Variant Rules: Skill Dice by Occupation - Chart

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

TithianKing
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Variant Rules: Skill Dice by Occupation - Chart

Post by TithianKing »

Hi all, I wanted to share something I am working on.

I've been wanting to flesh out the skills system for DCC RPG. Not to be too over-prescriptive, but I've wanted to better implement the dice chain into skill rolls. I like dice, and I like to mix them up, which is one of the reasons I was drawn to this system in the first place, but I always thought that DCC RPG relied too much on the D20 (for skilled actions) and D10 (for unskilled actions). I want skill rolls to take advantage of the range of dice in-between them (the D12, D14, D16 and D18).

And so I created the attached chart*, which lists what I felt were some of the most common skill checks that come up in fantasy RPGs down the left-hand column, against the Occupational Backgrounds from the core rulebook (across horizontally), and going down the columns I gave each Occupation a standard die for each skill.

An occupation which is strongly associated with a specific skill will get a D20 (expertise), and where the Occupation has nothing at all to do with the skill, I gave it a D10 (unskilled). But where I felt the Occupation falls somewhere in between the two, I inputted another die: D12 (slightly skilled), D14 (reasonably skilled), D16 (skilled) and D18 (very skilled) . I tried to give each Occupation some range and variation. You can probably poke holes in my logic, and there are probably contradictory values between different occupations, but I erred toward the rule of cool.

Do have a look at what I did and let me know what you think. If this is a popular idea, I might even expand it into some kind of publication.

*Note: the forum won't like me attach the document. I guess its too big. So I have uploaded and hosted it at the link below:

https://www.docdroid.net/SXpNLKT/dcc-rp ... pdf#page=2
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Variant Rules: Skill Dice by Occupation - Chart

Post by Ravenheart87 »

While I wouldn't use an exact skill list with DCC RPG (I consider the occupations equivalents of skills), this is nevertheless one impressive and cool list and rule. Do you have a description for your skill stoo?
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Is P the letter for Cleric??
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Post by BaophraT »

Quite a job ! I like the idea of using the dice chain more, but when I master, I make skill rolls by feel, which also allows players to argue against their background. I also see that you use the d18, a die that is not required in the basic rules. Still, this list will probably be of interest to some judges, especially those whose players like to have a rigorous framework.
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
TithianKing
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by TithianKing »

GnomeBoy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:44 am Is P the letter for Cleric??
Yeah, sorry. When I was typing up the list I had in mind "Priest" rather than "Cleric". I think at one point I actually had "C" instead of "P" and convinced myself it was the other way around.
TithianKing
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by TithianKing »

baophrat wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:01 pm Quite a job ! I like the idea of using the dice chain more, but when I master, I make skill rolls by feel, which also allows players to argue against their background. I also see that you use the d18, a die that is not required in the basic rules. Still, this list will probably be of interest to some judges, especially those whose players like to have a rigorous framework.
I don't consider these dice set in stone. Smart play would increase the die to a higher die in the chain. Just as other circumstances or errors could lower the die in the chain. This chart functions more as a baseline for my reference. Sometimes I cannot shake the feeling that I am cheating when I make rulings off the cuff, like its too arbitrary, and like to have some constant value to refer to.

I highly recommend adding the d18 to your dice chain. It's a good die. I only discovered it exists recently. The Dice Shop online has d18s, d22s, d24s, d26s and d28s, all of which I include in my chain. I dont think these dice existed when GG wrote DCC RPG or surely they would have been included from the concept stage. I like having that smooth progression of dice. I am less inclined to use the odd-numbered dice (which they also sell). I try to avoid adding modifiers to my rolls when I can step the die.

If you can't source a d18 and you want to use my chart, I would recommend replacing with the D20. D16 feels like a big step down.
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Post by BaophraT »

Of course, I'm also open to all kinds of modifications to the basic rules of DCC, which seems to me to encourage this kind of initiatives, so no criticism from me (I was only noting the absence of the d18 in the basic set). And this d16, I like it but it rolls, it rolls, it likes to keep the suspense going !
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

TithianKing wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:01 pm
Yeah, sorry. When I was typing up the list I had in mind "Priest" rather than "Cleric". I think at one point I actually had "C" instead of "P" and convinced myself it was the other way around.
At first, I was pitched into thinking there were non-core Classes included, like maybe Paladin or something... :mrgreen:

FWIW, I love the progression of the core Dice Chain -- single point steps at the low end, then going up to 2-point steps, then 4-point steps, and then a final 6-point step. Going from a d24 to a d26 isn't nearly as exciting, tbh. I've certainly never regretted the effects of moving along the Dice Chain as it is, neither as a player nor Judge.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

TithianKing
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by TithianKing »

GnomeBoy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:15 am
TithianKing wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:01 pm
At first, I was pitched into thinking there were non-core Classes included, like maybe Paladin or something... :mrgreen:

FWIW, I love the progression of the core Dice Chain -- single point steps at the low end, then going up to 2-point steps, then 4-point steps, and then a final 6-point step. Going from a d24 to a d26 isn't nearly as exciting, tbh. I've certainly never regretted the effects of moving along the Dice Chain as it is, neither as a player nor Judge.
Fair enough.

My preference is to ditch pluses and minuses wherever possible and leave it to the dice of the Three Fates to decide. Anywhere in the rules where it says -2 to hit (for instance firing into combat) I would rather step down the dice chain. And vice versa for +2 to hit.

Using funky dice and the dice chain is a big attraction for DCC RPG for me, and it's a key differentiator. The practice of adding bonuses and adjustments to your roll just feel so D&D / Pathfinder-y to me and it leads to a playing style where players are constantly looking for ways to boost their bonuses. The dice chain forces players to focus on crestive thinking, fate, chance and luck
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

TithianKing wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:41 am My preference is to ditch pluses and minuses wherever possible and leave it to the dice of the Three Fates to decide. Anywhere in the rules where it says -2 to hit (for instance firing into combat) I would rather step down the dice chain. And vice versa for +2 to hit.
Same here. The Dice Chain is a fantastic invention.

Return to “Rules discussion”