Laboratory Magic

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

harshec
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Gametime Hobbies

Laboratory Magic

Post by harshec »

I've recently cooked up the following rules for "Laboratory Magic"; kind of my twist on "ritualized magic" focused on the creation of magic items by alchemist-type characters. My rules are definitely more "dice crunchy" than the basic "roll a d20" action, so it may not appeal to everyone. Anyway, for those interested, feel free to take a look:

http://www.ericharshbarger.org/dccrpg/l ... _magic.pdf

I should also state that I *just* whipped these rules up in the past week and have not even had a time to use them with my campaign/players, so if there is some egregeous flaw to them, or they end up being completely unbalanced, I apologize.

Comments, suggestions, and tweaks are welcome.

Enjoy,

ECH
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Laboratory Magic

Post by serendipitous »

Reading it now. First thought: thanks for alternating pronoun gender in your text. Great rejoicing!!!
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Laboratory Magic

Post by serendipitous »

harshec wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:25 am I've recently cooked up the following rules for "Laboratory Magic"; kind of my twist on "ritualized magic" focused on the creation of magic items by alchemist-type characters. My rules are definitely more "dice crunchy" than the basic "roll a d20" action, so it may not appeal to everyone.

I should also state that I *just* whipped these rules up in the past week and have not even had a time to use them with my campaign/players, so if there is some egregeous flaw to them, or they end up being completely unbalanced, I apologize.
First, thanks for sharing!

I myself am loving the crunch of this, AND it would play really nicely with my current campaign in which all "magic" is tech-based. Would be very natural to have requirements for information + physical stuff to build the necessary tech. Cool.

Question: how are you seeing the re-rolls playing out at the table? Do you think you'll come up with a mechanism to shortcut it? ie, one could just give a blanket die roll for failure (you'd have to calculate the odds) and maybe add a bonus to account for the lack of "1"s if a player passes the roll.

But who's gonna want to run the numbers like that? It might save time but adds crunch.

I'm just thinking that in our Zoom games the rolls themselves, as in the mechanics you propose, could be tedious. But I suppose most of the time goes to setting the roll up so the process may be quick, and one could do it during administrative time. Maybe have the player do it offline. Anyhow, I'll try to set this up for my wizard. He might get a kick out of it, and I can Report Back. :)
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM

Return to “Rules discussion”