Portal Under the Stars Free RPG playtest report (spoilers)

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for posting of actual play of DCC RPG. Not necessarily rules questions/discussion, but the saga of your adventures and campaigns, details of adventures that played particularly well (or not), and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

cr0m
Ill-Fated Peasant

Portal Under the Stars Free RPG playtest report (spoilers)

Post by cr0m »

Here are the questions that came up while playing Portal Under the Stars on Free RPG Day. The ones we later found answers to are answered after the question:
  1. Can you boost your AC with Luck points? No, you can only boost your own rolls.
  2. Can you burn Luck after a die roll or just before? Either.
  3. The statues in room 1-2 throw spears that can be recovered, however the rules do not have ranges for thrown spears. Can PCs throw spears and if so what are the ranges?
  4. What table does a Crystal Statue (or any monster) use for crits?
  5. Can you burn Luck to boost a damage roll?
Some relevant stats:
  • 12 peasants entered the dungeon, 5 survived to tell the tale.
  • The only treasure recovered other than arms/armor was the crystal ball, as they did not find the secret door to the treasure room.
  • One gambler with a 7 Strength and a stick killed the generals' skeletons single-handed.
  • Only a very lucky crit on the Warlord prevented a TPK by clay soldiers.
My feedback on the rules and the dungeon:
  • The rules really captured the imagination of my players, who are clamoring to continue playing so they can try out some of the cooler features like magic, Mighty Deeds, etc.
  • The game experience really reminded me of the Red Box D&D that I've been playing.
  • Players remarked that the locked door that would open on its own in 2 hours was "dumb". I think they felt that it was a "hurry up and wait" situation--where they'd been psyched up to get into the dungeon and then... roadblock.
  • The rotating, fire shooting statue assumes that the characters will enter the room in 1 or 2 groups. Mine naturally entered in 6+ groups of 1-2 guys and spread out all over. Then they opened all 3 exits at the same time and two guys climbed onto the statue and began attacking the outstretched finger and head. At a certain point there were four guys riding the statue trying to "find the fuel source" while everyone else huddled outside the room, afraid to move. I allowed them to eventually (after several activation/deactivation cycles) to locate the fuel source in the head and crack it enough with a hammer to deactivate it. A little more guidance here wouldn't hurt as far as statue rides and reactions to other behaviors. It ended up being fairly exciting, since there were crystal statues trying to pull them off nearly the entire time.
  • Fantastic map. Really, really fantastic.
  • This adventure would work really well as a one-pager.
  • We were all a little disappointed that because of the 0-level funnel, we didn't get to use the majority of the rules! A first level adventure might be a better way to showcase the beta.
  • Fumbles and criticals were enjoyed by all!
Next time around, I'm going to have the players advance the survivors to 5th level and play the other Free RPG Day adventure. Stay tuned for that report, and thanks for a very entertaining game!
Red Box Vancouver: We play old school D&D!
And Planet Algol. We also have a Blog.
cr0m
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Portal Under the Stars Free RPG playtest report (spoiler

Post by cr0m »

If anyone can answer the bolded questions below, I'd really appreciate it. Spears, monster crits and Luck on a damage roll. All worthy questions!
cr0m wrote:
  1. Can you boost your AC with Luck points? No, you can only boost your own rolls.
  2. Can you burn Luck after a die roll or just before? Either.
  3. The statues in room 1-2 throw spears that can be recovered, however the rules do not have ranges for thrown spears. Can PCs throw spears and if so what are the ranges?
  4. What table does a Crystal Statue (or any monster) use for crits?
  5. Can you burn Luck to boost a damage roll?
Red Box Vancouver: We play old school D&D!
And Planet Algol. We also have a Blog.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

3. Spears in this game are long and not meant for throwing. For that you want Javelins.
4. If you download the GM tables you will find a monster crit table that you can substitute in for now. In the full rules you will have proper tables for monsters.
5. Yes.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

bholmes4 wrote:4. If you download the GM tables
Which can be found here.

Return to “Actual Play Reports”