Ghostlike Crime #01 DCC Zine Review

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

NickxBaran
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Board Game Barrister

Ghostlike Crime #01 DCC Zine Review

Post by NickxBaran »

I recently sat down and read my copy of Ghostlike Crime #01 from cover to cover. Above is my YouTube review which goes into a lot more detail.

The quick bullet points:

- It takes DCC to modern dystopia. Mash up bits of Ghost Busters, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and The X-Files. You can totally use this for a "monster of the week game" or...

- There is mention of an underlying narrative where corporate cabals hoard magic in addition to wealth, and who have a knack for tearing holes in reality by being awful stewards of their power.

- It has a whole new occupation chart that reflects 80s movies about this sort of subject matter.

- It has two new classes (Scrapper and Paratechnologist) and repurposes the Warrior, Thief, and Halfling, though Halflings are called Half-Pints, and they are that "streetwise kid" from so many action and adventure movies.

- The modern equipment at 0-level is mostly crap you'd pull out of a suburban garage, and Lucky Signs are replaced with Lucky Trinkets.

- There are a bunch of Weird Science Devices, that are the "magic" of the Paratechnologist.

- There are 3 short adventures, and I wish they were a bit more fleshed out. They give more of a sense of "what can be done" with the setting, than they give a clear narrative experience.

- And it ends with a mini-monster manual pulled from urban legends.

I really enjoy it conceptually, though I haven't played it, and I have a bunch of adventure ideas I want to put to the test.

If this sounds interesting, check out the review or just go order it from the online store here:
https://goodman-games.com/store/product ... -crime-01/

Nick Baran
Breaker Press Games

PS. I am going through all of the stuff I backed on Kickstarter this year, so expect more DCC reviews. I'm rendering one for Reckoning of the Gods right now. More on that one soon!

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”