Dinosaur Crawl Classics

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Dinosaur Crawl Classics

Post by CapnZapp »

http://goodmangames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16176#p16176 wrote:There is an adventure in the works that I think will make you very happy. :)
Is "The Valley Out of Time" what Harley was referring to already back then?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Dinosaur Crawl Classics

Post by GnomeBoy »

Given the topic and when the post was made, the discussion was of an adventure designed for D&D. I doubt Harley was referring to a series of adventures now on the horizon from SGP, which I think has only existed as a publisher for a year or two...

He may have been referring to something that was planned for the 4e era, which then went by the wayside when the direction of things was shifted to developing the DCC RPG.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

I love dinosaurs. I buy the large containers of plastic dinosaurs at Walmart or Toobs of them at Hobby Lobby!

And army men, Civil War, Commandos, Spacemen & Aliens, but I am still missing the classic Cowboys & Indians for the complete "Game Out of Time" experience.
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

GnomeBoy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:41 pm Given the topic and when the post was made, the discussion was of an adventure designed for D&D. I doubt Harley was referring to a series of adventures now on the horizon from SGP, which I think has only existed as a publisher for a year or two...

He may have been referring to something that was planned for the 4e era, which then went by the wayside when the direction of things was shifted to developing the DCC RPG.
Okay, so what you're saying is that you are unaware of any such-themed adventure by Goodman Games, regardless of ruleset? Whatever he was discussing never saw the light of day?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Based on the timing of the post, it was during the era of DCC adventures being written for 4e. At that point, WotC was burning it's license supporters pretty hard. My impression from that time and comments since then is that when the decision to stop building on the license came in favor of developing the DCC RPG, everything was dropped and the new direction taken up as a clean slate.

Given that I can't think of a single adventure from Harley in the DCC RPG era that dips into dinosaurs, my guess is that it was simply dropped. Admittedly, I haven't read all of the existing adventures cover to cover, but based on the context and the comment, it seems like dinosaurs were going to be prominent. If it was something that was already 'in the chute,' it seems more likely it would've been one of the earlier adventures, too.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

Thank you.

While I am sad there is no official lost world / isle of dread / king kong-like official content for DCC, dropping D&D and switching over to a more lite and gonzo ruleset* was by far the best decision you have ever made, so we will chalk this up as the price of progress :)

*) I have looked at those 3rd Edition modules, and man, in hindsight it is awfully clear how much you guys were held back by d20 - not so much by actual rules I suppose but by expectations (=constraints) on what a d20 adventure should and must be... The DCC magic just blooms with your 2013 modules onwards!
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Dinosaurs would have been an epic DCC supplement.

The only thing more epic than that would be one based on Godzilla, King Kong, Rodan, Mothra, etc. called Kaiju Stawmp Classics, set in a Lost World or Kong Island.
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”