16 DCC Level Zeroes vs. Pathfinder Level 1 Adventure

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for posting of actual play of DCC RPG. Not necessarily rules questions/discussion, but the saga of your adventures and campaigns, details of adventures that played particularly well (or not), and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

16 DCC Level Zeroes vs. Pathfinder Level 1 Adventure

Post by Aplus »

I recently ran Paizo's free We Be Goblins module with a group of four players each controlling four level-0 DCC characters. It was awesome fun, and I highly recommend it.

My report is here: http://peoplethemwithmonsters.blogspot. ... e-fun.html

The verdict: Pathfinder level 1 adventures work fine for DCC level-0 play, but be conscious of AoE and swarms, as they can decimate a level-0 group.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or in the comments section on my blog.

Thanks!
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: 16 DCC Level Zeroes vs. Pathfinder Level 1 Adventure

Post by finarvyn »

I just noticed this thread and it got me wondering just how many 0-level dudes are equal to characters of various levels and how well regular modules work with level-0 characters.

Most parties in modules are 4-5 characters, I think, so 4-5 level-1 guys must be somewhere around 16 level-0. Maybe a 4:1 ratio is about right, since the level-1 guys have better hit points and probably better equipment. In general there isn't a lot that level-1 fighters can do more than a handful of level-0 guys, although clearly the level-0 characters don't have access to spells that clerics and magic users would have.

Imagine trying to run level-0 guys through some of the old Gygax adventures which are designed for parties of levels 10 to 12! :shock:

Nice write up, by the way! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: 16 DCC Level Zeroes vs. Pathfinder Level 1 Adventure

Post by abk108 »

finarvyn wrote: Imagine trying to run level-0 guys through some of the old Gygax adventures which are designed for parties of levels 10 to 12! :shock:
Imagine this:

DM : "Ok, so the village elder explains the vision he had in his dream last night:
<<I saw this tall figure, a skeleton wrapped in a magician's robes, and he was eating our fellow villagers one by one, sucking their very soul out of their eyes. Then he turned to me and said: "Beware, seeing one, for if you don't find my tomb and unravel its secrets before the next full moon, I , Acererak, shall be back!">>. Then the village elder proceeds to plead for the cooperation of all the villagers, to go find this thing which he calls "TOMB OF HORRORS". :twisted: "
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com

Return to “Actual Play Reports”