Goodman Games Appendix N entries

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Goodman Games Appendix N entries

Post by darjr »

I've just realized that Goodman Games doesn't have a fiction line for DCC. I now seriously want one. GG should add their own books to Appendix N!

I want to read about Hugh and his parties exploits in novel form! Pretty please?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Goodman Games Appendix N entries

Post by finarvyn »

darjr wrote:I've just realized that Goodman Games doesn't have a fiction line for DCC. I now seriously want one. GG should add their own books to Appendix N!

I want to read about Hugh and his parties exploits in novel form! Pretty please?
A neat idea, but a few things come to mind here.

(1) Most novels about RPGs are (in my opinion) nowhere as cool as what I hope for. None are as good as Howard or Leiber or Moorcock or others from Appendix N.

(2) While Goodman Games has a great staff of module writers and artists, I don't think they have any experienced writers. That could be a problem.

(3) Goodman Games has some neat modules, but no coherent game world for which novels might be written.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

They have the default setting for DCC modules.

There is probably room to print Appendix N books that otherwise wouldn't see print. Maybe revive old classics and be a house for those new AN type novels, maybe not necessarily related to the RPG.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

(2) While Goodman Games has a great staff of module writers and artists, I don't think they have any experienced writers. That could be a problem.
You have such faith in the writers Marv.! (sarcasm)

That is like saying Doug can paint covers…….. but can he do maps? You know the answer , don't sell the writers short.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'm pretty sure multiple DCC authors have published fiction in one format or another.

I'm drawing a blank, but I know one wrote a D&D novel, for what that's worth...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Well if they can write one that feels like a sword & sorcery story and not a long session/campaign report, then so be it. With so many good illustrators it might be a good idea to make an old-school black & white sword & sorcery comic.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Well if they can write one that feels like a sword & sorcery story and not a long session/campaign report, then so be it. With so many good illustrators it might be a good idea to make an old-school black & white sword & sorcery comic.
Thats not entirely impossible with me, but I don't think Joseph has much interest in it currently.
However, that doesn't mean I might not just do it anyway, but with so many other projects in the pipeline it could take a little while… it's not like I haven't spent a season or two thinking about it.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Doug Kovacs wrote:
You have such faith in the writers Marv.! (sarcasm)

That is like saying Doug can paint covers…….. but can he do maps? You know the answer , don't sell the writers short.
I wasn't suggesting a lack of talent, only that as far as I knew none had actually written and sold a fantasy novel. Big difference.
GnomeBoy wrote:I'm pretty sure multiple DCC authors have published fiction in one format or another.

I'm drawing a blank, but I know one wrote a D&D novel, for what that's worth...
News to me. I'll have to search around and see what I come up with. It would be nice to find a Howard or a Leiber "in the rough" waiting to do this for DCC.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:News to me. I'll have to search around and see what I come up with. It would be nice to find a Howard or a Leiber "in the rough" waiting to do this for DCC.
https://www.google.com/search?num=30&bi ... bAi4fiXAyw

http://www.ashlock.org/writing.php
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Harley had a short story appear in "Realms of the Dragons II," a Forgotten Realms anthology of fiction published back in 2005. I've also had fiction published, but not in the fantasy vein.

You never know what we get up to when Joseph's not keeping us busy. :D
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Appendix N”