Building out Yddgrrl the World Root as a Patron

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Post Reply
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:19 pm
FLGS: Tabletop

Building out Yddgrrl the World Root as a Patron

Post by Scottius » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:10 pm

Wasn't sure if this would be better in the Magic or Judges sections. Decided to go with Magic since it involves Patrons.

So in my ongoing DCC game the party's wizard wound up throwing in her lot with Yddgrrl for a patron. Since that is one of the patrons who is only partially fleshed out I've been trying to build up the other things a good patron should have. (Patron Taint, Spellburn, & Patron Spells)

So far I've got a first draft of a Patron Taint table. I wanted to bounce it off the community. Feel free to suggest alterations, adjustments, or additions. In my campaign world I combined the info from the Yddgrrl write up with Yggdrasil from Norse mythology so I've added an element of the tree's roots & branches touching various other planes.

Patron Taint:
1: Casting any spell produces a layer of dew to appear over every surface within 20’ of the caster. Rolling this result a second time causes plant growth around the caster within a 25’ radius whenever they cast a spell. Existing plants see a sudden surge of growth and grass, weeds, moss, & vines sprout where there is no existing foliage. If the result is rolled a third time then this aura of plant growth follows the caster constantly, their mere presence resulting in plants growing within 10’ of them wherever they go.
2: The caster becomes uncomfortable in the presence of any fire greater than that of a candle or other common light source. Rolling this result a second time increases this discomfort to the point where the caster will not willingly create or tolerate any fire in their immediate presence (within 10’). To start a fire the caster must overcome a DC 10 Will save and they experience a -1 Penalty to all spell casting checks while within 10’ of a source of flame. Rolling this result a third time, the caster experiences a physical weakness to fire, taking double damage from any flaming attack.
3: Casting any spell results in a 15% chance that a light cloud of fog appears around the caster within a 20’ radius. It is too transparent to cause any adverse effect on sight. If this result is rolled a second time, then any time a spell is cast there is a 35% chance of clouds appearing above the caster within a 20’ range (even if indoors or underground) and a light rain begins to fall. If this result is rolled a third time, then whenever a spell is cast there is a 50% chance that storm clouds appear above the caster within a 40’ radius resulting in a downpour which douses any uncovered fires in the area.
4: The caster begins to experience a transformation making them more akin to their Patron’s true nature. The caster’s veins are visible, turning a greenish hue as their blood takes on the form of sap. If this result is rolled a second time the caster’s hair transforms into a similar shaped mass of green leaves. If the result is rolled a third time, then the caster’s skin takes on the texture of dark brown bark.
5: The caster grows lethargic, only moving when necessary. If this result is rolled a second time then this feeling increases to the point that their speed is reduced by 5’. If this result is rolled a third time, then the caster finds themselves literally taking root any round in which they take no movement. This renders them incapable of being knocked over or pushed back from that spot against their will until they move and thus uproot themselves.
6: The caster begins to see glimpses of other worlds connected by Yddgrrl’s mighty roots in the corner of their vision and just out of sight. If the result is rolled a second time, they become aware of the myriad other planes existing around them, seeing glimpses into these other realities at random. The distraction of which causes them a -1 penalty to their Personality attribute. If the result is rolled a third time the caster’s mind is increasingly preoccupied with the existence of the multiverse rather than the mundane world around them. They have a far off look perpetually in their eyes and upon close inspection their pupils seem to glimmer with the winking lights of stars. This results in an additional -1 to their Personality attribute.

I'd also be interested in hearing ideas for the Spellburn & Patron Spells for this particularly verdant patron. So far I've been thinking of some kind of binding root spell for one of the options.

User avatar
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 6:24 pm
FLGS: Davis Cards and Games

Re: Building out Yddgrrl the World Root as a Patron

Post by MuscleWizard_716 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Some sort of a crowd-control "rooting" spell which can, in order of ascending effect: reduce movement, inflict squeezing damage, immobilize enemies, ground fliers, etc. would make a good 1st level patron spell.

User avatar
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2990
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Re: Building out Yddgrrl the World Root as a Patron

Post by Raven_Crowking » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:09 am

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Post Reply

Return to “Magic and Spells”