Character funnel survived, now what?

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MCAD
Ill-Fated Peasant

Character funnel survived, now what?

Post by MCAD »

My players recently completed Portal under the Stars, and had 3 survivors after the second attempt.
These 3 have leveled up, and we now have a Fighter, Thief and a Wizard, split among two players ( ie one player has 2 of the PCs).
This is still not enough for a party in DCC, as I am learning, so I have allowed some more 0 level PCs to be generated, til each player has 6 pcs in total.
I imagine the 1 level pcs have gathered some hangers on/ henchmen to accompany them on the next adventure. Any deaths can be replaced by o Lvls as required.

Is this what others have done? Or does the 3 classed pcs set out by themselves like a regular DnD party? Do they sit and wait for another group of funnel survivors to build up to party size recommended in the first lvl modules? Other methods?

Help!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Character funnel survived, now what?

Post by Ravenheart87 »

MCAD wrote:Is this what others have done? Or does the 3 classed pcs set out by themselves like a regular DnD party? Do they sit and wait for another group of funnel survivors to build up to party size recommended in the first lvl modules? Other methods?

Help!
I'm running a sandbox campaign, so level is not an issue. If they run into something higher level, then so be it.

All of my players have 4 active characters and they play with usually 2-3 during a session. All new characters start from zero level, until the player reaches a milestone: having four 1st level characters means you can start on 1st level with new characters. Having some zeroes is not different from taking hirelings with you on an adventure. Where the reinforcement comes from? There are always a few new faces in the Thirsty Beard tavern.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
MadMoses
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by MadMoses »

In your situation, with only 2 players, I think it's a good idea to play another funnel to get the party to a good size if you want to use the official modules.
Dead Cyclops is my blog with DCC and old-school RPG stuff at http://deadcyclops.blogspot.com
DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DM Marcus »

In the big book, there is some useful information about hirelings and followers on page 310.

Also, in Crawl Fanzine #1 there is a neat article about some things you can do with non-optimized parties. Gives you some ideas about healing and other things you might do if you don't have all of the core party pieces covered.

Return to “Judges' Forum”