Adding luck to thieves and halflings?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Annoch
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Dont have one...

Adding luck to thieves and halflings?

Post by Annoch »

So, the rulebook states (p361) that luck is a normal reward/punishment for doing great/terrible deeds and roleplaying in/out of your alignment, etc. That seems very reasonable to me, but how does it work with thieves and halflings?

So, obviously thieves and halflings get their luck back over time after they burn it, unlike other classes. How does this luck adding mechanic mesh with that?

For the other classes it makes sense to give them a way to recover luck they have burned by doing good things, but the thieves and halflings are going to get it back anyways.... Lets say I have a halfling who rolled well and has 16 luck, if he roleplays well would he get two or more added to that total bringing him to 18+ over the next couple of adventures? It would seem that this could get out of hand pretty quickly for thieves and halflings, unless I am missing something...

Thank you!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Adding luck to thieves and halflings?

Post by GnomeBoy »

Thieves and Halflings should be burning Luck during play as a regular thing.

Luck awards simply add to your current score, for all Classes.

Luck awards are going to generally bring Thieves and Halfings back toward their base total (faster than 'healing' it back as per Class rules).

If they should happen to burn less in an adventure than they are awarded at the end of the adventure, that would boost their baseline.

So if your example Halfling has a score of 16, and doesn't burn any during an adventure, and everyone gets 2 Luck at the end of the adventure, the Halfling's new baseline is 18. If they had burned 3 during the adventure, they'd be at 15 with the award, and need to wait overnight to heal back to their 16 total.

My personal approach is that 3-18 is the range of Ability Scores, based on that that's how it's presented in the front of the book. So if they get to an 18 Luck, they've maxed it out (baring supernatural intervention) and they can't gain more than that by Luck awards.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
jblittlefield
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Cape Fear Gaming

Re: Adding luck to thieves and halflings?

Post by jblittlefield »

GnomeBoy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:39 am [SNIP]
My personal approach is that 3-18 is the range of Ability Scores, based on that that's how it's presented in the front of the book. So if they get to an 18 Luck, they've maxed it out (baring supernatural intervention) and they can't gain more than that by Luck awards.
My take as well for the first entry on Table 7-9 ... the remaining entries I consider to be permanent shifts to "normal" Luck.

Return to “Rules discussion”