Throwing a ball of force (Force Manipulation spell)

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

UniversalHead
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Throwing a ball of force (Force Manipulation spell)

Post by UniversalHead »

The 12-13 result for the Force Manipulation spell results in 'the caster creates an apple-sized sphere of force that can be hurled as a weapon'.

Does that mean the caster has to roll to hit like a normal ranged attack?
Mat Mobile
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: L'abyss

Re: Throwing a ball of force (Force Manipulation spell)

Post by Mat Mobile »

I would say it depends how you interpret the spell:

1 - It's a ball and you have to throw it "manually" so you have to do a additional missile check (Agility).

2 - It's a ball of force that the wizard created and has full control. Therefore, it will hit whatever (within reason) he wants it to hit.

I would personally favor #2. Wizards already have it rough with hit points and fighting capabilities. I also like to encourage creative ideas so maybe throwing that ball might be on a lever, a trap trigger or whatever.

If it comes to a point where the opponent is, for example, a super fast enemy or an invisible one or whatever. I might ask for another magical check (Intelligence) or missile check (Agility).
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I actually rule it the other way, that you have to throw it with an attack roll.

Because you can hurl it, but you don't have to hurl it, you could do something else with it (like, use it to stop a door from completely closing or something). If you could somehow "telekinetically" make it fly unerringly to a target to hit them, then presumably you could otherwise telekinetically move it around for other purposes, and it don't say that, do it?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Mat Mobile
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: L'abyss

Post by Mat Mobile »

GnomeBoy wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:31 am I actually rule it the other way, that you have to throw it with an attack roll.

Because you can hurl it, but you don't have to hurl it, you could do something else with it (like, use it to stop a door from completely closing or something). If you could somehow "telekinetically" make it fly unerringly to a target to hit them, then presumably you could otherwise telekinetically move it around for other purposes, and it don't say that, do it?
I like what you're saying. Makes sense. You convinced me Gnome Boy.

But like I said, Force Manipulation is one of those spells that's can be used in lots of creative ways which might mean some negotiation between player and Judge. And you can be sure that if you allow the player to do it one way once, he'll probably repeat it at another session. So make sure you're confortable with your decision.

I still think I might skip the extra roll if it's a one shot with new players just to encourage creativity. I know... I'm too nice. :lol:
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Mat Mobile wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:55 am I still think I might skip the extra roll if it's a one shot with new players just to encourage creativity. I know... I'm too nice. :lol:
Oh, a one-shot is muchly a different animal... I once had someone in a one-shot spout off a rule about lost spells so convincingly I just went with it, even though it didn't sound right to me. I hate stopping to look up some rule, and would rather go with it, than confirm it.* Turned out it must've been a house-rule the guy was just completely used to using, because there was no such thing in the book. What you're saying makes total sense for a one-shot.

* I do look up crits and stuff like that, mostly because I have them bookmarked. But I"m not going to stop the game to search for something...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
UniversalHead
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by UniversalHead »

Yeah, I went for the ranged attack roll for the reasons you mention GnomeBoy. Good to run it by some other people though, cheers.

Return to “Rules discussion”