Gongfarmer's Almanac 2015, Hidden Volume 6: Virtual Funnel report

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Feirsteax
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Gongfarmer's Almanac 2015, Hidden Volume 6: Virtual Funnel report

Post by Feirsteax »

I thought it would be fun to post this just to share my experience using the GFA 2015's Virtual Funnel idea, since I had some fun with it and wanted to share with those who may not have heard of it or who may have forgotten about it in the years since passed. :D

First, a little background on it:
https://gongfarmersalmanac.com/downloads/gfa-2015/

This is the 2015 edition of the Gongfarmer's Almanac, a fan-created zine full of all sorts of goodies. I am only new to DCC but digging into the back catalogue of community creations like these has been so fun!
The bit I wanted to point out was the secret 6th Volume hidden at the end of the 2015 pdf, after the credits. There was so much content created that they had enough to fill another volume with a bunch of cool stuff.

One of those things was the Virtual Funnel, and I just wanted to share two virtually-funneled characters who are ready to level up that I created over the course of about an hour there where I couldn't get to sleep and decided I needed to roll a few dice...

Human Goliard (some kind of medieval poet?)
Str 4, Agi 9, Sta 8, 9 Per, 11 Int, 3 Luck (Had to burn a LOT of luck to get this guy to survive :lol:)
XP: 11, HP: 3
Rewards:
+ Impermanent magic item (shoved their arm into a mysterious bowl of goo and found...)
Losses:
- 11 starting gold (thrown away to escape a flock of murderous magpies)

Human Smuggler
Str 11, Agi 7, 11 Sta, 11 Per, 13 Int, 8 Luck
XP: 11, HP: 3
Rewards:
+ Bludgeoning weapon (found in the remains of a caveslime)
+ Impermanent magic item (snatched the artefact off the sorcerer's pedastel)
+ Random 1st level spell (broke the sorcerer's curse)
Losses:
- None!

Along the way, two characters died (thankfully you retain their gained XP, otherwise you'd never make it out alive):
Human Chimney Sweep - eyes gouged out
Halfling Ferryman - eaten by a grue

Note the flavour text I threw in for each reward / loss is just made up by me, the pdf gives you some examples but you are ultimately left to make stuff up yourself (if you want).
I also used the Alternate Occupations tables for these guys too, hence the different occupations.

Feel free to share your own virtual zeroes if anyone else has messed around with this.

Cheers!
Feir
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Gongfarmer's Almanac 2015, Hidden Volume 6: Virtual Funnel report

Post by GnomeBoy »

Very cool -- I may just have to dig that out and mess around with it! I probably haven't looked at that article since 2015!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: N/A

Post by Father Goose »

That's awesome! I read the Virtual Funnel (I too am exploring the back catalog), but haven't used it yet. Now I want to give it a try.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Sooooooo much content here! I have the PDF, but I really want a printed copy of these volumes (separately) to better handle all the page flipping. :)
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Return to “Characters”