Thoughts on digest reprints...

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Thoughts on digest reprints...

Post by moes1980 »

just want to say that I picked up the most recent digest reprints. First, let me say that the expanded material is really great. The extra detailed location in Sailors Under a Starless Sea is almost big enough to be its own funnel location (maybe about the same number of rooms as in Portal Under the Stars) and includes a great magic item write up that I won't spoil here.

As for Frozen out of Time, its mini campaign supplement is very cool. It presents an over view of the history of the Forlorn North, what the halflings, elves, and dwarves that live there are like, a gazette detailing the major locations, and a list of adventure hooks. It is short but very inspiring, and includes a fantastic hex map that I would love to get a larger image of. The campaign extension alone was worth the 10 bucks in my opinion.

I have not looked much at the new holiday adventure but it appears to be longer than The Dead God's Return (which is referenced in the above mentioned mini-campaign setting).

The reprint of Hall of the Minotaur King was fine, though I was hoping it would have been redone for DCCRPG states instead of kept in the old 3.5 rules. I already own the 3.5 edition so I was hoping for an updated version, similar to what was done with the Tower of the Black Pearl. The only other thing is that it is a little hard to read being in such little print but, I guess that is the trade-off for handy digest size. All in all, they are a great buy and I really, hope a larger image of the map of the forlorn north becomes available as my next DCCRPG game is definitely going to be set there!
Stretch
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Thoughts on digest reprints...

Post by Stretch »

Ok, so here is my problem with stuff like this....I already bought Sailors and Frozen out of time.

Is there going to be a way to get ahold of the new material without having to buy it again?

An update to the pdfs would be great, though I would settle for a small pdf with the material in it for a buck or two.

Any word that either of these are going to be a possibility?
-Stretch
If you survive a crucible you grow the stronger for it. - Arrow.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Stretch wrote:Is there going to be a way to get ahold of the new material without having to buy it again?

An update to the pdfs would be great, though I would settle for a small pdf with the material in it for a buck or two.
I have to echo these questions.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Or could you give us the extras in the Gencon 2015 annual?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
TheWizurd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by TheWizurd »

These updates would be nice, especially for the 0 level funnel mod.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I haven't looked at the digest reprints. Are they the same thing only scaled down to smaller font size? I couldn't handle small font size. :?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I bought the digest reprints to get the new supplemental material. I love the new stuff...really enhances the modules. But instead of doing layout specifically for digest size (like the holiday modules were) they simply shrunk the text and compacted it into digest size. This makes it harder for my old eyes to read. I ended up buying the new "sketch book" covered Sailors at GaryCon because it was full size and had the new material in it too. I have not heard of a plan to issue the supplemental material separately.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

DM Cojo wrote:they simply shrunk the text and compacted it into digest size. This makes it harder for my old eyes to read.
Good information to have, as it makes my decision a lot easier. Supplemental material is nice, but the font size would be a deal-breaker for me. :(

I've tried to read too-small font rulebooks (such as the original Arduin RPG) with a magnifier and it's not worth the bother.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

The supplemental material in Sailors...The Summoning Pits...is quite good. I plan on dropping that on my new group who is halfway through that module now.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i would buy pdf with supplemental material but on the other hand i love and understand collectorish vibe that gg encourages.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I would like to say that I am immune to buying alternate covers to collect, unless there is additional new content...but then my stack of DCC core books with three different covers says otherwise...lol. But the gold foil cover eludes me still.
Shave_Ice
Gongfarmer

Post by Shave_Ice »

I was bit by the DCC bug recently and bought a couple of modules.

The Sailors reprint is too small for me to reasonably read with my reading glasses on. I'd really love to run this adventure for some friends and their kids, but I'll have to get the PDF and print/read on my iPad. Does the pdf on RPGNOW had the supplemental material? I'd sell the digest book and get the pdf if so.

I would like to ask that when you reprint older material this format in the future, please simultaneously release pdfs that can be printed on larger paper. I would pay for the combo. Or redo the layout when you reprint.

Well of the Worm is better, but the font is a bit light and still a bit hard to read at that size.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Shave_Ice wrote: Does the pdf on RPGNOW had the supplemental material? I'd sell the digest book and get the pdf if so.
The PDF is still the 1st printing and does not yet contain the new material.

The best version of Sailors right now is the limited sketch cover version - 2nd print w/ all the new content in its original, non-digest size. $14.99 (and worth it):

http://www.goodman-games.com/5066Kpreview.html#
Shave_Ice
Gongfarmer

Post by Shave_Ice »

Rick wrote:
Shave_Ice wrote: Does the pdf on RPGNOW had the supplemental material? I'd sell the digest book and get the pdf if so.
The PDF is still the 1st printing and does not yet contain the new material.

The best version of Sailors right now is the limited sketch cover version - 2nd print w/ all the new content in its original, non-digest size. $14.99 (and worth it):

http://www.goodman-games.com/5066Kpreview.html#
Thanks Rick.

Maybe once I sell the version I already bought.

I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate the material or the game. I convinced myself that I could somehow read this when at my FLGS. But it really is unreadable and I hope GG thinks carefully before releasing something so hard to read in the future.
Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm struggling to read the new Sailors digest version, too. The print is tiny! I like the idea of digest-sized books (I really like my digest-sized C&C books, for example), but the digest Sailors is too hardcore for me. I'm going to stick with regular-sized DCC modules going forward.
Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Buttmonkey »

Buttmonkey wrote:I'm struggling to read the new Sailors digest version, too. The print is tiny! I like the idea of digest-sized books (I really like my digest-sized C&C books, for example), but the digest Sailors is too hardcore for me. I'm going to stick with regular-sized DCC modules going forward.
I ended up buying the PDF of Sailors. I printed it off at Kinko's and had it spiral bound. Very easy to read and the spiral binding is awesome. It's a little more expensive this way, but I think the end product is much better. My eyes can't handle the digest version.

Oh, and the PDF from RPGNow.com has the Summoning Pits bonus material.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”