Help Blending B/X into DCC

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: The Twenty-Sided Store

Help Blending B/X into DCC

Post by dustle »

Background: when I was really young, I played a little 1st and 2nd Ed. AD&D, but the Rules Cyclopedia came out when I was 14, and that's pretty much what I've used for gaming ever since. A year or two ago, I discovered DCC and have been Judging an ongoing PbP campaign on Discord with seven of my college buddies as the players ever since. I love DCC. It rekindled my love of roleplaying. But in some ways it's felt overpowered to me since the funnel. Permanent deaths are rare with two clerics in the group, the roll over mechanic, and an Elf who can Invoke Patron (King of Elfland) to travel back in time using the halfling of the group as a Luck battery (five of the seven died last week, and the Elf/Halfling combo saved them that way). Anyway, I recently started looking at other OSR systems, and I really like the clean presentation of OSE and also find I prefer some of the scaling rules (Thief in particular) of B/X over the Rules Cyclopedia. So my idea is to use DCC as a base (as that's what my friends are used to and the flavor can't be beat) and try to give it a little more B/X for our next campaign (I think we're nearing a natural conclusion to our first campaign after all this time).

Anyway, ideas so far:

CHARACTERS

Clerics: Mostly as DCC Cleric. Turn Undead (not Turn Unholy) at Level 1, 4* spell slots and Lay on Hands at level 2. May cast spell at minimum effective roll and lose the spell until long rest OR may increase disapproval range by 1 (asking too much of one’s god) and roll on the table. Any spells that the Cleric is of sufficient level to cast may be memorized. Spell slots may not be filled with multiple copies of the same spell. HD 1d6.

*I'm kind of thinking four spell slots at Level 2 for the Cleric might be too much overlap with the Magic-User, but I kind of want to push back against the idea of Cleric as just a healer and emphasize more of the badass slayer of the undead.

Thieves: Mostly as DCC Thief. Must train (e.g. with Guild or Master) to increase Luck Die. HD 1d6.

Fighters: Mostly as DCC Warrior. Must train (e.g. with Guild or Master) to increase Deed Die. HD 1d8.

Magic-Users: Mostly as DCC Wizard. 4 spell slots at level 1. May cast spell at minimum effective roll and lose the spell until long rest (no mercurial effects) OR may spellburn at least 1 point (added to check) and roll on the table (with mercurial effects). Spells must be memorized from the magic-user’s spell book. Spell slots may not be filled with multiple copies of the same spell. New spells must be researched or found in play to be added to the spell book. The number of spells in the spell book may exceed the maximum number of spells that can be memorized. HD 1d4.

Dwarves: Mostly as DCC Dwarf. Must train (e.g. with Guild or Master) to increase Deed Die. HD 1d8. Max Level 12.

Elves: Mostly as DCC Elf (3 spell slots at level 1 plus Patron Bond and Invoke Patron). May cast spell at minimum effective roll and lose the spell until long rest (no mercurial effects) OR may spellburn at least 1 point (added to check) and roll on the table (with mercurial effects). Spells must be memorized from the elf’s spell book. Spell slots may not be filled with multiple copies of the same spell. New spells must be researched or found in play to be added to the spell book. The number of spells in the spell book may exceed the maximum number of spells that can be memorized. HD 1d6. Max Level 10.

Halflings: Mostly as DCC Halfling. Luck points are worth 1 when given to allies, 2 when used for self. AC +2. Missile +1. HD 1d6. Max Level 8.

Level Advancement: As DCC

XP: Rewarded at Judge’s discretion for treasure (1xp/50gp), creative role playing, and/or surviving encounters.

COMBAT

Initiative: As OSE. 1d6/group/round

Fumbles and Crits: As DCC

Saves: As DCC

MISC.

Currency: As OSE (1,000cp = 100sp = 20ep = 10gp = 2pp)

Checks: Roll Under Stats unless Natural Success (e.g. I decide anyone with 12 Strength or more can force a door, otherwise roll under character's Strength). This one is neither DCC or OSE, but I like it.

Any thoughts or feedback would be welcome. I'm looking for something that keeps the DCC flavor but makes it riskier even at higher levels of big (seven PCs) parties. Thanks in advance.
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Help Blending B/X into DCC

Post by dustle »

I've been tweaking this. Made some mistakes in my first version, didn't account for level disparity between B/X and DCC, for instance. I revised my modifications for pretty much all of the character classes. Anyway, I think I'm getting close to something workable and have designed a dungeon to try it out with some first level characters that I plan to run as a one-off with some coworkers. I figure I'll have a better idea of how it works once I see it in play. But any preemptive criticisms, observations, potential problems, etc. are welcome.

CHARACTERS

If not running a funnel, all level one characters start with 1d4 HP + HD

Cleric: Mostly as DCC Cleric. Turn Undead (not Turn Unholy) at Level 1, 3 spell slots and Lay on Hands at level 2. May cast spell at minimum effective roll and lose the spell until long rest OR may increase disapproval range by 1 (asking too much of one’s god) and roll on the table (disapproval range starts at 0 each day). Lay on Hands may be rolled without preemptive increase of disapproval range, as DCC. Any spells that the Cleric is of sufficient level to cast may be memorized. Spell reversal possible without action dice penalty but should only be reversed according to alignment. Spell slots may not be filled with multiple copies of the same spell. Attack Bonus per level as DCC Halfling. HD 1d7.

Magic-User: Mostly as DCC Wizard. 4 spell slots--one of which must be Read Magic--at level 1. May cast spell at minimum effective roll and lose the spell until long rest (no mercurial effects) OR may spellburn at least 1 point (first point not added to check) and roll on the table (with mercurial effects). Patron Bond and Invoke Patron restrictions as with Elf (see below). Spells must be memorized from the magic-user’s spell book. Spell slots may not be filled with multiple copies of the same spell. Spell reversal possible at action die one lower on the dice chain. New spells must be researched or found in play to be added to the spell book (success in adding a spell to the book is determined by intelligence check). The number of spells in the spell book may exceed the maximum number of spells that can be memorized. Spells higher than maximum level that can be cast cannot be added to the spell book. HD 1d4.

Fighter: Mostly as DCC Warrior. Must train (e.g. with Guild or Master) to increase Deed Die at monetary cost and contingent on successful Strength check (failed check may be repeated with additional training). HD 1d10.

Thief: As DCC Thief. HD 1d7.

Dwarf: Mostly as DCC Dwarf. Must train (e.g. with Clan or Master) to increase Deed Die at monetary cost and contingent on successful Strength check (failed check may be repeated with additional training). HD 1d10. Max Level 8.

Elf: Mostly as DCC Elf. 3 spell slots--one of which must be Read Magic--at level 1 plus Patron Bond and Invoke Patron. The slots for Patron Bond and Invoke Patron may not be filled by other spells and these spells must be rolled as DCC. No auto-check for secret doors. May cast spell (apart from Patron Bond and Invoke Patron) at minimum effective roll and lose the spell until long rest (no mercurial effects) OR may spellburn at least 1 point (first point not added to check) and roll on the table (with mercurial effects). Spells must be memorized from the elf’s spell book. Spell slots may not be filled with multiple copies of the same spell. Spell reversal possible at action die one lower on the dice chain. New spells must be researched or found in play to be added to the spell book (success in adding a spell to the book is determined by intelligence check). The number of spells in the spell book may exceed the maximum number of spells that can be memorized. Spells higher than maximum level that can be cast cannot be added to the spell book. HD 1d7. Max Level 7.

Halfling: Mostly as DCC Halfling. Luck points are worth 1 when given to allies, 2 when used for self. AC +2 against monsters larger than human-sized. Missile attacks +1. HD 1d7. Max Level 6.

Level Advancement: As DCC

XP: Rewarded at Judge’s discretion, e.g. for treasure (1xp/50gp), creative role playing, and/or surviving encounters.

COMBAT

Initiative: As OSE (1d6/group/round)

Fumbles and Crits: As DCC

Saves: As DCC

MISC.

Currency: As OSE (1,000cp = 100sp = 20ep = 10gp = 2pp)

Skill checks: Roll Under Stats unless Natural Success (e.g. I decide anyone with 12 Strength or more can force a door, otherwise roll under character's Strength). Dice chain for higher difficulties.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Some nice ideas here. My experience has been that 2 levels of B/X (or AD&D or most other OSR products) equates roughly to 1 level of DCC RPG, so that might help guide you a little in estimating your conversions. Overall I like what I see, however.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dustle »

Thanks for the response. Maybe I'll update after I playtest it a little.
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dustle »

finarvyn wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:26 am Some nice ideas here. My experience has been that 2 levels of B/X (or AD&D or most other OSR products) equates roughly to 1 level of DCC RPG, so that might help guide you a little in estimating your conversions. Overall I like what I see, however.
Thanks again for the encouragement. What started out as House Rules for DCC has led me down a real rabbit hole since I first posted: actually reading through the Little Brown Books, the supplements, Holmes, Moldvay & Cook, and more (modern retroclones, for instance, including your White Box). I grew up on BECMI, but I even went back and read that again with new eyes. Anyway, I'm now deep in the middle of creating my own system pretty firmly rooted in those early ones, though it still has a bit of DCC in its blood (no Luck attribute, for instance, but Thieves can "press their luck"--at level 1, that's 3d6 with a penalty below 9 and a bonus above 12--and I kept the above-mentioned idea of letting magic-users choose between casting and forgetting OR rolling at their own risk). Anyway, I won't bore you with any more details as it's largely irrelevant to Goodman Games at this point, but I just wanted to thank you again just for saying "some nice ideas here." Even if my players never want to play it again beyond the first playtest (whenever that will be), I'm having a blast creating it, running dice simulations, reading old modules, etc.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

Still a pretty cool idea. I do like adding gold/xp into DCC, i just like.. "earning" levels, and only getting 1-4 XP per encounter makes it a slog. And getting "milestone" style level ups just feels wrong to me. So getting loot to earn more xp seems like a good addition.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

BanjoJohn wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 am Still a pretty cool idea. I do like adding gold/xp into DCC, i just like.. "earning" levels, and only getting 1-4 XP per encounter makes it a slog. And getting "milestone" style level ups just feels wrong to me. So getting loot to earn more xp seems like a good addition.
Here is a start on the math:

https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2018 ... -gold.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dustle »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:24 am
BanjoJohn wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 am Still a pretty cool idea. I do like adding gold/xp into DCC, i just like.. "earning" levels, and only getting 1-4 XP per encounter makes it a slog. And getting "milestone" style level ups just feels wrong to me. So getting loot to earn more xp seems like a good addition.
Here is a start on the math:

https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2018 ... -gold.html
Nice! That's a great way of thinking about it. I'll have to give it a try with the system I'm working on (which has different level thresholds). Thanks.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Ever since I read Dave Arneson's Adventures In Fantasy & First Fantasy Campaign, I've wanted to try his GP for XP system. Instead of receiving XP for GPV, he rules that players must spend their gold in some way relevant to their characters to receive XP for it.

You could spend GP on class training, stronghold construction or upkeep, magical research, donating to your order, etc., stock ill-gotten (stolen) treasures in a trophy room, even go so far as starting a NPC family & spending GP on them to keep the spouse happy, children fed, etc. while you're out roaming with your band.

It really struck me that this was a great way to expand on role playing opportunities, as well as putting meaning behind the WHY it is that GP=XP as a mechanic.

I know that GP=XP disappeared in AD&D 2e, because many had moved on from the premise that wealth has anything to do with character level. I maintain that character levels were not only an expression of physical prowess in advancing ability scores, hit points, hit dice, attacks, spells, etc.,

but were also meant to denote a character's ability to influence and expand the campaign.

The most obvious mechanical advantage to having wealth was the stronghold construction rules. Sure, you could command the NPCs as followers gained at higher levels, and this part was kept in later editions, but taking out that GP=XP bridge made no sense.

NPCs follow the PC because they had influence and money & would be capable of paying them a wage. This not relevant to the character's level of wealth was an unnecessary change.

As scarce as money is in DCC's implied setting, awarding 1xp for 10 platinum pieces (using the standard XP level advancement table) might be a better ratio with DCC's implied setting.
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dustle »

Again, not DCC or Goodman specific, but curious from a game design perspective if anyone has thoughts on this:

The system I've developed is almost all d6-based. Sometimes 1d6, 2d6, 3d6, etc. but really based on the one type of die. The only exceptions in the system as it exists are combat (d20) and magic (without getting into it too deeply, optional d20). My best friend read the system and called me a "coward" for not embracing d6 completely (I appreciate his honest feedback; he's my best friend). Anyway, the reason I have the d20 vs. 3d6 built into the system is that I want some luck factor in there. The moment you introduce a second die (like 2d6), you start to get a curve that middles out. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get that swinginess using d6 but not just boiling it down to 1d6 (which seems limited in that bonuses like +1 suddenly have a lot more weight)? I was thinking of something like 1d6(x3) so that bonuses and penalties are less extreme, but I'm wondering if anybody else has other thoughts that might better emulate d20 only using d6. Thanks in advance. As I mentioned in my first post, DCC got my back into gaming, so this is my go-to forum, but sorry if it's not what other people come here for.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

To take the curve out of the d6 and have it scale larger for, um, whatever reason in your game that you'd roll 3d6, etc., use a control die. I'll briefly explain control dice, in case it's unfamiliar...

You know how percentiles work. Now look at it this way: One percentile die is telling you which "bracket" of the 1-100 scale you're in (you're in the 21-30 range [3rd bracket] or the 81-90 range [9th bracket], etc.) The other percentile die is telling you where in the bracket you are (if you're in the 3rd bracket and you have a 4 on the second die, then you've rolled a 24). There's a special case for '00', but the idea of brackets and range within the bracket is the main idea here...

That explanation sounds more complicated than making the actual percentile roll is in practice. But what's important is that once you have that concept, you can switch the dice out, in this case to d6's...

So instead of a 2d6 roll, roll 1d6 to determine low (1-3) or high (4-6), and then another to give you where you are in high or low, and you'll find you have a range of 1-12 with no curve.

Roll 1d6 with low (1-2). medium (3-4), and high (5-6) results, and another d6 to determine where within the bracket you are, and you have 1-18 with no curve.

Now, 1-24 is trickier, but there are ways to get there. 1-30 is also trickier. 1-36 is easy.

Depending on how many d6's your game design involves, this "d6 'percentiles' idea" may be a good solution.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dustle »

GnomeBoy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:10 am To take the curve out of the d6 and have it scale larger for, um, whatever reason in your game that you'd roll 3d6, etc., use a control die. I'll briefly explain control dice, in case it's unfamiliar...

You know how percentiles work. Now look at it this way: One percentile die is telling you which "bracket" of the 1-100 scale you're in (you're in the 21-30 range [3rd bracket] or the 81-90 range [9th bracket], etc.) The other percentile die is telling you where in the bracket you are (if you're in the 3rd bracket and you have a 4 on the second die, then you've rolled a 24). There's a special case for '00', but the idea of brackets and range within the bracket is the main idea here...

That explanation sounds more complicated than making the actual percentile roll is in practice. But what's important is that once you have that concept, you can switch the dice out, in this case to d6's...

So instead of a 2d6 roll, roll 1d6 to determine low (1-3) or high (4-6), and then another to give you where you are in high or low, and you'll find you have a range of 1-12 with no curve.

Roll 1d6 with low (1-2). medium (3-4), and high (5-6) results, and another d6 to determine where within the bracket you are, and you have 1-18 with no curve.

Now, 1-24 is trickier, but there are ways to get there. 1-30 is also trickier. 1-36 is easy.

Depending on how many d6's your game design involves, this "d6 'percentiles' idea" may be a good solution.
Wow, thanks so much. This helps a lot.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I do hope it's helpful.

Control dice as a concept opens up A LOT of possibilities when you start looking at different combinations. It's always floating there in my mind, because back when the only 20-siders were numbered 0-9 twice, using a control die to give you high/low was how I first learned to get a flat 1-20 result (before the technological breakthrough of coloring in the numbers to differentiate high and low... numbering the die from 1-20 from the production end came even later).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dustle »

GnomeBoy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:19 pm I do hope it's helpful.

Control dice as a concept opens up A LOT of possibilities when you start looking at different combinations. It's always floating there in my mind, because back when the only 20-siders were numbered 0-9 twice, using a control die to give you high/low was how I first learned to get a flat 1-20 result (before the technological breakthrough of coloring in the numbers to differentiate high and low... numbering the die from 1-20 from the production end came even later).
It's super helpful. I've used control dice before, with DCC in particular and figuring out rolls without the Zocchi dice (like to get a result for 1d16 using 1d8), but it just didn't occur to me to use a control die in the way you suggested, and I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm really grateful for the input.
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dustle »

Hey everybody,

I know this isn't necessarily the place for this, but I just wanted to throw this out here, as this is the RPG forum I'm most active on.

I'm finally "finished" with my rule system. I've playtested it with my kids and some friends and on roll20, and I think it's OK. I'm still learning InDesign, but I think I've put together a pretty good document using Word, with some public domain filler art. The rules without cover, backmatter, etc. are about 64 pages. I'd love feedback if anyone has the time to give it. It's basically 80% OSR D&D (LBB, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer), 10% DCC, and 10% original mechanics. Or something like that. It has a default setting that tries to pay tribute to all of its influences (not only the city of Moldvayn, the Isle of Mentzerholme, and the Arnegaxian Khanate, but also Fort Breig (commanded by Lord Harley), a town led by Patriarch Goodman and the Wizard Curtis, a Jungle that is the home to the Crow King, etc.). If anyone wants to look, I'm more than happy to link to a pdf. I'm just happy that I managed to complete this, though, and wanted to share it here because you guys inspired me. In any case, thanks. Even if nothing more comes of it, it's been so much fun developing it.
King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Top Tier Boardgames

Post by King of Elfland »

Sounds cool. I've done something similar, adding DCC elements to my OSE/OSR games. So we use action dice, the dice chain, and have a possibility of spell failure with corruption or deity disfavor. We use crits too, but I can't decide on whether to use my own streamlined Crits table or the DCC ones so we go back & forth.

Then I use the DCC tables for that stuff. Having their little reference book is great since it's small and portable. I also use the clerical healing/turning thing from DCC.
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Spread Throughout the Skies"---Blue Oyster Cult
dustle
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dustle »

King of Elfland wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:04 am Sounds cool. I've done something similar, adding DCC elements to my OSE/OSR games. So we use action dice, the dice chain, and have a possibility of spell failure with corruption or deity disfavor. We use crits too, but I can't decide on whether to use my own streamlined Crits table or the DCC ones so we go back & forth.

Then I use the DCC tables for that stuff. Having their little reference book is great since it's small and portable. I also use the clerical healing/turning thing from DCC.
Cool, yeah, I kept a bit of DCC, like Lay on Hands and Spell Checks with the possibility of Corruption and Disapproval, but you can also cast at will at the lowest effect and lose the spell until memorizing again after the next long rest.

The biggest change is I only use d6, so the "dice chain" goes from using 1d6 with a Control die to get a linear range of 1-18, then 3d6, then 2d6+2, etc.

For Turn Undead, I have a linear formula rather than a curved one, so if 1d6 + WIS modifier + CL - # of HD per monster >= 4, it's a successful Turn, then one additional monster of the same HD is turned for each point over 4.

I also use descending AC. To calculate a hit, it's the linear 1-18 from 1d6 with Control die, + ATK modifier, + defender's AC. 17 or higher is a hit. But descending AC isn't just used for nostalgia, as it figures into other things besides hits. Like a Thief's backstab adds the Thief's level to the defender's AC to calculate extra damage. And if you fall in the ocean, for instance, you have to roll 1d6 under AC from armor (disregard DEX bonus) to get your armor off and not drown. Anyway, it's been a lot of fun to develop.

Return to “Rules discussion”