Purple Planet Box Set

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: N/A

Purple Planet Box Set

Post by Father Goose »

I love physical books. I put up with pdf copies when that's all I can find, but I vastly prefer physical books I can hold in my hand. In fact, if there are two books of interest and one is available in physical format and the other is pdf, I'll take the physical book 100% of the time.
And box sets... I love box sets even more! I love opening them, reading the books, unfolding the maps, etc. As much as I love physical books, box sets are even better. I am always saddened when a product that was originally a box set is reprinted as a single volume book. To me, it loses some of its magic. And when it goes from being a physical box set to being a pdf... Well, there is nothing more disappointing.
This brings me to the Purple Planet.
I didn't discover DCC until last fall, so I missed the opportunity to take part in a lot of wonderful Kickstarter projects and have had to settle for pdf copies of certain materials. Sadly, this means I missed the boat on the Purple Planet box set.
Yes, I can buy the pdf. I can get all the setting information and the adventures, but it isn't the same. It isn't as satisfying. It isn't the experience that I want.
So my question specifically: what quest(s) do I need to undertake in order to see the Purple Planet box set reprinted in a physical form?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Purple Planet Box Set

Post by GnomeBoy »

The original Kickstarter for the Purple Planet boxed set raised $60,000+ -- maybe just front that or something close to it to GG to re-print the boxed set and I bet they'd go for it!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

GnomeBoy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am The original Kickstarter for the Purple Planet boxed set raised $60,000+ -- maybe just front that or something close to it to GG to re-print the boxed set and I bet they'd go for it!
Oh, so an easy quest then...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Father Goose wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:20 pm
GnomeBoy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am The original Kickstarter for the Purple Planet boxed set raised $60,000+ -- maybe just front that or something close to it to GG to re-print the boxed set and I bet they'd go for it!
Oh, so an easy quest then...
Quest For It is the beating heart of the game.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Feirsteax
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Feirsteax »

There is talk of a hardback printing coming to Indiegogo I think. See the 44:40 mark of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlujxpHVQZk

I agree it's not as good as a boxed set, but at least its better than a PDF!
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:22 pm
Quest For It is the beating heart of the game.
Indeed, hence my phrasing in my post.
On a side note, and I know this has been said by others before, that quote really needs to be a t-shirt.
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

Feirsteax wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:05 pm There is talk of a hardback printing coming to Indiegogo I think. See the 44:40 mark of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlujxpHVQZk

I agree it's not as good as a boxed set, but at least its better than a PDF!
While I do hope to eventually get a true box set, a hardback book would at least be something and much better than a pdf.
Thank you for the link. I'll watch the video when I get some time.
King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Top Tier Boardgames

Post by King of Elfland »

You may not want to hear this, but I just snagged a new Purple Planet Boxed set on Ebay for a not too outrageous price. You should check there regularly, as there are often copies (generally used) for sale. The prices vary greatly however. I had been looking since last summer to find one I'd be willing to buy. When it comes in the mail next week, I'll hand it over to my wife and have her wrap it for me as a Valentine's Day gift....
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Spread Throughout the Skies"---Blue Oyster Cult
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

King of Elfland wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:23 pm You may not want to hear this, but I just snagged a new Purple Planet Boxed set on Ebay for a not too outrageous price. You should check there regularly, as there are often copies (generally used) for sale. The prices vary greatly however. I had been looking since last summer to find one I'd be willing to buy. When it comes in the mail next week, I'll hand it over to my wife and have her wrap it for me as a Valentine's Day gift....
Congratulations to your wife for finding you the perfect gift! And thank you for the useful tip.
King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Top Tier Boardgames

Post by King of Elfland »

Also, they are reprinting it as a hardcover later this year. Had it heard this earlier, I likely would have waited, though my boxed set is in perfect condition.
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Spread Throughout the Skies"---Blue Oyster Cult
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

If you want to sell your box set, let me know.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”