Combat Rounds and Function

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

camarones
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Gamescape

Combat Rounds and Function

Post by camarones »

Hello everyone,

I am a veteran player of other game systems, and I have been playing with a judge lately in DCC who interprets the rules a little odd in combat. Our Judge has been treating each player's turn in combat as a round. The thing is, in examining the rules, I can't find any wording that refutes this.

Does anyone know of any resources that define what actions, player turns, and rounds in combat are better than "A character has one or more actions each round"

I understand that a round is the round, as in all the way back around to the first player. The thing is, there's no wording that I can find that defines a round as all creatures in initiative order. This ruling style has really made healing unconscious players basically impossible, and that has been problematic more than once. I'm hoping someone here knows a source of some wording that clarifies this issue -

Or am I wrong and a round is each player's turn in this game system?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Combat Rounds and Function

Post by GnomeBoy »

A Round of combat includes every participant's actions. You can also talk about a character's round, but it's understood to be part of the whole thing. "On my round..." just means "on my part of the round".

Round 1, everybody does something (or nothing if that's the choice).
Round 2, everybody does something, etc....

It's the only interpretation that makes sense. A Round is 10 seconds; if there are 6 characters involved, they aren't each waiting 50 seconds doing nothing until they get another chance to act. In those 10 seconds, every character is acting nearly simultaneously.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
camarones
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Gamescape

Post by camarones »

Hello! Thanks for your response here.

We had a pretty lengthy discussion in the post game regarding this and after a bit of logic and examination of "turns" out of combat and "rounds" in combat, we discovered where our judge had misinterpreted some of the more vague wording.

We're on track now to play the rounds proper, and luckily the previous "slow-mo" way in which we were playing didn't break our game too much.
qstor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by qstor »

DCC is partially based off of 3E. The SRD reads:

"Each round represents 6 seconds in the game world. A round presents an opportunity for each character involved in a combat situation to take an action.

Each round’s activity begins with the character with the highest initiative result and then proceeds, in order, from there. Each round of a combat uses the same initiative order. When a character’s turn comes up in the initiative sequence, that character performs his entire round’s worth of actions"

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm
"I waste it with my Hackmaster +12" Dave KODT

Twitter: @qstor2

Return to “Rules discussion”