Sailors on the Starless Sea Question(SPOILERS)

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Sailors on the Starless Sea Question(SPOILERS)

Post by AQuebman »

If you are one of my players over on the unseen servant or you don't want to know anything about the module please leave now.

Okay my players rather than lighting the menhir or any of that swam out and riled up the leviathan. The text in the module says something about needing a critical to survive but it doesn't really explain much beyond that. Is it intended that if a player crits the beast it will swim off or am I interpreting that incorrectly? One of my players landed a crit in my PbP game and I want to make sure i'm doing this right because frankly lives are very much in the balance.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Sailors on the Starless Sea Question(SPOILERS)

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I think they mean that if a crit has an effect that would save them.......

At least, that's how I've played it. Having replenished in the tower, most players had 4 characters at this point every time I've played the module. As a result, having the CL pick off a few isn't too bad. I've had players fight it off (with heavy attrition) twice now. Usually, that is the point in the module where they level up.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Sailors on the Starless Sea Question(SPOILERS)

Post by AQuebman »

That's how I was leaning but I wasn't for sure. I allowed the player to fore-go the critical hit table and instead use it to free a grabbed companion.

It's interesting how to handle the leviathan when the players aren't sure if they should be fighting it. Since it wants a sacrifice to be appeased if the players don't have a few of the other means to make it happy it becomes a toss up on how it reacts to things. Right now i'm treating it as feeling threatened but they are thinking of lighting the Menhir which would move the boat and I think I might have the creature relax but stop the boat until it has been offered something for it's dismissal.

It's an interesting encounter, can be challenging to finalize how you want to handle some of the scenarios but I think that's part of the fun of running a game.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”