Mighty deed of arms and other classes

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Jackblock
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Multiverso Games Cafe

Mighty deed of arms and other classes

Post by Jackblock »

Mighty deeds of arms is a fun system and we use it a lot in my table. Recently, however, the thief in my group tried to trip a enemy, which I adjudicated as a luck check, but now I wonder what you think about those kind of situations.

Does allowing the other classes to perform deeds makes the warrior less especial and I should not allow it?

Or should I allow everyone to try anything? If so, how to adjudicate it in a way that the warrior is still the best in his job ?
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: The Twenty-Sided Store

Re: Mighty deed of arms and other classes

Post by dustle »

Jackblock wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:10 pm Mighty deeds of arms is a fun system and we use it a lot in my table. Recently, however, the thief in my group tried to trip a enemy, which I adjudicated as a luck check, but now I wonder what you think about those kind of situations.

Does allowing the other classes to perform deeds makes the warrior less especial and I should not allow it?

Or should I allow everyone to try anything? If so, how to adjudicate it in a way that the warrior is still the best in his job ?
I allow anything the Player describes. I wouldn't give the Thief a Deed Die roll in that instance, but maybe ad hoc it with a Skill Check (DC 15, maybe) rather than a Luck Check.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Give them a lower die for a Deed if a non-fighter.
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: The Twenty-Sided Store

Post by dustle »

Bobjester wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:07 pm Give them a lower die for a Deed if a non-fighter.
I wouldn't go that route myself. At level 1, a Fighter has 1d3 for Deeds with 3 being the bar of success. Going any less would make deeds impossible for any other class. Something like tripping an opponent shouldn't be impossible. Maybe it's just my style as a Judge, but I think ad hoc DCs for attempts like this make the most sense.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Bobjester »

dustle wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:15 pm
Bobjester wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:07 pm Give them a lower die for a Deed if a non-fighter.
I wouldn't go that route myself. At level 1, a Fighter has 1d3 for Deeds with 3 being the bar of success. Going any less would make deeds impossible for any other class. Something like tripping an opponent shouldn't be impossible. Maybe it's just my style as a Judge, but I think ad hoc DCs for attempts like this make the most sense.
A 1st level non-fighter wouldn't have the training to do a Deed at all. I think that's a good trade-off, because it doesn't take anything away from the fighter's ability.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Another option: Let them have the result of a 1d3 Deed Die, but the Deed Die *reduces* attack roll and damage.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Keep in mind -- the Deed is doing a thing and a full attack. You're smacking the target for full-on damage AND blinding them, or knocking them into their cohort, or whatever... The Deed is not being able to create a non-damaging effect, the Deed is doing an effect along with regular damage.

When anyone without a Deed Die wants to blind, trip, delay, and so on, that's an action that does no damage.

How you resolve that is down to the Judge, but I'd lean toward using an attack roll or a Save, employing the Dice Chain on that where it makes sense.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The important thing is, no matter what you decide, it should not be as good as (or better than) that Warrior's/Dwarf's Deed Die.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

A warrior doing a trip deed would still do damage.
I think other classes trying to trip should be an opposed-strength check, and be instead of a regular attack.
Tabulazero II
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Xenomorph

Post by Tabulazero II »

Jackblock wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:10 pm Mighty deeds of arms is a fun system and we use it a lot in my table. Recently, however, the thief in my group tried to trip a enemy, which I adjudicated as a luck check, but now I wonder what you think about those kind of situations.

Mighty deeds are really the prerogative of warriors. If other classes can use them, what fun is there to play a warrior ?

In the situation you describe, I would require from the rogue a full round just to trip his opponent. That’s all he would get to do and, unlike a warrior or a dwarf, he would not inflict damages on top of tripping his opponent.

To succeed, he would need to roll 1d20 + Dex modifier against his opponent highest between 10+Ref save or 10+Attack Bonus.

In DCC, while we have a Fortitude save for endurance, we are missing a save for raw feat of strength (a Brawn Save?). I house rule that by using a creature (pc or npc) attack modifier as a proxy because the stronger you are the harder you tend to hit in DCC and, unlike a direct utilisation of the STR modifier, it scales with your level like the rest of your saves.

With this approach all classes can still attempt to trip, grapple or shove their opponents except that they are far less efficient than warriors in doing so.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Bobjester »

Tabulazero II wrote:In DCC, while we have a Fortitude save for endurance, we are missing a save for raw feat of strength (a Brawn Save?). I house rule that by using a creature (pc or npc) attack modifier as a proxy because the stronger you are the harder you tend to hit in DCC and, unlike a direct utilisation of the STR modifier, it scales with your level like the rest of your saves.
:idea: I really like this idea!

Return to “Rules discussion”