Random encounters?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mAc Chaos
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Showcase Comics

Random encounters?

Post by mAc Chaos »

I noticed some of the adventures call for rolling for random encounters -- but I don't remember ever seeing rules on how you do that. Do you roll a d20? What number does a random encounter trigger off of?

Are there general rules for this or is it supposed to just be figured out ad hoc by the GM?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Random encounters?

Post by GnomeBoy »

My personal to-go for that is just use them as needed. If the PCs get too complacent or rely to assuredly on being able to rest*, I might throw something in from the 'random' list. Sometimes I might just set some odds in my head on the spot, and roll a die, but the die and the odds depend on how things are going, not a fixed schedule.

The intent of the game, I believe, is to use whatever method you prefer to resolve that. DCC assumes you've played other games, and have favorite ways of doing things -- which admittedly is not always the case. For some folks DCC is their first game!

--------------
* Sometimes being able to rest is fine. I wouldn't do that all of the time, because that doesn't allow the game to breathe...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
mAc Chaos
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Showcase Comics

Post by mAc Chaos »

Ah, I kind of guessed that that was the intent, but wasn't sure because it wasn't spelled out anywhere. I've been using the D&D 5e way of doing it, which is rolling a d20 every "turn" and triggering a random encounter on a 19-20, possibly some lower number if the danger is higher. But there may be better ways of doing it.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

I guess if it's not really laid out as a specific suggestion in the adventure, you could do it any way you like.

I keep a cummulative chance for random encounters each time I roll. So like.. first random encounter check, I roll d6 and on a 6 one happens, then on second check, I roll d6 and it happens on 5-6, then on a 4-6 next roll, etc. If a random encounter does happen, I reset back to 6 for the next check.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Since 1978, these have been my go-to methods. First from B1...
b1_wandering_monsters.png
b1_wandering_monsters.png (110.03 KiB) Viewed 23583 times
...then from the DMG...
overland_random_encounters_30.png
overland_random_encounters_30.png (58.79 KiB) Viewed 23583 times
jblittlefield
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Cape Fear Gaming

Post by jblittlefield »

BanjoJohn wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:58 am I guess if it's not really laid out as a specific suggestion in the adventure, you could do it any way you like.

I keep a cumulative chance for random encounters each time I roll. So like.. first random encounter check, I roll d6 and on a 6 one happens, then on second check, I roll d6 and it happens on 5-6, then on a 4-6 next roll, etc. If a random encounter does happen, I reset back to 6 for the next check.
Pretty much how I handle things as well ... when writing my own adventures I simply create random encounter charts for specific areas as needed. Same goes for when the characters are running around the sandbox as well.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I usually roll a d6 every turn or hex. By default 6 means there is an encounter, but in more populated or dangerous areas 5-6, or even 4-6 might yield a roll on the random encounter tables. I was considering writing up encounter tables that merge the frequency and the random encounter entries in a single chart, but ended up not wasting time on it.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “Rules discussion”