Brave Halfling Publishing: Appendix N Adventures

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Brave Halfling Publishing: Appendix N Adventures

Post by tacojohn4547 »

tacojohn4547 wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
LegoRick wrote:I am still waiting for a copy of Delving Deeper which I ordered even before I backed the KS project!
Have you e-mailed John about this? There's a thread on my OD&D Disucssion boards where he has been trying to get information from any folks who have been missed in the process.

I got my copy a few weeks ago and I think most of the "last wave" has been sent out and folks are all getting their copies of Delving Deeper. If I recall correctly, John had some organizational issues and some notecards with contact info got lost or misplaced.

<<snip>>

Anyway, you might contact John again to be sure you didn't get missed.
I ordered a copy of Delving Deeper when BHP was just concluding the publishing of the Swords & Wizardry White Box boxed sets and offered to convert S&W WB boxed sets to Delving Deeper. It's been so long in getting here that I don't remember how long that's been.

But, I've continued to email John about it every 3 to 6 months, just to make sure I was still on his list of folks still waiting on their boxed set. On December 30, after receiving one of my reminder emails, John emailed me a tracking number for the Delving Deeper boxed set. And today, it looks like the boxed set was delivered to my house. Whoop! :!:

I'm not home yet, but when I make it home, I'm sure going to savor looking over the boxed set that arrived today.

Thanks, John, for getting this mailed out!

As it turned out, the post office didn't deliver my copy the Delving Deeper boxed set, despite the tracking website indicating that it was delivered. So no joy for me! /grumble grumble grumble....

But I emailed John about it and, after trading some emails back and fourth, he's going to send out a replacement copy via FedEx instead of using USPS. I have every confidence that I will eventually get a copy of the Delving Deeper boxed set from BHP.

And since I'm not depending on having the dead-tree version to play games, I'm not sore about the boxed set taking a while to arrive. But I can understand the frustration folks are experiencing where they were going to use some of BHP's products in their active gaming.
Ceronomus
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Dungeon Games - Estero, FL

Post by Ceronomus »

Woot. Shipment is here. Aggravation ended.
LegoRick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LegoRick »

My Brave Halfling Publishing materials arrived today!

Delving Deeper Box Set:

I believe I am still expecting a second shipment since I preordered prior to Thanksgiving 2012.

Appendix N Adventures Kickstarter Shipment #1:

Overall I am very pleased with the final results.
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

....still....still waiting for my appendix n adventures to arrive. Fingers crossed.
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
BattleBrotherBob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BattleBrotherBob »

Well after a long wait I did receive my copies of Appendix N. I must say it has been a long strange trip but worth it. The quality is unbelievable and the amount of fun packed into these is huge. Now to start getting a group to run the funnel.

Thanks John, you really came through.
Traveller player since 1978
AD&D player since 1978

Guess that just makes me a Grognard.

"Every movie can use more Bobba Fetts." Kevin Smith- Comic Book Men
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

My copies of the Delving Deeper Boxed Set arrived yesterday! Their condition was pristine, and the physical quality of the product is outstanding!

Big thank you to John for following through on the DD boxed set! Great to have it in my hands!
French crawler
Gongfarmer

Post by French crawler »

got this mail 3 months ago (12/12/2013)

Sujet : Appendix N Adventures Subscription

Hey folks,

Again, I apologize for the terrible delay. I have begun shipping your first shipment (1/2 of your subscription) to you this week. There will be a second shipment of modules in a few months as well.

Here is what is coming in your shipment:

“The Ruins of Ramat” (Levels 0 & 3 versions)
“The Vile Worm” (Level 1)
Three Add-On Adventures (“The Green Orb,” “Gifts of the Only” & “The Perplexing Disappearances in Brambury”),
two detached covers with maps-on-the-back
and eight player's handouts on card stock.

This will officially give you twice as much as is available in the retail versions.

Again, my apologies for the too-long wait.

Shipments inside of the US will not receive a tracking number (it is far faster to ship them to you this way). International orders will have a tracking number emailed to them.

I will email you when all of the first shipment has left BHP.

Thank you.

I'm still waiting :cry:
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Sorry for the lateness in updates, but I have been very sick in the last couple of weeks.

Update on Appendix N Adventures Subscription

All of the remaining materials for the first shipment are ready for shipping (and have been for a while now). Not much is left to be done for ALL of the remaining materials to be ready for shipping (in the 2nd shipment).

Here is exactly where we stand on the project:

1st Shipment

Appendix N Adventures #1: "The Ruins of Ramat" 0 level & 3rd level versions COMPLETED - PDF RELEASED PRINTED AND SHIPPING

Appendix N Adventures #2: "The Vile Worm" includes Add-On Adventure #1: "The Green Orb" and #2: "Gifts of the Only" COMPLETED - PDF RELEASED PRINTED AND SHIPPING

2nd Shipment

Appendix N Adventures #3: "The Treacherous Cobtraps" COMPLETED - PDF RELEASED PRINT VERSION - currently being printed

Appendix N Adventures #4: "The Witch of Wydfield" with Add-On Adventure #3: "The Perplexing Disappearances in Brambury" COMPLETED - PDF RELEASED PRINT VERSION - currently being printed

I am sorry for the delays. Everyone should have their first shipment soon.
John Adams
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

For those watching from the sidelines (or for Joe Goodman, who should be seriously concerned about having his name even remotely associated with BHP), here are some backer comments from the above update:

---

It's almost two years now and I haven't received a single thing. :(

---

I never got a first shipment. :/
I haven't moved or anything. My address hasn't changed since I submitted it originally.

---

I'm only a $30 pledge and still haven't seen a first shipment yet. Reading the update, it looks like you are saying only the $500 and $200 haven't received a first shipment yet, or that you are starting with them next week? There are only six folks at that level...

---

I think I will ask Joe Goodman if his offer to refund my money still stands. I will never bye anything from you again. This is the worst online purchase I have ever tried to make.

---

Yeah, James A, never mind about The Old Isle, he already told you he was full of crap about that. He's just gonna release that as a PDF sometime down the road. And despite the fact that he basically says it's finished in the description...it's totally not, but no worries, he totally told you that a long time ago. Before you gave him money? No, but still, he told you...therefore it's not unethical or a "bait and switch."
eponine72, you haven't received anything because of this. In Feb (19 months after the funding ended) he said he had shipped 401 items (the first module only of course). That is roughly 5 items a week shipping if you average it.
Five.
At this rate it will take him...40 weeks to ship the remainder of the first module. So don't worry, sometime in the next five years you should be getting your materials...well, one of six anyway.
The rest will take approximately 48 years for him to ship out. I mean, after the 40 weeks to finish this first one. If he continues at his current rate, that is. So don't worry. As long as you are not over 40 years old, I'm sure you'll get them before you die.
Remember, he said they were "ready to go!"

---

My GOD, you keep making the same excuses. This is a nightmare. You were at 378 shipments on January 17th, and you were only at 401 by February 27th. How many have you shipped since then??? GIVE US NUMBERS. And the Old Isle setting was already done, I thought, with maps and art already commissioned long ago. We're supposed to get print copies of an 11" x 17" color campaign map, AND a digest Player's and Referee's Guide. And you're saying THAT'S not happing now, either? And you saying in Update #56 that the setting was created with kids in mind seems to run counter to your description of the setting on the main page of this terrible Kickstarter. (Oh, I'm sure you wanted a kids setting for Legendary Adventures...right) Way to flip flop on ANOTHER thing you said. And with regards to the gaming box...are you saying that it takes TWO YEARS for someone to create box art? It should have been done LONG ago...AS SHOULD ALL OF THE ART AND MAPS AND OTHER ASSETS FOR EVERYTHING ELSE. I think you're throwing fictional artists (and shipping assistants, and computers, and USPS/shipping problems, etc.) under the bus to cover your own failings with this project. There are only 23 people in the 100+ pledge range. You're going to take a week to do them? Most of them should have their stuff, according to past updates! And then you're only going to pick another level every 1-2 weeks? WEEKS? Why will they take 1-2 weeks EACH??? If you've REALLY shipped at least 401 already, then you have YET to ship to around 160 people. JUST SHIP THAT STUFF. STOP DICKING AROUND WITH EVERYTHING ELSE. PUT THE STUFF IN AN ENVELOPE, LABEL IT, AND SEND IT OUT. I mean, that's all you have to do. Or tell us why you are NOT doing that...with no more excuses or lies. Repeatedly you've said one thing, then done another. You've said that you WON'T do or say certain things, but then you do. You ship product to stores before you ship to backers. You're screwing a lot of people, here...always more excuses, and always more lies.
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

With my $30 pledge,i am still waiting to receive my items as well. I just keep telling myself my items will be received someday......perhaps next week.
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I could hire a 12 year old kid from the neighborhood and get this thing in the mail faster. I would like my money back. Will you give me my money back?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

I found it pretty extraordinary that last week he talked about finishing up the first shipment to people in the $500 and $200 pledge levels "next week." That's only 6 people!

The constant (extremely personal) excuses are also pretty bizarre.

ETA: Also, it occurred to me the other day that these materials were scheduled to be delivered just before my son was born. He's now a healthy toddler, running around, talking up a storm, starting potty training, and discovering the wonders of sidewalk chalk! The goofiness of all this can be measured by my son's developmental milestones when we have final delivery. Any bets? First bike with training wheels? First without? First day of school? First kiss? Voting in a federal election? Retirement? Who knows!
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

We are working towards having all of the remaining print rewards ready to start shipping on May 1. Lots of materials are now out at the printers and I will post pictures as they arrive.

The plan is to begin final shipping the first week of May, making sure those kickstarter supporters who paid extra postage get theirs in the first batches to go out as well as those who might end up not having received the first shipment next and then everyone else.

For those Annual subscribers do not have their first shipment by May 1 will receive all of the modules together.

It is my hope and goal that everyone will have all of their print rewards before the 2nd anniversary of the funding of this kickstarter project.
John Adams
nefffffffffff
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by nefffffffffff »

Wasn't the second shipment supposed to be going out by now? I've looked around and since the BHP facebook page (and most of the business' webside besides the blog) has mysteriously disappeared the only way to get in touch with anybody is an email address which comes with the dubious caveat that "it might take a few days for me to get back to you." Does anybody know how to get in touch with BHP to ask for a refund? I know that unfortunately all the kickstarter backers are SOL when it comes to refunds but what about those of us that spent money on the subscriptions, a product that we were told we would receive by October, 2012? I've tried to stick it out for almost two years now but at this point it is essentially just theft. Can anybody at Goodman Games help since BHP has managed to vanish other than the odd forum/blog post?
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

nefffffffffff wrote:Wasn't the second shipment supposed to be going out by now? I've looked around and since the BHP facebook page (and most of the business' webside besides the blog) has mysteriously disappeared the only way to get in touch with anybody is an email address which comes with the dubious caveat that "it might take a few days for me to get back to you." Does anybody know how to get in touch with BHP to ask for a refund? I know that unfortunately all the kickstarter backers are SOL when it comes to refunds but what about those of us that spent money on the subscriptions, a product that we were told we would receive by October, 2012? I've tried to stick it out for almost two years now but at this point it is essentially just theft. Can anybody at Goodman Games help since BHP has managed to vanish other than the odd forum/blog post?
Email me. I haven't vanished at all. I had to shut down my facebook account for personal reasons. I am updating the website as well. Make sure you use your real name when you email me. john@bravehalfling.com
John Adams
Ceronomus
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Dungeon Games - Estero, FL

Post by Ceronomus »

My wife got her materials (not the stretch goals, but the actual kick-started materials). It took a lot of emailing and complaining, but they did come. They are all digest sized, but they ARE good adventures. That is the double-sided issue here.

One really needs to chase, hound, and be the squeaky wheel to get the materials, but when they arrive? They are good. As I've said, we'll never back another Brave Halfling Kickstarter, but purchasing PDFs or PODs? Certainly. The products are good. Management of the entire affair? Not so much. My advice, just keep emailing directly and you will get your stuff.

In the meantime?

"I expect that BHP will continue to be focused upon finishing up the Delving Deeper Boxed Set (our part) and the Appendix N Adventures projects over the coming months. But once they are completed, I have many other projects in the works. NONE of them involve crowd sourcing or doing my own shipping. BHP has good equipment, plenty of workspace and I have a renewed sense of purpose."

THIS! This is a VERY good move.
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

Latest update divides the four kickstarted modules into four "bundles" and promises that "[y]ou will receive a bundle or two every few months until everyone has all of their print copies." So for those of us who have still received nothing, I guess this means we'll have our stuff in .... a year? Cripes.

The other stretch goal rewards will come subject to "plans" posted "later on, after the majority of folks have a number of printed modules." So -- maybe some time in 2032 (during the Malia Obama administration).
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

jozxyqk wrote:Latest update divides the four kickstarted modules into four "bundles" and promises that "[y]ou will receive a bundle or two every few months until everyone has all of their print copies." So for those of us who have still received nothing, I guess this means we'll have our stuff in .... a year? Cripes.

The other stretch goal rewards will come subject to "plans" posted "later on, after the majority of folks have a number of printed modules." So -- maybe some time in 2032 (during the Malia Obama administration).
It appears that John is regularly updating his Twitter feed, so it looks like we may be seeing something pretty soon. Last few days:

Brave Halfling @BraveHalfling
Appendix N Adventures update for the Kickstarter posted. Annual Subscription update on Thursday.
2h
Appendix N Adventures updates for the Kickstarter and Annual Subscription by this evening.
13 Jun
On the road with unknown internet access all weekend. Updates early next week.
10 Jun
2 hours work updating mailing labels lost due to WORD and Onedrive just pretending to save. :(
5 Jun
Shipping Appendix N and delving Deeper materials. Laying out a module by Michael Curtis and working on an Appendix N Adventures update.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

jozxyqk wrote:Latest update divides the four kickstarted modules into four "bundles" and promises that "[y]ou will receive a bundle or two every few months until everyone has all of their print copies." So for those of us who have still received nothing, I guess this means we'll have our stuff in .... a year? Cripes.

Hey, why won't you answer my PM's to you?
John Adams
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:

Huh -- I actually hadn't noticed that you sent me one. Did you send more than one? But why would you offer to send mine special without knowing what tier I am or whether I paid extra for expedited shipping? It seems like those people should get priority rather than random people posting on forums. I'd prefer to just wait my turn.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

There are obviously big problems with this Kickstarter, but I believe John is trying to do right. Things will get done eventually.

Look at Cairn Rpg - im out $48 - and get nothing.
Look at the Patrons, Daemons, etc. book for DCC RPG- again- $50 and I get nothing.
Those guys are giving NOTHING. Gone. No updates, no promises, nothing.

At least with his, I feel I'll get everything- it will just take time.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Blood Axe,

I'm very sorry that AD&BB turned out the way it did; I did a lot of writing and promotion for that project, and I never got physical copies, either. Did you at least receive pdfs?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

jozxyqk wrote:
Coleston the Cavalier wrote:

Huh -- I actually hadn't noticed that you sent me one. Did you send more than one? But why would you offer to send mine special without knowing what tier I am or whether I paid extra for expedited shipping? It seems like those people should get priority rather than random people posting on forums. I'd prefer to just wait my turn.
Okay, no sweat. I don't know who you are (or what level of pledge) and at the time it looked like you might just be a sock puppet. It seems you have been actively posting in other DCC threads since then.
John Adams
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Blood Axe,

I'm very sorry that AD&BB turned out the way it did; I did a lot of writing and promotion for that project, and I never got physical copies, either. Did you at least receive pdfs?
Sorry to threadjack. The actual product was great. A shame it turned bad, really.
I did recive a pdf, not sure I have it anymore, since I switched computers. I did ask to have it sent thru DriveThruRpg- so I could always have a copy. Never got that.
It sucks that this guy is selling this by pdf, after screwing his backers.

I have nothing but the highest respect for you, Raven Crowking. The patrons were great.

==========

Im still behind Brave Halfling & think it will all come through in the end.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Blood Axe wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:Blood Axe,

Sorry to threadjack. The actual product was great. A shame it turned bad, really.
I did recive a pdf, not sure I have it anymore, since I switched computers. I did ask to have it sent thru DriveThruRpg- so I could always have a copy. Never got that.
It sucks that this guy is selling this by pdf, after screwing his backers.

I have nothing but the highest respect for you, Raven Crowking. The patrons were great.

==========

Im still behind Brave Halfling & think it will all come through in the end.
If you received through DriveThruRpg, you should be able to recover the file(s) from them. If you have any problems, contact me.

Paul Wolfe was the author behind the patrons I did not write up, and he deserves a lot of credit for his work, too. Some of the best patrons in the book were his.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”