Regarding the DCC license . . .

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

gmlent
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Off The Wall Games

Regarding the DCC license . . .

Post by gmlent »

Howdy!

I wrote to Mr. Goodman on behalf of my tiny little publishing house, Miniature Giant Space Hamster Press, and obtained a license to publish a DCC product a few years ago. For various reasons, the product never appeared and the license expired.

I know it's easy enough to get a new license, but my question is about how necessary it is, especially for small products. Let me explain.

My business partner/old friend and I have ideas for a number of monsters we think could be idea for DCC. Conceptually, these would be presented individually in a series of short articles or products. Anyone who has seen our Hamster Highlight or Offbeat Encounters series has a decent idea of how we envision this to work.

Do I need a separate license for each of these products? Do I need the license at all to publish DCC-compatible material, or is it just to get the Goodman Games stamp of approval/window space? If it makes any difference at all, many to most of the products in question would be offered as free downloads, or at most PWYW.

The original product, about which I obtained the license a ways back, is still in development and I will definitely seek out a license for that one. This question is more for tiny 1-3 page monster writeup/illustration pieces.

Thank you for any assistance!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Regarding the DCC license . . .

Post by GnomeBoy »

If you want the compatibility logo, you need to get the license.

It's basically no fuss to get, so why not?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
gmlent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gmlent »

GnomeBoy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:23 pm If you want the compatibility logo, you need to get the license.

It's basically no fuss to get, so why not?
Thanks for the response!

I guess my concern is blasting Mr. Goodman with a bunch of requests in short order. But I suppose I can explain myself in the first and see how he'd like to proceed once it's relevant.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Once you have the license, you're not re-applying for it for each product. You do have to submit each product for review, but that's the process, and if you have several at once, they can be submitted all together, even right along with the initial application for the license...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
gmlent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gmlent »

GnomeBoy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:16 am Once you have the license, you're not re-applying for it for each product. You do have to submit each product for review, but that's the process, and if you have several at once, they can be submitted all together, even right along with the initial application for the license...
Ok, that makes a ton of sense.

Last time I provided a summary of the product in question; is certainly won't hurt me to provide a batch of different summaries.

Thank you for your thoughts/help/insights!

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”