*SPOILERS* - How to Run DCC #80.5, Glipkerio's Gambit?

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

*SPOILERS* - How to Run DCC #80.5, Glipkerio's Gambit?

Post by herecomethejudge »

*SPOILER ALERT - PLAYERS, STOP READING NOW!*

I was looking into running Glipkerio's Gambit for a group of level 2 PCs, but I was put off from doing so by what seemed to be some rather daunting elements. Have others on here run this module as it is written, and how did it go if so, specifically in relation to the following:

-There is an ice bridge over a "chasm" in area 1-4. The text suggests that it can be crossed by one of three methods: a DC 20 STR check (leaping), a DC 15 AGL check (navigating the "perilously thin" bridge), or a DC 10 STR check and two movement actions (climbing the wall across). At best, this represents a 50% chance of falling into the chasm, which, being that it is not a 10' pit but a yawning gap in the earth, I suppose equals instant death. Just working on sheer statistics, 50% or more of the party is likely to die right here, and there's no other way up the mountain. I can't do that to my players for no reason.

-In area 2, the only way to reach the Temple of Destiny is by climbing the Staircase of Fate, which is also pictured on a Player Handout. Only certain stairs can be stepped on, or the entire thing collapses, sending PCs sliding and potentially causing damage from traps. The thing is, the clue that supposedly unlocks the secret of this thing seems to be to be extraordinarily unlikely to be deciphered IMO. How long did it take your players to get this, or did they? It seems like, plus the DC 10 AGL check even to hop from stair to stair even if they do figure it out, this would take hours of really tedious dice-rolling and would bog down the session.

Thanks!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: *SPOILERS* - How to Run DCC #80.5, Glipkerio's Gambit?

Post by GnomeBoy »

herecomethejudge wrote:-There is an ice bridge over a "chasm" in area 1-4. The text suggests that it can be crossed by one of three methods: a DC 20 STR check (leaping), a DC 15 AGL check (navigating the "perilously thin" bridge), or a DC 10 STR check and two movement actions (climbing the wall across). At best, this represents a 50% chance of falling into the chasm, which, being that it is not a 10' pit but a yawning gap in the earth, I suppose equals instant death. Just working on sheer statistics, 50% or more of the party is likely to die right here, and there's no other way up the mountain. I can't do that to my players for no reason.
I haven't run it, but you're leaving out the possibility of something like using rope to avoid an endless fall to the other side of the planet. Players can sometimes be counted on for thinking ahead, though YMMV. :wink:

All things being equal, making a DC 10 Strength check is the easiest (one roll for which you can burn Luck, if needed). Adding in some kind of precautions on the part of the players (rope or magic or other clever player ideas) and it doesn't sound that difficult. Once one character is across, the rest could certainly have an easier time as they can assist each other -- for example, secure the rope on each side, along the wall, and now you can use it as a foot hold when the rock doesn't provide a good one, maybe taking the DC for the check down by a few points.

if the stairs seem too tricky, pointedly tell them that they remember the words of The Fates regarding the number 7, so they know they need that in mind. That's the only thing that triggers a threat. Other than that, trial and error can get them there, since the runes glow for as long as they do it right and go out if they step on the wrong step.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by herecomethejudge »

You're right about the chasm. I guess I got really absorbed in the text and, because it didn't mention anything about the rope down-modifying the risk, I didn't think of it. I'm still thinking the stair puzzle is too hard, but I'll report back after running it with details on how it went down.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Just remember to allow any reasonable plan the players might come up with to modify, or even remove, the risk.

Whenever your players get all cocky and say "I bet you weren't expecting that!" you know you have done something right!

The best part? So have they!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Judges' Forum”