Dice woes

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Jutang
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Around the table game pub

Dice woes

Post by Jutang »

I have a player actively switching and/or selecting dice at the table for the roll based on if that die rolls high or low. Example, using a high rolling dice for combat then switching, and announcing it, to a low rolling die for luck checks. I see this as basically being similar to intentionally using loaded dice. They are a close friend so I addressed it in person and now its caucusing drama at and away from the table. I always use clear and/or weight tested dice as a Judge or Player to preserve the uncertainty or the rolls.

What are your guys thought on this use of dice at the table?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Dice woes

Post by GnomeBoy »

Does anyone else at the table have an issue with it?

The whole point of getting together to play a game, is to have fun together. If this one person's behavior is reducing everyone else's fun, then they should understand that the right thing to do is stop.

OR: Maybe they'd be up for choosing their dice by rolling a different die... :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

I'm not sure I ever really gave a crap about what dice people were using and why - except for the DCC Tournament sessions, where were were provided a set of dice for everyone at the table to use.

If someone really thinks they have hi and lo dice - hell, even if they do - I'm not sure I believe or care....

...with Gnome's caveat. That is, if other players are upset it might become an issue. Even then, I'd have to review the people with whom I'm playing....
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

So basically, this player wants to "win" at RPGs. Tell you what... if they persist, just tell them they don't need to roll for anything anymore, they just succeed at everything. They always hit, they always do max damage, they always climb that wall, etc. etc.

But it works the other way, too. The monsters always hit them, the monsters always make the save against their effects, the monsters have max hp, etc. etc. etc.

For the rest of the players, you actually play the game. Let them see in real time who is having more fun.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Judges' Forum”