/ooc Glad you're feeling better Vort!
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

Post Reply

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”