[Setting/World/WIP] The Wilderness of Corindal - A Sandbox

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Lothric of Corindal
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Comic Combo

[Setting/World/WIP] The Wilderness of Corindal - A Sandbox

Post by Lothric of Corindal »

Hi fellow Judges,

I am trying to create my setting/gameworld from scratch and though it may be interesting for some of you to see how I work on it. Hopefully some will find this entertaining or inspiring.
As always I will start from doing a proper map. I love maps. I have attached my mapnotes as an attachedment.
Attachments
Here are my first notes on Corindal Wilderness.
Here are my first notes on Corindal Wilderness.
Corindal_Notes.jpg (249.79 KiB) Viewed 16884 times
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: [Setting/World/WIP] The Wilderness of Corindal - A Sandb

Post by finarvyn »

Say ... that's a nifty map! I can't wait to see how this campaign world develops! :D

One thing I particularly like is that you have interesting place-names which I could fill in details for if I used the map for my own sessions. Reminds me of the old Judges Guild WILDERLANDS setting, which was full of names that could create potential encounters.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Very nice!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Lothric of Corindal
Ill-Fated Peasant

@finarvyn: Yes the olde Wilderlands are an inspiration for sure. But I also taken influence by Dune, Dark Sun, Dark Tower and other grim dark settings like those of the Dark Souls Game series.

I am going to paint the Map fully to start develloping the setting.

What I liked about Dark Souls and Bloodborne is that tje players are piecing together the backstory by scraps of texts sparsely found. So with Corindal as well the world has withered to a corpse like state. The city of Dimlight with its monumental lighttower is barely more than a ruin compared to the glory of olde ages of the Judgement Kings. They have once again risen from their graves and destroyed the realms of mortal ursurpers.

Now Dimlight is the last fort of humanity remaiming in a world of ash and ruin.
The players are a band of desperate scoundrels trying to make a fortune in this desolated place. Greed and spite still rule a many men's hearts and their souls are seeking to rise above each other relentlessly.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I dig that map. Thanks for sharing -- looking forward to more...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Lothric of Corindal
Ill-Fated Peasant

This is a sketch of the Dimlight city region. Actually its the only more or less functional settlement in this part of the Wilderness. It was once a wealthy tradeport famous for its sacred Necropolis and therefore aim for many loreseekers. Nowadays the citizens barely set food outside the wallas and the guards are protecting fortified farmland in the surrounding area.

Its here where several Funneladventures can take place:

A Plague of Frogs: The Sewersystem of the City getting more and more plagued by strange and aggressive frog creatures. They poison the watersuply of the city and need to be get rid of. But the nest is already much larger and dangerous than expected. Entries to the "Undercity" Dungeon can be found here.

The Cave of Howling Shades: Farmers have been kipnapped by shrouded tall creatures. The guards are barely enough to keep the farmers save from wild animals, so someone needs to check out those hidious caves beside the cliffs of Dimlight. Old carved warnings tell something about an ancient chained creature which casts a many shadows. Connected to the Sewers.

The Kobold camp: Outside of Dimlight's Walls are more and more kobolds gathering in the past decades. Used as cheap laborer by the farmers and citizens alike, they now demand a place of their own to settledown. The Hight-Magistrate of Dimlight granted this to keep the peace, but why are they keep digging holes there more than building up their huts? Greedy Guards tried to spy on them and never made it back and rumors start to spread. Whats realy going on?
(Introduction Funnel which explore some of the Dimlight factions in more details)

The Heart of the Darkwood: Something foul has taken residence in the nearby Darkroot forest. Woodcutter and Hunter getting attacked by wooden creaures, yet the yound lord Horace is anouncing a bounty on a fabled silver stag which is rumored to been seen in the woods. Who will be the prey and who the hunter?

The Burned Village: Denul, a central farming Village has been pillaged and burned to the ground by raiders, who came from the sea. The Temple of the Hunting Lord was defiled with the piled up dead druids. The guards came too late and couldnt save a soul. Yet the butchered corpses of the raiders where found not long after this. And something devoured their hearts from their ripped open chests. Now strange noises are hounting nearby villages in their sleep and wanderers found slain at the roadside.

Level 1-3 Adventures:

Lorgan's Seclusium: Some have seen from afar how parts of the old mages tower collapsed under a magic burst. After a week without no lifesign of the crazy old sage, the villagers and citizens are seeking out Lorgan's rumored treasures. But the Island is not abandoned yet. And whatever killed the old mage is still lurking there, waiting for a way to escape the island.

The Palestone Tower: A top a hill is one of the old Watchtowers. Its been out of used for a long time but the Kobolds have seen a sage starting to dig up old tombs near the tower, while taking residence there. Not long after that, misshapen undead creatures where spotted in the area. It seems that those graves where more occupied than anyone could have expected now awaken again.

Lurewick Village: Something big was swept at the shores of Lurewick now rotting unter the bright sun. But its also given birth to strange parasites infesting the villagers and cousing a plague to spread.

The Crimson Shipwrecks: After a storm, foreign ships have stranded at the coasts of Dimlight. Ravaged beyond repair, it was a wonder how they could reached the coasts at all. Villagers who were brave enough to check on them found them filled to the top with twisted and deformed bones of large humanoids. But they are not fully dead yet.
Attachments
First Region
First Region
Dimlight-Region.jpg (195.27 KiB) Viewed 16859 times
Lothric of Corindal
Ill-Fated Peasant

Just looked through Purple Planet and am very motivated to get the Dimlight Region working out as the initial area for Corindal. Its rather small but offers a lot of place still to set up a whole region specific campaign. But I will try to keep the single adventures as easy to use and insert in other settings as much as possible.

Do my adventure hooks sounding interesting at all or are they too much clichee ridden?
I am thankfull for any feedback.
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Game Kastle

Post by Max_The_Judge »

Sweet maps!

Return to “Judges' Forum”