Thinking about running a con game

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Thinking about running a con game

Post by BanjoJohn »

I've been thinking about running a few games at a convention. Any thoughts on what kind of adventures work best at a con? Are there good pre-made adventures I could run? Should I whip something original up?
Any tips for running a con game?
I was certainly thinking of brining pre-made characters, and having a time-tracker for tracking dungeon turns, and having pre-rolled random encounters/events that happen along the timeline. Anything else to consider?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Thinking about running a con game

Post by GnomeBoy »

Anything with a strong, clear hook works well for a con -- the players can really get moving if they know clearly what they're after, whether it's a rescue, treasure hunt, escape, or whatever, as long as it's clear what they are meant to be doing.

There are plenty of the published modules that are excellent in a convention setting. I could name a bunch, but you may already have favorites that would work, so it's probably better to discus *those* rather than throw you into unknown territory.

I always have pre-gens to hand out, but I'd let someone play a character they already have if they like... I don't use a timer or anything like that, but I do count the number of encounters or scenes in an adventure (set-up being one that's usually not considered an "encounter" per se, but it does take time to get the info that kicks off the adventure), and then I divide by the number of hours for the session, so that I know if we're at or around Enc. X at the end of the first hour, we're more or less on track, etc. I also give some thought during prep to an encounter or two that I could jettison or truncate without losing the thread of the adventure, in case things fall behind. Sometimes just making an 'incidental' foe weaker is enough to shorten the encounter and ensure that we can finish before time runs out. I can't think of a time when I've had to add encounters.

Hmmm, what else...?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

I don't really have any specific modules in mind so any suggestions would be nice. The Convention I'm thinking of won't be until the summer so I have time to thinka bout it.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It's a bit old, but I did put together some thoughts about running convention games.

https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2018 ... games.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:28 pm It's a bit old, but I did put together some thoughts about running convention games.

Good stuff for any game, not just con games! Thank you!
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Bobjester wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:43 am
Raven_Crowking wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:28 pm It's a bit old, but I did put together some thoughts about running convention games.

Good stuff for any game, not just con games! Thank you!
My absolute pleasure!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Judges' Forum”