Do Elves add their Luck mod to mercurial magic?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MuscleWizard_716
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Davis Cards and Games

Do Elves add their Luck mod to mercurial magic?

Post by MuscleWizard_716 »

So, the default rule at my table seems to have been that elves do, in fact, add their Luck mod to this roll. Based on the rules, however, it is quite unclear, and on balance, I'd say it appears that only wizards add their mod to this roll. At no point in the text for the elf class does it say that elves add their Luck mod to the roll, and it specifically says that wizards do in the write-up for the wizard class on pg 49.

But the part about wizards adding their Luck mod to mercurial magic rolls also appears in the general text about mercurial magic on pg 110 (at least of my edition), and this text is generally descriptive of how elves use magic, as well. So, kind of a puzzle. My take is that specific trumps general, and that the classes are balanced with this as a wizard-only Luck perk intentionally (also worth noting: it can be negative...the text doesn't say wizards may add their Luck mod to the role; it says they do).

Anyway, just my opinion, and I think it's a close enough question that I'd like to hear the thoughts of you all.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Re: Do Elves add their Luck mod to mercurial magic?

Post by BanjoJohn »

I would say that this is one of the things that makes a Wizard different from an Elf so that there isn't too much overlap.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Do Elves add their Luck mod to mercurial magic?

Post by GnomeBoy »

IMO, what is says for Wizards generally applies to Elves.

But also IMO, there are contradictory or unclear bits on purpose, so you can think about what you're doing and not just slavishly follow the Rules As Writ.

So you're absolutely right to say Elves don't get that adjustment, because they are in some ways different to Wizards.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”