Darkness spell and Infravision

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Banesfinger
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Darkness spell and Infravision

Post by Banesfinger »

Does the cleric spell "Darkness" blind a person with Infravision (e.g. a dwarf)?
The description just says "...extinguishes the light of the sun..."
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Darkness spell and Infravision

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Two things are said that suggest to me that infravision is blinded by darkness (the spell).

The first: "Creatures within are blinded."

It doesn't specify that some are and others aren't, so I take that to mean all creatures that are not normally blind are made blind by darkness.

The second: In all of the descriptions of the spell, only the higher casting rolls even mention the caster being able to see through it - so if infravision was all it took to see through darkness, I figure it would have been mentioned at earlier levels of the spell that a caster with infravision could see through it.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

my guess, and it only is a guess, is that it blocks out all wavelengths of light. We can't be certain without the proper equipment and a sorcerer to cast the magic. Tests, we need tests!

Has anyone cast this in game and seen what happened to the infravision capable?
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

Ultimately, it works the way you want it to work, right?

But I think the intent is to create darkness for everyone. Otherwise it's usefulness is reduced significantly and it would be inconsistant with the way this spell has worked in every other version of the D&D system throughout the last 4 decades.

Return to “Magic and Spells”